Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Anyone have an extra J-Gate micro switches (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/anyone-have-extra-j-gate-micro-switches-115864/)

ltmax 04-14-2014 06:51 PM

Anyone know where in USA to get J-Gate micro switches

Anyone out there who has fixed that annoying click from their J-Gate every time you step on the brake know where I can buy or have some extra micro switches.

Part Numbers are: Maplin N96AQ and Maplin N97AQ

Having a hard time finding them available in USA and the company in the UK doesn't seem to ship them overseas.

Thanks!

http://images.maplinmedia.co.uk/mini...ou7eqIj&V=IJRz

Miniature Microswitch with Roller

Code: N97AQ

http://images.maplinmedia.co.uk/mini...nVBwZMj&V=C9Ef

Miniature Microswitch with Lever

Code: N96AQ

Jac 04-15-2014 08:45 AM

You might find what you need here: Search Results | Newark element14 US The 36K7638 looks very similar.

Stuart Beattie 04-15-2014 09:50 AM

Hi Ltmax,

Sounds like you are hard at work again, if you are struggling, pm me and we can work something out, I am sure if they have them in stock I can send them over but theyll take a while by post!

Search Micro switch N96AQ | Maplin

Search Micro switch N97AQ | Maplin

Regards, Stu :)

ltmax 04-15-2014 05:30 PM

Thanks Jac and Stuart,

My wife is from Greenock Scotland, we met back in the 1980's when I was stationed over there with the Navy. I might take you up on your offer but I'll try and see if my brother in law who lives over there can pick them up for me first.

I guess it would be smart to take it apart first and find out which one is bad before I do though and don't want to risk buying another brand switch without looking at it or hearing from someone that knows they fit.

Unfortunately my little money pit is at the transmission shop getting the no reverse problem sorted out and that's going to take a week or so now that they told me this morning that the trans has to come back out to fix it......

I must have dropped more than $3k in the last month alone just on parts not counting my 60 odd hours of labor to fix the laundry list of problems this neglected beauty had, and now I'm in it way more than it's worth...

The things we do for out kids.... my daughter better love this thing because I've got a feeling she will be driving it for a very long time....

Stuart Beattie 04-15-2014 07:15 PM

Ltmax,

No worries but the offer is there if you need?
You've done some great posts and your solid and invaluable input is relentless and I envy your strategy!

Likewise I am sure many members appreciate your timeless and seemingly endless resource and vitality and although it may seem tiring and never-ending you give insight and much sought after advice and reassurance to novices like me.

The zest and aptitude you show adds to this great forum and I am glad you joined:
Thank you and I feel a small favour is little recompense for a well respected and resolute admirable asset to us all here, Thank you, stu :)
God Bless you, your Good lady and Greenock!

ltmax 04-15-2014 08:05 PM

Thanks for the very kind words!

I'll continue to help out the team here whenever I can and hopefully after soo many items fixed or replaced on the X-Type in the last 6 weeks (and counting) she will be back on the road very soon and good for another 100k miles.

Those common problem threads and the service manual software were very helpful. I never imagined the night I towed this beauty home (not running) that it would need nearly every single one of those common problems posted here fixed like the transfer case bearings, wheel bearings, headlight adjusters, control arms, drivers door latch, nearly all engine gaskets, tensioners, idler rollers, knock sensor, crank sensor, wheel bearings, O2 sensors, rear catalytic converter, transmission, etc...

All that's left is getting the trans sorted, putting new gears in the seat motors, re-welding/attaching the rear sway bar mounting bracket, fixing the J-gate clicking noise, replacing the prop shaft bearing, front sway bar end links... oops... wait a minute.. never mind, the list is still pretty long..........

Stuart Beattie 04-16-2014 04:13 AM

Ltmax, Good Luck!

Originally Posted by ltmax (Post 955511)
Thanks for the very kind words!

I'll continue to help out the team here whenever I can and hopefully after soo many items fixed or replaced on the X-Type in the last 6 weeks (and counting) she will be back on the road very soon and good for another 100k miles.

Those common problem threads and the service manual software were very helpful. I never imagined the night I towed this beauty home (not running) that it would need nearly every single one of those common problems posted here fixed like the transfer case bearings, wheel bearings, headlight adjusters, control arms, drivers door latch, nearly all engine gaskets, tensioners, idler rollers, knock sensor, crank sensor, wheel bearings, O2 sensors, rear catalytic converter, transmission, etc...

All that's left is getting the trans sorted, putting new gears in the seat motors, re-welding/attaching the rear sway bar mounting bracket, fixing the J-gate clicking noise, replacing the prop shaft bearing, front sway bar end links... oops... wait a minute.. never mind, the list is still pretty long..........

PHEW! Hang in there, your daughter will be thrilled. Stu :):icon_dance-tap:

ltmax 05-18-2014 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Stuart, got the micro switches you sent me and pulled my shifter apart today to fix the constant clicking every time I stepped on the brake.

My shifter only had one micro switch in it and it was bad, it would open the circuit normally but when the contacts closed (in park) it had about 4 ohms of resistance and I guess that was enough to keep the circuit from recognizing that it was in park. This kept the park lockout function from working (you could take it out of park even when the engine was off and foot wasn't on the brake) and the solenoid clicked every time it was in drive and you stepped on the brake.

Replaced the switch and all is good again. The new switch didn't have a plunger, it had a long metal lever on it that I had to bend/fold over into a triangle shape to get it to work correctly but it worked perfect after a little trial and error.

Thankfully with your help, I now have one more minor but very irritating problem solved.

Many Many Thanks!!!!

Stuart Beattie 05-19-2014 04:28 AM

Thank you Max,

I am surprised at the lack of plunger and having to bend it.

BUT very glad you are now sorted, your ingenuity once again and this is a great post for those who have that "ANNOYING CLICK"!!

Sadly that phrase is synonymous with a Jaguar J-Gate so I am hearing!!!

Well done Max!!! :)

flyrr100 05-21-2014 08:51 AM

Hi Stuart. I'm Jeff in Orlando. Just south of Jacksonville.
I also have that annoying click under my J Gate. Can you get me one if those magical switches?

Jac 05-21-2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by flyrr100 (Post 979769)
Hi Stuart. I'm Jeff in Orlando. Just south of Jacksonville.
I also have that annoying click under my J Gate. Can you get me one if those magical switches?

You can get them pretty cheap: SS-5GL2 - OMRON ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS SS-5GL2 - MICRO SWITCH, ROLLER LEVER, SPDT 5A 125V | Newark element14 US

ltmax 05-21-2014 06:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
If anyone wants to do this repair, I'd recommend that you try and order a micro switch that looks like this.

The one's that I thought I needed that Stuart sent me (Thanks so much Stu you rock!!) worked ok after some fiddling but having learned from my mistakes; it might be better to get the exact replacement one rather than having to bend the metal actuator arm of the N97AQ switch from a flat bar into a triangle to make it work.

flyrr100 05-31-2014 02:02 PM

Where do I get one of these?

ltmax 06-01-2014 04:44 AM

You first may want to try giving the micro-switch a good shot of contact cleaner, mine only had a few ohms of resistance when closed causing all my trouble.

Jac 06-01-2014 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by flyrr100 (Post 986660)
Where do I get one of these?

You can find almost any micro switch that you need here. Search Results | Newark element14 US