Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Lingering noise in the engine after ignition off (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/lingering-noise-engine-after-ignition-off-212205/)

JaguarJacks 12-28-2018 09:14 PM

Lingering noise in the engine after ignition off

What’s up fellow Jaggers !
My 2001 S-Type started having this loud running noise even after I shut the engine off ( for a few minutes )
the noise is coming from the engine area and it’s blowing air

Any suggestions ?

Paul792 12-29-2018 01:29 AM

Hi JaguarJacks
The electric fan is coming on. This will stay on for 5 minutes and turn itself off.

If you open the engine compartment when you stop the car you will see if this is the case. As the fans will be running. I believe it is a safeguard that they run on.

However, you need to check that your engine is not getting too hot. The temperature gauge is only a gauge and doesn't accurately give your engine temperature. So keep an eye on your gauge going over half way. Mine sits just under half on the gauge. I would not drive it if it goes over the half mark as you might overheat the engine.

Good luck
Paul

JagV8 12-29-2018 11:23 AM

Only seems to happen in extreme hot parts of the globe or when there's a fault - car is defending itself best it can.

NBCat 12-29-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks (Post 2006399)
...My 2001 S-Type started having this loud running noise even after I shut the engine off ( for a few minutes )
the noise is coming from the engine area and it’s blowing air...

If the radiator fan is still running after the ignition has been turned off, it usually indicates a sticking or stuck thermostat. When the engine is cold, check the coolant level at the reservoir and top up with coolant meeting Jaguar specification.

What engine is fitted to the car?

JaguarJacks 12-29-2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2006604)
If the radiator fan is still running after the ignition has been turned off, it usually indicates a sticking or stuck thermostat. When the engine is cold, check the coolant level at the reservoir and top up with coolant meeting Jaguar specification.

3L

JaguarJacks 12-29-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Paul792 (Post 2006454)
Hi JaguarJacks
The electric fan is coming on. This will stay on for 5 minutes and turn itself off.

If you open the engine compartment when you stop the car you will see if this is the case. As the fans will be running. I believe it is a safeguard that they run on.

However, you need to check that your engine is not getting too hot. The temperature gauge is only a gauge and doesn't accurately give your engine temperature. So keep an eye on your gauge going over half way. Mine sits just under half on the gauge. I would not drive it if it goes over the half mark as you might overheat the engine.

Good luck
Paul

Thanks bro
thats exactly what it was

JaguarJacks 12-29-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2006604)

3L
just added some WaterWetter , and it’s all good !
thanks

JaguarJacks 12-29-2018 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 2006598)
Only seems to happen in extreme hot parts of the globe or when there's a fault - car is defending itself best it can.

yeah man
S-type seems to stand for SMART

NBCat 12-29-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks (Post 2006734)
...3L...just added some WaterWetter , and it’s all good ! thanks

Use a smart phone with Bluetooth connection and OBD reader such as Elm327 and Torque app to read engine temperature in 'real time'.

Do not depend on the instrument cluster gauge to indicate the engine temperature on the 3 litre unit. The gauge does not change its indication between 85 C and 129 C. At 129 C damage to the cylinder heads and or block may be the result.

JaguarJacks 12-29-2018 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2006801)
Use a smart phone with Bluetooth connection and OBD reader such as Elm327 and Torque app to read engine temperature in 'real time'.

Do not depend on the instrument cluster gauge to indicate the engine temperature on the 3 litre unit. The gauge does not change its indication between 85 C and 129 C. At 129 C damage to the cylinder heads and or block may be the result.

Thou all we use Fahrenheit over here
thanks for heads up , partner

JaguarJacks 12-30-2018 09:45 PM

Antifreeze leak under the engine ...
any suggeations ?

scottjh9 12-30-2018 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks (Post 2007341)
Antifreeze leak under the engine ...
any suggeations ?

First off if you accidentally overfilled then it will spit it out the overflow tube...if that is not the case then get the car up in the air...either ramps or jackstands...use a radiator pump type pressurizer...take off the bottom plastic engine/radiator covers.... pressurize it up and start looking ..hoses...water pump and the dccv valve are common...it is the easiest way because you do it on a cold engine so you can get your hands in to move things a bit...and the plastic fill tank can get unseen hairline cracks...this method is how I found my leak after getting tired of burnt fingers...I know..... I was being a hard head by not using the cold pressure test from the get go

JaguarJacks 12-31-2018 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9 (Post 2007359)
First off if you accidentally overfilled then it will spit it out the overflow tube...if that is not the case then get the car up in the air...either ramps or jackstands...use a radiator pump type pressurizer...take off the bottom plastic engine/radiator covers.... pressurize it up and start looking ..hoses...water pump and the dccv valve are common...it is the easiest way because you do it on a cold engine so you can get your hands in to move things a bit...and the plastic fill tank can get unseen hairline cracks...this method is how I found my leak after getting tired of burnt fingers...I know..... I was being a hard head by not using the cold pressure test from the get go

DCCV Valve vs Water Pump
Any simpler troubleshooting to know the difference ?

kr98664 12-31-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks (Post 2007372)
DCCV Valve vs Water Pump
Any simpler troubleshooting to know the difference ?

Yes.

If the DCCV is wet with coolant, then the DCCV has a leak.
If the water pump is wet with coolant, then the water pump has a leak.

All seriousness aside, as previously suggested, beg, borrow, or steal a cooling system pressure tester. Unless you've got a super obvious leak source, the tester is the way to go. It will build up much higher pressure than just idling the engine, making leaks much easier to find. It's safer to search with the engine off, as nothing will be moving.

When you do find the apparent source, be careful it's not actually spraying a tiny stream from elsewhere and misleading you. I've had this happen on several occasions. You'd swear the leak was at point A, but it was actually several inches away at point B. Don't let that throw you.

NBCat 12-31-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks (Post 2006819)
Thou all we use Fahrenheit over here
thanks for heads up , partner

Where is 'over here'? Add your location to your profile.

Vehicle specifications are in Celsius and millimetres.

JaguarJacks 01-01-2019 08:46 AM

Water Pump !

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...fb4ad7961.jpeg

JaguarJacks 01-01-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664 (Post 2007573)
Yes.

If the DCCV is wet with coolant, then the DCCV has a leak.
If the water pump is wet with coolant, then the water pump has a leak.

All seriousness aside, as previously suggested, beg, borrow, or steal a cooling system pressure tester. Unless you've got a super obvious leak source, the tester is the way to go. It will build up much higher pressure than just idling the engine, making leaks much easier to find. It's safer to search with the engine off, as nothing will be moving.

When you do find the apparent source, be careful it's not actually spraying a tiny stream from elsewhere and misleading you. I've had this happen on several occasions. You'd swear the leak was at point A, but it was actually several inches away at point B. Don't let that throw you.

yep

JaguarJacks 01-01-2019 03:18 PM

So I’ve installed a new water pump and thermostat , the engine is still getting hot and the coolant container kinda stays full ...
any suggestions ?

NBCat 01-01-2019 03:20 PM

Did you follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual for bleeding the cooling system?

JaguarJacks 01-01-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2007998)
Did you follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual for bleeding the cooling system?

nope
whats the procedure if you don’t mind me asking