Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingering noise in the engine after ignition off

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lingering noise in the engine after ignition off

What’s up fellow Jaggers !
My 2001 S-Type started having this loud running noise even after I shut the engine off ( for a few minutes )
the noise is coming from the engine area and it’s blowing air

Any suggestions ?

Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi JaguarJacks
The electric fan is coming on. This will stay on for 5 minutes and turn itself off.

If you open the engine compartment when you stop the car you will see if this is the case. As the fans will be running. I believe it is a safeguard that they run on.

However, you need to check that your engine is not getting too hot. The temperature gauge is only a gauge and doesn't accurately give your engine temperature. So keep an eye on your gauge going over half way. Mine sits just under half on the gauge. I would not drive it if it goes over the half mark as you might overheat the engine.

Good luck
Paul

Old 12-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Only seems to happen in extreme hot parts of the globe or when there's a fault - car is defending itself best it can.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks
...My 2001 S-Type started having this loud running noise even after I shut the engine off ( for a few minutes )
the noise is coming from the engine area and it’s blowing air...
If the radiator fan is still running after the ignition has been turned off, it usually indicates a sticking or stuck thermostat. When the engine is cold, check the coolant level at the reservoir and top up with coolant meeting Jaguar specification.

What engine is fitted to the car?

Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
If the radiator fan is still running after the ignition has been turned off, it usually indicates a sticking or stuck thermostat. When the engine is cold, check the coolant level at the reservoir and top up with coolant meeting Jaguar specification.

3L

Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Paul792
Hi JaguarJacks
The electric fan is coming on. This will stay on for 5 minutes and turn itself off.

If you open the engine compartment when you stop the car you will see if this is the case. As the fans will be running. I believe it is a safeguard that they run on.

However, you need to check that your engine is not getting too hot. The temperature gauge is only a gauge and doesn't accurately give your engine temperature. So keep an eye on your gauge going over half way. Mine sits just under half on the gauge. I would not drive it if it goes over the half mark as you might overheat the engine.

Good luck
Paul
Thanks bro
thats exactly what it was

Old 12-29-2018, 04:11 PM

3L
just added some WaterWetter , and it’s all good !
thanks

Old 12-29-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Only seems to happen in extreme hot parts of the globe or when there's a fault - car is defending itself best it can.
yeah man
S-type seems to stand for SMART

Old 12-29-2018, 06:18 PM

...3L...just added some WaterWetter , and it’s all good ! thanks
Use a smart phone with Bluetooth connection and OBD reader such as Elm327 and Torque app to read engine temperature in 'real time'.

Do not depend on the instrument cluster gauge to indicate the engine temperature on the 3 litre unit. The gauge does not change its indication between 85 C and 129 C. At 129 C damage to the cylinder heads and or block may be the result.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 PM

Use a smart phone with Bluetooth connection and OBD reader such as Elm327 and Torque app to read engine temperature in 'real time'.

Do not depend on the instrument cluster gauge to indicate the engine temperature on the 3 litre unit. The gauge does not change its indication between 85 C and 129 C. At 129 C damage to the cylinder heads and or block may be the result.
Thou all we use Fahrenheit over here
thanks for heads up , partner

Old 12-30-2018, 09:45 PM

Antifreeze leak under the engine ...
any suggeations ?

Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Antifreeze leak under the engine ...
any suggeations ?
First off if you accidentally overfilled then it will spit it out the overflow tube...if that is not the case then get the car up in the air...either ramps or jackstands...use a radiator pump type pressurizer...take off the bottom plastic engine/radiator covers.... pressurize it up and start looking ..hoses...water pump and the dccv valve are common...it is the easiest way because you do it on a cold engine so you can get your hands in to move things a bit...and the plastic fill tank can get unseen hairline cracks...this method is how I found my leak after getting tired of burnt fingers...I know..... I was being a hard head by not using the cold pressure test from the get go

Old 12-31-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
First off if you accidentally overfilled then it will spit it out the overflow tube...if that is not the case then get the car up in the air...either ramps or jackstands...use a radiator pump type pressurizer...take off the bottom plastic engine/radiator covers.... pressurize it up and start looking ..hoses...water pump and the dccv valve are common...it is the easiest way because you do it on a cold engine so you can get your hands in to move things a bit...and the plastic fill tank can get unseen hairline cracks...this method is how I found my leak after getting tired of burnt fingers...I know..... I was being a hard head by not using the cold pressure test from the get go
DCCV Valve vs Water Pump
Any simpler troubleshooting to know the difference ?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,400 Posts

DCCV Valve vs Water Pump
Any simpler troubleshooting to know the difference ?

Yes.

If the DCCV is wet with coolant, then the DCCV has a leak.
If the water pump is wet with coolant, then the water pump has a leak.

All seriousness aside, as previously suggested, beg, borrow, or steal a cooling system pressure tester. Unless you've got a super obvious leak source, the tester is the way to go. It will build up much higher pressure than just idling the engine, making leaks much easier to find. It's safer to search with the engine off, as nothing will be moving.

When you do find the apparent source, be careful it's not actually spraying a tiny stream from elsewhere and misleading you. I've had this happen on several occasions. You'd swear the leak was at point A, but it was actually several inches away at point B. Don't let that throw you.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:58 AM

Thou all we use Fahrenheit over here
thanks for heads up , partner
Where is 'over here'? Add your location to your profile.

Vehicle specifications are in Celsius and millimetres.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Default Water Pump !

Old 01-01-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Yes.

If the DCCV is wet with coolant, then the DCCV has a leak.
If the water pump is wet with coolant, then the water pump has a leak.

All seriousness aside, as previously suggested, beg, borrow, or steal a cooling system pressure tester. Unless you've got a super obvious leak source, the tester is the way to go. It will build up much higher pressure than just idling the engine, making leaks much easier to find. It's safer to search with the engine off, as nothing will be moving.

When you do find the apparent source, be careful it's not actually spraying a tiny stream from elsewhere and misleading you. I've had this happen on several occasions. You'd swear the leak was at point A, but it was actually several inches away at point B. Don't let that throw you.
yep

Old 01-01-2019, 03:18 PM

So I’ve installed a new water pump and thermostat , the engine is still getting hot and the coolant container kinda stays full ...
any suggestions ?

Old 01-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Did you follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual for bleeding the cooling system?

Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Did you follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual for bleeding the cooling system?
nope
whats the procedure if you don’t mind me asking

Quick Reply: Lingering noise in the engine after ignition off