Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Driveline vibration (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/driveline-vibration-1204/)

RudyF6 03-09-2007 12:50 PM

Driveline vibration

2003 X-type with30,000 mi. on it- Dealer tells me it needs a driveshaft ass'y (that's on backorder) to fix a vibe that happens from about 55-75 mph. I figured as much, but what bothers me is the loaner I got was a 2007 with 7,000 miles that had exactly the same problem. Is a driveshaft replacementpart of routine maintenance, or what? :eek:
Advisor told me the complaint is more common when it's cold (great - bought awd for a winter car!).
Anybody else having this issue?

amishboy 03-09-2007 01:08 PM

RE: Driveline vibration

I have a 2004 with 32,000 miles. Dealer told me same thing. waiting on the part to come in. Mine was making a more of a whinning noise not a humming sound thou. Sounds like a common problem.

RudyF6 03-09-2007 01:15 PM

How long have you waited? Just yesterday I was told it may be 3 weeks. :(

racerx82 03-09-2007 04:27 PM

Driveshaft is a problem, not because it's bad, but because there is a gasket between the flange and driveshaft. The gasket, over time, (heat, cold...etc) contract and expands quicker than the metal, one being steel and the other aluminum, causes the bolts to loosen up. This makes the driveshaft twist off center causing the vibration.

The fix is to replace the gasket, line up the shaft and torque the bolts back inplace.

Your driveshaft is being replaced because it must have been loose for quite some time and may have bent.

bojangles 03-09-2007 05:27 PM

hmm do tell racer... should we be checking our bolts? is this at the transmission output flange? you call it a gasket? what is is sealing ? I dont get it really.. do you have a pic?

RudyF6 03-09-2007 06:36 PM

Good info, Racer. Looks like a p.o.s. design, but we'll see how a new shaft goes. Might have to make checking bolt torque on the joint and center bearing bolts might be part of routine maintenance.

racerx82 03-11-2007 10:37 PM

Personally I think it's a great design and a good thought process went into it. The gasket seperates the two metals...aluminum and steel with aluminum bolts.

If they used an aluminum drive shaft, there would be no worries....but they decided to make it out of steel for reliability the different metals don't like each other...lol...

You can check it yourself, green line should be lined up.....if not, loosen bolts, align, and re-torque...

03-11-2007 11:58 PM

Hey everyone.

When I saw this thread, I knew I was going to be making my first posting @ jaguarforums. I also have had the exact same problem with my '02 2.5L X-Type. In fact, I've had it repaired twice now for this vibration problem. The description of your vibration matched mine to a T (both times) - anoticable increase in vehicle vibration, in particular when in the 55mph-70mph band. My dealer told me the same thing that has beendiscussed in this forum - that a gasket has worn out and it basically caused a series of domino effects that resulted in my drive shaft needing replaced. This happened on both occasions - last month and almost exactly a year ago - during cold weather. Worse than the vibrations, though, was a very loud tone that developed from under the car in the 20mph to 30mph band. The dealer told me this was related to the same cause. While I'm unsure of the accuracy of the dealers information, I do know that while I still enjoy my car, had it not been for the extended warranty that I purchased for the vehicle, I would be completely broke right now, as this recurring vibration problem is just a portion of the problems I've had with the vehicle. Since I bought this car (with 16,323 miles on it) in Aug'05, I've had the displeasure of having to put it in the shop for the following:
-A/C compressor leaking oil, replaced compressor...Feb '07
-Replaced driveshaft for the aforementioned vibration problem...Feb '07
-Windows were constantly fogged during winter, had to replace the entire air-conditioning system...Jan '07
-Engine control module malfunctioned, rendering engine virtually non-responsive, save for some awkward revving, and it sent a signal to driver stating transmission error (though the transmission turned out to be fine - this was all module related)...Dec '06
-Had the driveshaft replaced the first time for the same problem as described above...Feb '06
-Had to replace the interlock assembly because everytime I let off the brake pedal the gearshift made a clicking noise...Nov '05

These are just the big-ticket items, as I've had to have several smaller problems (ex:squeaky window) were easy and fairly inexpensive fixes. But if not for my extended warranty, I'd be broke, as these big-ticket items alone cost well over $1000 each time it was in the shop.

In short, I still really enjoy the car, however, I wish that I knew why Jaguar (or should I blame Ford?) has so many QC problems (what's with the cheap, plastic-ish interior components?). I can't decide yet whether it's an engineering problem, or if I should blame the parts manufacturers for making inferior parts. But the bottom line is this: enjoy your X-Type's, gentlemen (and ladies, if there are any on the postings), but please don't think that your vehicle will be problem free. Surely, not everyone will endure the number/sort of problems that I have had, but I advise that everyone be prepared for the worst- just in case.

