Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Movie formats for rear USB Media (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/movie-formats-rear-usb-media-90494/)

GilesGuthrie 02-23-2013 06:39 AM

Movie formats for rear USB Media

Has anyone successfully transferred movies onto USB for playing on the rear media screens? I've had a brief play with it, and it didn't work, so I was wondering if anyone had had success, and who could give me a bit of a leg up.

I've a variety of tools on my computers for converting DVDs into other formats. All my DVDs are ripped into VOBs and stored on a NAS, from where my house TVs will play them, but the Jag won't look at these files. Naturally, the documentation I've read through doesn't offer any useful comment.

So, have any of you guys had success in putting movies on USB sticks and then playing them in the back?

ExpatJag 03-13-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by GilesGuthrie (Post 682698)
Has anyone successfully transferred movies onto USB for playing on the rear media screens? I've had a brief play with it, and it didn't work, so I was wondering if anyone had had success, and who could give me a bit of a leg up.

I've a variety of tools on my computers for converting DVDs into other formats. All my DVDs are ripped into VOBs and stored on a NAS, from where my house TVs will play them, but the Jag won't look at these files. Naturally, the documentation I've read through doesn't offer any useful comment.

So, have any of you guys had success in putting movies on USB sticks and then playing them in the back?

I just walked out to my car with a USB with a .wmv, .mp4., .mov, and a .avi file on it. The only file it would even see is the .avi. For the life of me I do not know why someone would build a system in this day an age that would only support one codec. Let's not even talk about .mkv or .m4v. But anyways the system did play the .avi fine. Also unfortunately the front passenger is unable to see what the rear passengers are playing and vice versa unless its the dvd. It would have been nice for the front passenger to be able to use the rear usb and vice versa. Just to verify I plugged it into the front usb and it only saw the .avi as well.

tommyd 03-13-2013 05:39 PM

Try encoding with Divx.

GilesGuthrie 05-04-2013 12:09 PM

Thanks guys. DIVX encoded AVI plays nicely, although in a straight-through VOB to AVI conversion, I have to set the screen to "zoom". Since the system is to be operated by the children, I need it as simple as possible. I'm going to have a play with screen sizes.

I'm also going to see if the system can cope with playing two different movies off the same USB stick at the same time. I'm not that hopeful TBH!

James Allen 05-17-2019 01:21 AM

How to convert to these formats?

Hello i have been researching this for a while and can i please get some help with how to do this as i have converted .mp4 to .avi using vlc but i get "Error 21" when converting from .avi to Divx HD. Any help would be useful as I am new to this thanks.