Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Urgent A/C Compressor Help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/urgent-c-compressor-help-184721/)

Spikepaga 06-28-2017 07:13 PM

Urgent A/C Compressor Help

Hello all;

My new to me 50k mile 2005 's compressor is making a strange noise when it's on. I thought it was a pulley at first, but i took it to my trusted A/C tech and he thinks it's the compressor. It's not terribly loud, but I would like to get it changed ASAP. My tech does not think I need a drier and thinks we should just do a compressor swap.

Questions:

1) I don't want to pay 1200 for the Jaguar labeled compressor, but I do not want a 153 dollar e-bay rebuilt either. Who makes these compressors? Are these Sandens? Can I get a genuine Ford part? I want the best quality but not the Jaguar label.

2)Is my tech right in that we should just do a evacuation and simple swap? No New dryer needed?

3)If we do simply stick to a compressor swap how much oil do we put on the new compressor?

I am looking to get this done as soon as I can. All experiences opinions greatly appreciated

motorcarman 06-28-2017 09:29 PM

If the system is NOT open for too long then a drier might not be needed.

If metal parts are contaminating the system from a failing compressor then a new FILTER/drier might keep the system alive. The system also might need to be flushed if a failing compressor is the cause.

Things to think about and be aware of.

bob

Spikepaga 06-29-2017 07:24 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have been spending lots of money getting little things done on the car, and I was hoping not to have to spend on this, but I am in Houston and the last thing I need is for the compressor to explode.

if I don't get all the parts, I be been thinking, if I don't get all dryer and orifice tube, I might as well get a used compressor and get this fixed next year

wa3ra 06-29-2017 12:56 PM

A new Nissens unit from most suppliers will be a little over $200.

I'd replace the drier, personally, but that is your call. Your mechanic will already have the inner liner off, and the system drained, so it is only a few more dollars...cheap insurance.

Spikepaga 06-30-2017 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by wa3ra (Post 1712075)
A new Nissens unit from most suppliers will be a little over $200.

I'd replace the drier, personally, but that is your call. Your mechanic will already have the inner liner off, and the system drained, so it is only a few more dollars...cheap insurance.

Thanks. So Nissens is a pretty good brand or a good rebuilder? I see them on e-bay ranging from 150's -283.00.

wa3ra 06-30-2017 11:24 AM

Yes, Nissens is actually an OEM for several auto manufacturers.

My new compressor was a Bosch, which was a few dollars more. Also did the drier and ended up doing the condensor, too. The compressors really don't flush well if you have any metal get into them, and they are an easy replacement while the system is open.

clubairth1 07-01-2017 01:31 PM

Sorry disagree!

Always change the dryer when installing a new compressor. In fact you better check because the compressors I have installed ALL require the filter/dryer to be changed at the same time or no warranty coverage.

Your 2005 has a desiccant bag and is pretty cheap to change as you open the canister and pull the old bag out and swap the new one in. So it's a good bit simpler/cheaper since there is no metal involved.

Jagboi64 07-02-2017 09:26 PM

I bought a compressor off Rock Auto, I think it was GPD brand. A made in China knockoff, but it's been working well for 3 years. I didn't change the dryer, but I did pull a hard vacuum and leave it for a while to pull the moisture out. I'd cycle the vacuum pump a few times between waiting periods and I could see the moisture coming out.

Spikepaga 07-11-2017 11:20 PM

I ended up buying a OEM compressor with dryer and orifice tube. Plan on having it installled next week. Thanks for everyone's help