Sponsored by:

V6S Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel

Tuned GM LC9

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-27-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I've read this entire thread and it's way over my head from a gear-head perspective. I'm a new FType v6s Convertible owner and wondering if someone (unhingd) could summarize the steps to get the tune without necessarily doing anything else to the vehicle. Meaning can the tune ONLY improve performance, and if so, to what extent. What are the pre/post tune HP/Tque numbers for a V6S with nothing else. Are there any dangers/risks to the engine or other components with the Tune only? I drove the V8S before purchasing the V6S and I would not say I am regretting not getting the V8S, but maybe looking for a little more performance to add to the V6S.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by watson6505
I've read this entire thread and it's way over my head from a gear-head perspective. I'm a new FType v6s Convertible owner and wondering if someone (unhingd) could summarize the steps to get the tune without necessarily doing anything else to the vehicle. Meaning can the tune ONLY improve performance, and if so, to what extent. What are the pre/post tune HP/Tque numbers for a V6S with nothing else. Are there any dangers/risks to the engine or other components with the Tune only? I drove the V8S before purchasing the V6S and I would not say I am regretting not getting the V8S, but maybe looking for a little more performance to add to the V6S.

Thanks in advance.

Stock numbers for the V6S are 380hp/339 lb-ft.
A good tune alone should net 416hp/ ~385 lb-ft.
Either Velocity AP or Eurotoys can provide a good product with good customer support. You should speak with each to make your own decision.

So far I've seen no downside for even a far more aggressive pulley/tune approach (455hp/ 435 lb-ft).

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-03-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the data, that's exactly what I was looking for and you provided it within minutes...great resource for many of us novice F-Type owners. If you ever want to talk about the exciting world of Life Insurance software, I'm your man. Or have questions on early 90's NSX's

Few minor follow-ups:
1. Has anyone had a tune ONLY for months/years with no issues?
2, If other dealer 'work' results in the tune being wiped, is it a 'repurchase' situation or once you have it you can re-apply it as needed.
3. Does a tune void the warranty? I am assuming it does
4. Given #3, is there a way to 'return to factory defaults' without evidence of the tune? Then re-apply as needed
5. I think I saw something along the lines of $1000 for the tune, is that still the going rate or has it changed? Are there updates/patches for a Tune as it evolves?

Thanks again for all the great information on all fronts.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the data, that's exactly what I was looking for and you provided it within minutes...great resource for many of us novice F-Type owners. If you ever want to talk about the exciting world of Life Insurance software, I'm your man. Or have questions on early 90's NSX's

Few minor follow-ups:
2, If other dealer 'work' results in the tune being wiped, is it a 'repurchase' situation or once you have it you can re-apply it as needed.
4. Given #3, is there a way to 'return to factory defaults' without evidence of the tune? Then re-apply as needed
5. I think I saw something along the lines of $1000 for the tune, is that still the going rate or has it changed? Are there updates/patches for a Tune as it evolves?

1. Obviously I can't answer your first question, but as is, I have 18,000 aggressively driven miles and 2years on the tune/pulley with no issue. (waited until after the break-in period to install).
2. Both vendors mentioned above would help you out, but it probably wouldn't be necessary. They will provide a handheld device that stores both the tune as well as the OEM programming. It is recommended that you revert back to the OEM tune before taking it to the dealer for work.
3. If the failure can be attributed to the tune or the additional power, the warranty won't cover that failure. Otherwise the warranty will be honored for all other issues that might come up.
4. Yes, there is a way to do all that, but if you have catastrophic engine failure and the manufacturer gets involved with the failure forensics, they will scan your ECU and see that it has been changed (even if it's back to the OEM tune).
5. $995.
F-Type Products Velocity AP
Jaguar Personal Flasher/Tuner (VSwitch) 2010+, Eurotoys,Ltd.
Regarding updates, check with the vendors.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-03-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Few minor follow-ups:

1. I've had a VAP "tune only" on my V6S for seven months now with zero issues (other than having to be a little more careful with the right clog when in Dynamic mode!).
2. The VAP tune loaded onto the hand-held includes at least two tunes, the stock tune and at least one other, for example with and without lower pulley. VAP recommend that before you take the car to the dealer for service or warranty work you reinstall the stock tune, then when you get the car back you can reload your tune of choice. This costs nothing extra.
3. Lots of debate about whether or not the tune voids the warranty, bottom line it depends on what has failed and why it failed, if JLR detect that a tune has been applied (which they may or may not do) then they will usually attempt to deny a warranty claim.
4. Yes, you can return to the stock tune easily, but the fact that you had a tune is not undetectable, the evidence is always there, and it depends on whether or not the dealer or JLR tech look for this evidence and/or it pops up on the SDD scan. Yes, you can reapply the VAP tune easily.
5. I think the VAP price is still around the $1,000 US mark, and they are constantly tweaking and improving their tunes based on customer feedback and testing.

