Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   X-type fired up once after repair but now won't start at all (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/x-type-fired-up-once-after-repair-but-now-wont-start-all-220082/)

acecahuskies 07-05-2019 09:53 AM

X-type fired up once after repair but now won't start at all

The car has been standing six months waiting repair. I finally got round to changing the clutch master cylinder and during this period disconnected the battery to recharge it (not sure if that is relevant or not). On putting everything back together the engine started fine and I let it tick over for a few minutes before turning it off. Now it won't fire at all, only some of the dashboard lights come up (oil light and airbag light) and the red light in the centre console (DSC light?) stays on. The message indicator looks as if it is pulsing but no words come up. The central locking and lights don't work but the electric windows do.

Any ideas? it's a 2008 diesel estate.

Alfadude 07-05-2019 10:32 AM

First thing I would check is to make sure the battery is good. If it sat six months maybe it could take a charge enough to start the car once, but if you ony ran it for a couple minutes and shut it off that wouldn't be enough to keep it charged. The load from starting might have taken too much out of it. That would be the place to satrt trouble shooting this, especially considering it was running.

avern1 07-05-2019 11:40 AM

You should also check and clean the battery terminals. Symptoms sound like low voltsge.

acecahuskies 07-06-2019 03:56 AM

Unfortunately it's not that simple. We've tried a couple of batteries, both newish and fully charged as well as checking the terminals but no joy. It's a bit puzzling that the electric windows are working perfectly well, so power is obviously getting to them.

Dell Gailey 07-06-2019 12:46 PM

When you turn key to on (not start) does the MIL (little engine icon) remain lit or extinguish?

acecahuskies 07-06-2019 01:10 PM

Hi Dell. That light goes out although the airbag light the oil light and that red light in the centre console stay on.

Dell Gailey 07-06-2019 03:37 PM

If the MIL extinguishes, that is a Jaguar indicator that the "immobilizer" is activated.

dharry078 07-15-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by acecahuskies (Post 2094916)
Hi Dell. That light goes out although the airbag light the oil light and that red light in the centre console stay on.

When you said the RED light in the center console stays on, do you mean it stays on solid? If so, you a CAN Bus issue. Either of the module is not communicating. Get yourself a tool like SDD. Look out for an 'X'.

Disclaimer: I am advising according to what I have had experience with. All the times even now,I have a car with the same symptoms. I found out the ECU was the problem. Unfortunately, all the ECUs i have purchased from eBay have all had the same problem, am not sure I am the one with the problem, but I have successfully using SDD swapped and added an instrument cluster from the junk yard and it worked well.

I have only one option, to purchase a brand new ECU. But if you can get a place from which you can swap the ECU, it will definitely fire up. By staying solid, and not blink, it means the immobilizer(instrument) has accepted the key, if it hadn't, the light would be blinking

Dell Gailey 07-15-2019 04:17 PM

^^^ uuummmm.....no!
PATS light staying on solid is a fault. Same as M.I.L. extinguishing before starting.

dharry078 07-17-2019 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey (Post 2099342)
^^^ uuummmm.....no!
PATS light staying on solid is a fault. Same as M.I.L. extinguishing before starting.

Thanks Dell for the correction.

On mine, sorry, a customer's after replacing a new ecu kit and test driving it for a couple of days, I woke up to a non start issue. The light remained on solid. Upon running SDD, I found that SDD showed an 'X' for the ECU. When i checked VID blocks,t hey were corrupted.
What could you advise about it?