Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   New member with quick question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/new-member-quick-question-9739/)

JagMcNag 12-19-2008 02:49 PM

New member with quick question

Hey guys, new member here with a wheel/tire question.I used to own a 99 SVT Contour which I understand should be same chassis as the XType (Mondeo chassis). We can't seem to get away from the Fords lol.Anyways my mom bought an 03 X Type a few months ago and she's having a problem with tire rubbing/fender damage.She bought it with some aftermarket chrome 18s on it equippedwith some Nankang 235/40/18s. She's not having any issues with the rears that I know of,but she's pretty much pulled the front fenders out in multiple spots, and crackedsome paintin the process. Tostop the bleeding, I need tofix her troubles for Christmas, but I'm really struggling coming up with anything here. I was going to get her some Rial Comos with tires,which I think fit the looks of the X type from what I've seen, but she insists on having chrome wheels, which I happen todespise lol. So my attempts to convince her to ditch the chromies have failed and I'm looking for alternative solutions now...I hate to get rid of the superb quality of the Nankangs *cough lol*, but I've seen 225/40/18 and even 215/40/18 as common tires run on this platform. I know this will bring the sidewall in a little, but will it be significant enough to stop the fender bending? She's on stock suspension as far as I can tell and it looks like she should have plenty of clearance, but maybe these cars have a fairly soft suspension? I have an 06 A4 with coiloverssetjustoff the tire, with spacers flush to the fender and get little to no rub. I'm not seeing how her's is tearing the fender lip apart, the only thing I can think of is the offset being wrong or the tires being too tall. Does anybody know where I can pick upa cheap, decent lookingchrome 18" wheel/tire package? Orif I can knock the tire down to a 225/40 or maybe evena 215/40 if they're not stretching on the wheels, will that fix it? Obviously the cheaper and most logical optionwould be the latter, but does anybody know what width of wheel the 215/40 can max out on before it stretches? Is this rubbing a common problem on the X Types? Thanks, I appreciate any help you can send my way:)

H20boy 12-19-2008 03:12 PM

RE: New member with quick question

I'm not familiar with the x-type specs on the wheels, offset, etc. But my first guess is that the offset is way off to be hitting the fenders. Wider wheels and tires add to the problem even moreso. Other x-type owners will drop by and chime in on this also, but your best bet is to take the factory specs and get yourself new rims and tires, maybe go +1 on the diameter, but keep the rest as close to spec as possible. I don't like chrome either anymore. Maybe you can talk her into a brushed aluminum with a chrome lip...much more tasteful in my opinion.

I like these two in the 18" option for the x... but I always tend to lean towards the 5-6 spoke type in my cars.

http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels...Wheels.029.jpg http://matt.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p729549961.jpg

christo 12-19-2008 05:14 PM

Dont know much about your rim problem, but I ran those Nankangs for a while on my veedub with hp racing evo rims. I really don't have anything negative to say about them, but they came with the rims. Someone once said they were like goodyear in Japan and I cracked up. Maybe I can say they treadware is a little weak.

Paul 12-20-2008 02:21 AM

the offset on the wheels, must be completely wrong for the car. i can't figure any other way it would be rubbing so bad.
my x-type is a sport model with factory 18" wheels. the tires are 225/40.
im surprised the rear tire isnt rubbing on your moms car. im pretty sure my sport model has stiffer suspension, but i cant imagine her's bottoming out and hitting the fender because the overall diameter is still close to stock. unless her shocks are just completely gone, or the car has been lowered.

maybe there are spacers behind the wheels?
at any rate, i would try buying some used factory jaguar wheels online.

djdex 12-20-2008 02:29 PM

I believe the offset should be 42mm or more. I read somewhere that the max tire width for the x-type is 225, so you could reduce size to that, sadly I can't be certain that'll be enough, can you visibly check if 5mm on the outside of the rim will be enough? If not will a friendly retailer try one on for you?
Personally I only ever fit manufacturer rims having had these problems in the past.

Edit - You can have the front wheel arches rolled back professionally, that & 225 tires would likely cure it. Just for info - the rear arches cannot be rolled on the X-type.

JagMcNag 12-22-2008 02:10 PM

Ok thanks guys. She's too stubborn for her owngood, so I think I'm going to try some 225/40s and hope they work. I'd say with the decrease in width and sidewall, we might havea fighting chance. To reply to the question above, you can't really see a 5mm difference. I have 5mm spacers on my fronts and it's just to clear the calipers, it's definitely not a dramatic difference. But it is just enough to cause slight rubbing every now and then, so I'll pray the 225/40s get rid of the problem...if that doesn't work, I'll just get the front fenders rolled. Thanks for the help :)

JimC64 12-22-2008 09:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 185959Attachment 185960Attachment 185961Attachment 185962

Hey Jagmcnag........check out the "x type FAQ quick link" post within the x type section.
There is post after post after post ....all about rim sizes / tyre sizes / offsets etc etc
You may find it useful

All the best

Jim