Edit - Lance beat me to it, as usual my typing was too slow!

Edit 2 - Lance is a tad optimistic about the stock power figure for the V6S, it's really 380 PS = 375 bhp.

Last edited by OzXFR; 09-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Great info guys and I think I have everything I need to make a decision. I really appreciate the replies and I am sure more questions are to come. I will try to put them in the relevant existing threads.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 722 Posts

When I got mine I asked for 4 tune variations:

Pump Gas (what I get at my usual station)
Race Gas (what I'd use if/when I go to my local track, Sonoma)
Each of the above, but for a larger crank pulley

I was told I only needed two, because their latest tune works with the stock pulley but has limits elevated to work with the overdrive pulley. Or, perhaps another way of looking at it is that the tune for the pulley works fine at the lower boost pressures of the stock pulley.

I haven't installed a pulley, but wanted to keep my options open.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
When I got mine I asked for 4 tune variations:

Pump Gas (what I get at my usual station)
Race Gas (what I'd use if/when I go to my local track, Sonoma)
Each of the above, but for a larger crank pulley

I was told I only needed two, because their latest tune works with the stock pulley but has limits elevated to work with the overdrive pulley. Or, perhaps another way of looking at it is that the tune for the pulley works fine at the lower boost pressures of the stock pulley.

I haven't installed a pulley, but wanted to keep my options open.

This has me a little confused. I hope maybe VAP can explain this with more detail.: How can the tune you provide be effective with the stock pulley and also be effective with the larger pulley installed? wouldn't the increased S/C RPM create different parameters for the ECU. I recently had my S/C off and when I reinstalled I was lazy and left the intake loosely connected..The MAF sensors were causing lumpy idle and the car would just die without warning during driving (thankfully I am using an OBDII scanner so it lead me to find the problem...just had to tighten the hose straps and the car was happy to get steady MAF readings). I have both now the tune and larger crank pulley. Just looking for a free lesson on S/C dynamics...hehehe

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-04-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 722 Posts

A short, oversimplified answer:

It's much more sophisticated than this, but assume that the ECU looks up RPM, throttle position, and manifold pressure pressure. A stock pulley leaves a whole section of the map unreachable due to pressure levels that will never be seen, but the rest of the map is usable.

Another oversimplification:

If more boost means more air entering the engine, as long as the map goes high enough, it should be OK.

I've probably got an email still explaining this somewhat, but need to get some painting done before it gets too hot.

Separately, if you've got air leaks, nothing will work as it should.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
A short, oversimplified answer:

It's much more sophisticated than this, but assume that the ECU looks up RPM, throttle position, and manifold pressure pressure. A stock pulley leaves a whole section of the map unreachable due to pressure levels that will never be seen, but the rest of the map is usable.

Another oversimplification:

If more boost means more air entering the engine, as long as the map goes high enough, it should be OK.

I've probably got an email still explaining this somewhat, but need to get some painting done before it gets too hot.

Separately, if you've got air leaks, nothing will work as it should.
+1. The tune that has a sufficiently expanded map to handle both the upper and lower pulley upgrades will certainly handle any combination of pulleys.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 841 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
1. Obviously I can't answer your first question, but as is, I have 18,000 aggressively driven miles and 2years on the tune/pulley with no issue. (waited until after the break-in period to install).
2. Both vendors mentioned above would help you out, but it probably wouldn't be necessary. They will provide a handheld device that stores both the tune as well as the OEM programming. It is recommended that you revert back to the OEM tune before taking it to the dealer for work.
3. If the failure can be attributed to the tune or the additional power, the warranty won't cover that failure. Otherwise the warranty will be honored for all other issues that might come up.
4. Yes, there is a way to do all that, but if you have catastrophic engine failure and the manufacturer gets involved with the failure forensics, they will scan your ECU and see that it has been changed (even if it's back to the OEM tune).
5. $995.
F-Type Products Velocity AP
Jaguar Personal Flasher/Tuner (VSwitch) 2010+, Eurotoys,Ltd.
Regarding updates, check with the vendors.

Hello. Thinks some others answered most of your questions, but - if you use coupon code JAGFORUMS at checkout on our site, you'll get a 10% discount.

We don't charge for retunes in the instance of dealer overwriting. Our philosophy is to provide as much free value & service to the customer as possible in the belief that this will keep people coming back in the long term.

