XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the v8 Jag fired up today

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got the v8 Jag fired up today

After it's been sitting here for months gathering dust/leaves/grime and the gas tanks disconnected and the passenger side out, I decided to just get off my lazy butt and get some fuel hose from the parts store, stick it in a gas can, charge the battery and turn the key.

After the battery finally got enough charge to turn the engine over, I had to spray some starting fluid in the carb and after another second or two with the key cranking it fired right back up. It's God awfully loud with 1 muffler being removed and the other one still installed. The belts squeal like a pig for a few seconds and it idles really high for a minute or two, but it calmed down once the engine warmed up a little. No smoke coming from the engine bay with the hood open, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. After it warmed up a little and the idle went down some, it wanted to die, then after a few seconds of that even with me blipping the throttle, it still died. I'm guessing it's likely to do with the fact that it was just a hose stuck in a gas can rather than a sealed gas tank. But after it died, it just fired right back up and ran for about a minute then wanted to die again. At least the engine fires over and runs and it got to circulate the fluids some.

Now maybe I can quit spending money on my twin turbo Z and put about $300 into getting the tanks boiled out and relined and some fuel hose for a proper install.

Oh yeah, I also need to get the tach to read anything. I can't remember if he said it's the speedometer that doesn't work or the tachometer after the swap. Either way I remember reading that the XJS sensor has to be used for one or the other to work. Then after I figure that out, I need to figure out how to get the gauges back into the dash properly lol

Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Add your car specs to your signature

It would make more sense if we knew what the "specs" were on the post...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

With a thread title of Got the v8 Jag fired up today, it won't be an XJ6 or an XJ12 unless it's had a transplant.

Nothing in your forum profile to tell me what vehicles you have so I can't move it to the right section for you.

Graham

Old 02-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't exactly asking any questions that needed help, was just posting that I got off my butt and did some work on it so in case anyone had been familiar with my other posts, they could get an update.

I know how to use forums and the internet, if it were a Jag v8 powered car I would have put it in the appropriate forum. By being in the XJ6/12 series 1-3 1968-1992 forum, it's likely that my 83 XJ6 v8 swap fits in this forum.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default I knew it was a SBC transplant

Just meant, that knowing what year the car was and "engine/trans specs" on the conversion, like in my Signature, gives the reader of the post more information.

I know what it is to be able to finally get around to "projects", I have
too many....

By right clicking on your name, it lead me to your prior posts and I was able to piece together most the information.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on how long it has been it sitting it may only need to be run and driven a bit to clear up.. cars can act funny after sitting a while. if not that maybe a carb adjustment or rebuild? i'm hoping it's not the gas can thing as I was planning on using that as a temporary method in my '76 with a 350 swap until I could afford a fuel cell or a new tank xD