Sponsored by:

Urgent A/C Compressor Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Urgent A/C Compressor Help

Hello all;

My new to me 50k mile 2005 's compressor is making a strange noise when it's on. I thought it was a pulley at first, but i took it to my trusted A/C tech and he thinks it's the compressor. It's not terribly loud, but I would like to get it changed ASAP. My tech does not think I need a drier and thinks we should just do a compressor swap.

Questions:

1) I don't want to pay 1200 for the Jaguar labeled compressor, but I do not want a 153 dollar e-bay rebuilt either. Who makes these compressors? Are these Sandens? Can I get a genuine Ford part? I want the best quality but not the Jaguar label.

2)Is my tech right in that we should just do a evacuation and simple swap? No New dryer needed?

3)If we do simply stick to a compressor swap how much oil do we put on the new compressor?

I am looking to get this done as soon as I can. All experiences opinions greatly appreciated

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

If the system is NOT open for too long then a drier might not be needed.

If metal parts are contaminating the system from a failing compressor then a new FILTER/drier might keep the system alive. The system also might need to be flushed if a failing compressor is the cause.

Things to think about and be aware of.

bob

Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply. I have been spending lots of money getting little things done on the car, and I was hoping not to have to spend on this, but I am in Houston and the last thing I need is for the compressor to explode.

if I don't get all the parts, I be been thinking, if I don't get all dryer and orifice tube, I might as well get a used compressor and get this fixed next year

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-29-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

A new Nissens unit from most suppliers will be a little over $200.

I'd replace the drier, personally, but that is your call. Your mechanic will already have the inner liner off, and the system drained, so it is only a few more dollars...cheap insurance.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wa3ra
A new Nissens unit from most suppliers will be a little over $200.

I'd replace the drier, personally, but that is your call. Your mechanic will already have the inner liner off, and the system drained, so it is only a few more dollars...cheap insurance.
Thanks. So Nissens is a pretty good brand or a good rebuilder? I see them on e-bay ranging from 150's -283.00.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes, Nissens is actually an OEM for several auto manufacturers.

My new compressor was a Bosch, which was a few dollars more. Also did the drier and ended up doing the condensor, too. The compressors really don't flush well if you have any metal get into them, and they are an easy replacement while the system is open.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Sorry disagree!

Always change the dryer when installing a new compressor. In fact you better check because the compressors I have installed ALL require the filter/dryer to be changed at the same time or no warranty coverage.

Your 2005 has a desiccant bag and is pretty cheap to change as you open the canister and pull the old bag out and swap the new one in. So it's a good bit simpler/cheaper since there is no metal involved.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I bought a compressor off Rock Auto, I think it was GPD brand. A made in China knockoff, but it's been working well for 3 years. I didn't change the dryer, but I did pull a hard vacuum and leave it for a while to pull the moisture out. I'd cycle the vacuum pump a few times between waiting periods and I could see the moisture coming out.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

I ended up buying a OEM compressor with dryer and orifice tube. Plan on having it installled next week. Thanks for everyone's help