~Casper

Dunhill 03-12-2007 12:17 AM

Hey Guys,

I am going to have the dealer look at my car for similar problem. Seems like there is whining/vibration as well with my 03 Jag. When i take it in for 40K service, I will have them look at this along with other minor issues.

Dunhill 03-12-2007 12:27 AM

Racer,

By the way, how common is this? My warranty runs out in Jun 07. Should i get extended warranty? I don't want to be paying money out of pocket every year to fix something so costly???

03-12-2007 12:50 AM

Dunhill,

I know you were asking Racer and not me, but my advice is get the extended warranty. I've earnedthe cost of the warrantyback3 times over, no BS. If I remember, you have an '03,so I'm sure you'll have less bugs to work out than I have so far (mine was the first year model - always more problems with those cars than with the ones that follow them), but even if you only have one major problem (versus my several), you could very well earnthe money back that you put in the extended warranty.

FYI- My mother has an '04 X-Type and she's not had nearly the trouble (if any at all, honestly) that I've had, so it's very well possible I've just had some bad luck. Put another way, you couldbe in the clear. But I still think an extended warranty is a smart investment.

Best of luck,

Casper

03-12-2007 09:59 AM

Wow - I'm wondering if this is something I should worry about. I just bought a 2005 X-type and she does have a fine shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Is this gasket problemsomething that's an issue for that year, andIshould I insistthe dealer have a look at this? (Have to take her back for new tires and an interior detail anyway...)

racerx82 03-12-2007 11:36 AM

Hi and welcome Pharmgirl,
your 05 should be fine as far as the driveshaft is concerned. All the bugs were worked out by the time the 05's rolled out off the assembly line so you don't have too much to worry about. As for the shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speed....I would get the tires balanced and rotated....

If you don't mind me asking, what you pay for it and how many miles on it?

bigdreams05 03-12-2007 12:01 PM

Put it like this, if you get the extended warranty, you'll have peace of mind. If you don't and something happens(knock on wood), you'll be kicking yourself in your --- for not getting it!

racerx82 03-12-2007 12:04 PM

lol, that's one way of putting it...lol

Dunhill 03-12-2007 02:21 PM

Racer,

Anymore research and answers.

I will look into an extended warranty thing. I like to keep the car as long as i can, and i sure don't want to spend more money on it for repairs.

bojangles 03-12-2007 03:01 PM

warranty is only as good as the people that do the repairs. I have not found a single dealer that does work properly. Some try to make the customer happy.. but they do seem to botch a lot of jobs.

If the people that work the Jag assembly line doing the same job over and over and over cant get the part installed right.. what makes you think that the local technician is going to to a better job?

racerx82 03-12-2007 07:12 PM

It's a personal preferance....If you feel you need it get it...(can't hurt) I don't normally hold on to any of my car after the warranty runs out so I never get it...by the end of the 3 or 4th year, i'm boared with the car and end up getting new one with new warranty...lol i know it's cheesy...but hey....i can't take the money with me...and I'm not leaving it for the kids...lol

X2 Jag 03-12-2007 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: caspercollins

......I've had to have several smaller problems (ex:squeaky window) were easy and fairly inexpensive fixes.
[/align][/align]I always thought the squeaky window on my passenger side window was cause by the tint. What is the fix for that issue? [&:][/align]

03-12-2007 09:51 PM

Hi, thanks for the info and the welcome!

Yep, a tire rotation/balance is in the works, asI'm supposed to get 2 new tires sometime soon. (Will ask the dealer to check out a pesky rattle under theright side dash at the same time, and disable the &@%$ auto-lock feature.)

Racer, I paid $23,800 for my X-type (and got agood deal for my trade-in), and it's right at 30,000 miles. My car's not all tricked out with a lot of options, (heated seats would have been a plus...) but most I wouldn't have known what to do with 'em, anyway. And... there was an accident on the CarFax history. It was in CA, and they're not required tospecify the extent of damage, but any body work that might have been done is undetectable, and she's dead stable on the hands-off-the-wheel, stomp-on-the-brakes test. Plus, the dealer offered the car as a Jaguar Select model, and he assured me that if there had been any frame damage, that wouldn't have been possible.

(If it sounds like I'm trying to convince myself a bit on that one, I am. Just run with it...)