X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type fired up once after repair but now won't start at all

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type fired up once after repair but now won't start at all

The car has been standing six months waiting repair. I finally got round to changing the clutch master cylinder and during this period disconnected the battery to recharge it (not sure if that is relevant or not). On putting everything back together the engine started fine and I let it tick over for a few minutes before turning it off. Now it won't fire at all, only some of the dashboard lights come up (oil light and airbag light) and the red light in the centre console (DSC light?) stays on. The message indicator looks as if it is pulsing but no words come up. The central locking and lights don't work but the electric windows do.

Any ideas? it's a 2008 diesel estate.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

First thing I would check is to make sure the battery is good. If it sat six months maybe it could take a charge enough to start the car once, but if you ony ran it for a couple minutes and shut it off that wouldn't be enough to keep it charged. The load from starting might have taken too much out of it. That would be the place to satrt trouble shooting this, especially considering it was running.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You should also check and clean the battery terminals. Symptoms sound like low voltsge.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:56 AM

Unfortunately it's not that simple. We've tried a couple of batteries, both newish and fully charged as well as checking the terminals but no joy. It's a bit puzzling that the electric windows are working perfectly well, so power is obviously getting to them.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 760 Likes on 677 Posts

When you turn key to on (not start) does the MIL (little engine icon) remain lit or extinguish?

Old 07-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Hi Dell. That light goes out although the airbag light the oil light and that red light in the centre console stay on.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

If the MIL extinguishes, that is a Jaguar indicator that the "immobilizer" is activated.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acecahuskies
Hi Dell. That light goes out although the airbag light the oil light and that red light in the centre console stay on.
When you said the RED light in the center console stays on, do you mean it stays on solid? If so, you a CAN Bus issue. Either of the module is not communicating. Get yourself a tool like SDD. Look out for an 'X'.

Disclaimer: I am advising according to what I have had experience with. All the times even now,I have a car with the same symptoms. I found out the ECU was the problem. Unfortunately, all the ECUs i have purchased from eBay have all had the same problem, am not sure I am the one with the problem, but I have successfully using SDD swapped and added an instrument cluster from the junk yard and it worked well.

I have only one option, to purchase a brand new ECU. But if you can get a place from which you can swap the ECU, it will definitely fire up. By staying solid, and not blink, it means the immobilizer(instrument) has accepted the key, if it hadn't, the light would be blinking

Old 07-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

^^^ uuummmm.....no!
PATS light staying on solid is a fault. Same as M.I.L. extinguishing before starting.

The following users liked this post:
dharry078 (08-29-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
^^^ uuummmm.....no!
PATS light staying on solid is a fault. Same as M.I.L. extinguishing before starting.
Thanks Dell for the correction.

On mine, sorry, a customer's after replacing a new ecu kit and test driving it for a couple of days, I woke up to a non start issue. The light remained on solid. Upon running SDD, I found that SDD showed an 'X' for the ECU. When i checked VID blocks,t hey were corrupted.
What could you advise about it?