We also provide any future revisions free of charge, upon request.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 09-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hello. Thinks some others answered most of your questions, but - if you use coupon code JAGFORUMS at checkout on our site, you'll get a 10% discount.

We don't charge for retunes in the instance of dealer overwriting. Our philosophy is to provide as much free value & service to the customer as possible in the belief that this will keep people coming back in the long term.

We also provide any future revisions free of charge, upon request.
Stuart

What revisions have taken place in the V6S tune since last December if any and what issues did they address?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Stuart

What revisions have taken place in the V6S tune since last December if any and what issues did they address?
We had some ppl experience a touchy throttle when installing a crank pulley and selecting dynamic mode. I edited a few maps and made things a little more tame.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Stuart, another question:
I got my tune from you back in January 2017, including the "with lower pulley" tune which I intend to apply once I get the lower pulley, maybe in 5 or 6 months time.
However I really like instant snappy throttle response so I would prefer not to have a "tamed" tune. Should I use the tune I currently have or when the time comes should I ask you to provide an updated version?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
We had some ppl experience a touchy throttle when installing a crank pulley and selecting dynamic mode. I edited a few maps and made things a little more tame.
I recently reverted to my stock tune for a few weeks for a dealer service (why a few weeks? - long story) when I re-flashed the VAP tune (no pulley) I did notice the throttle was a LOT more twitchy in dynamic mode. I noticed it when I initially flashed it back in the spring but just got used to it.

Is the VAP tune for cars with and without the pulley the same now?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Stuart, another question:
I got my tune from you back in January 2017, including the "with lower pulley" tune which I intend to apply once I get the lower pulley, maybe in 5 or 6 months time.
However I really like instant snappy throttle response so I would prefer not to have a "tamed" tune. Should I use the tune I currently have or when the time comes should I ask you to provide an updated version?
I can make you both tunes and put on the vtech..you choose, which one to use

Chris

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 09-04-2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I recently reverted to my stock tune for a few weeks for a dealer service (why a few weeks? - long story) when I re-flashed the VAP tune (no pulley) I did notice the throttle was a LOT more twitchy in dynamic mode. I noticed it when I initially flashed it back in the spring but just got used to it.

Is the VAP tune for cars with and without the pulley the same now?
The tune will be much more touchy than stock.

When the lower pulley was installed, it makes the feel of an aggressive throttle in dynamic on our regular tune be amp'd up, almost non-usable in dynamic mode. So I backed of some tables to make things feel more smooth(no power loss).

The blast of power some feel, isn't a touchy "throttle pedal" though, that's just you getting all the available power present in the lower rpm versus jaguar limiting you to only 45%.

None of our Bosch equipped Jaguar/LR tunes have anything played with on the actual throttle maps. I could edit them, but that's just a fake power feel, I believe in the driver just pushing the throttle more and NOT making a false feeling... On our file, this touchy throttle is related to the load allowance of torque being increased.

Chris

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 214 Posts

I know making a "latest" version of the tune for everybody each time is probably untenable as as a small company but maybe you could email owners with a change list from time to time to keep us in the loop ? I discovered the mod for the touchy throttle in dynamic mode with the lower pulley on this forum, and that confirmed it wasn't "just me" so I was happier sending you an email for the same mod. I don't suppose you change many things that often anyway as its not like adding new features to a software program, more evolution than revolution....

Old 09-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I know making a "latest" version of the tune for everybody each time is probably untenable as as a small company but maybe you could email owners with a change list from time to time to keep us in the loop ? I discovered the mod for the touchy throttle in dynamic mode with the lower pulley on this forum, and that confirmed it wasn't "just me" so I was happier sending you an email for the same mod. I don't suppose you change many things that often anyway as its not like adding new features to a software program, more evolution than revolution....
I do make notes in our files saved about which dates I made the edits, then when a clients asks, I can look at the file created date in Windows to see if something has been updated. But it's not like power is missing or not as advertised, it's only related to a client "concern". If you like the way the car responds, there's no issue to correct..

We have a few hundred Jags tuned with our files, to sort through them and tag emails to all users, would be near impossible unless we purchased a program just to do such task. We would also need the clients consent to send these emails which can be considered as spam, and we would need a way for the clients to update there emails and let us know about transfer of titles. Then I would also have to track which clients have accepted the new edit and which client do not. Way to many things can go wrong and get mixed up for future edits when I "think" a particular file is in the ecu when in fact it's been flashed back to the pre-updated file.

With the above mentioned, it's much easier and safer to let a client send me an email when they feel an issue is present.

Chris

Quick Reply: V6S Tune