XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Movie formats for rear USB Media

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Movie formats for rear USB Media

Has anyone successfully transferred movies onto USB for playing on the rear media screens? I've had a brief play with it, and it didn't work, so I was wondering if anyone had had success, and who could give me a bit of a leg up.

I've a variety of tools on my computers for converting DVDs into other formats. All my DVDs are ripped into VOBs and stored on a NAS, from where my house TVs will play them, but the Jag won't look at these files. Naturally, the documentation I've read through doesn't offer any useful comment.

So, have any of you guys had success in putting movies on USB sticks and then playing them in the back?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GilesGuthrie
Has anyone successfully transferred movies onto USB for playing on the rear media screens? I've had a brief play with it, and it didn't work, so I was wondering if anyone had had success, and who could give me a bit of a leg up.

I've a variety of tools on my computers for converting DVDs into other formats. All my DVDs are ripped into VOBs and stored on a NAS, from where my house TVs will play them, but the Jag won't look at these files. Naturally, the documentation I've read through doesn't offer any useful comment.

So, have any of you guys had success in putting movies on USB sticks and then playing them in the back?
I just walked out to my car with a USB with a .wmv, .mp4., .mov, and a .avi file on it. The only file it would even see is the .avi. For the life of me I do not know why someone would build a system in this day an age that would only support one codec. Let's not even talk about .mkv or .m4v. But anyways the system did play the .avi fine. Also unfortunately the front passenger is unable to see what the rear passengers are playing and vice versa unless its the dvd. It would have been nice for the front passenger to be able to use the rear usb and vice versa. Just to verify I plugged it into the front usb and it only saw the .avi as well.

The following users liked this post:
GilesGuthrie (05-04-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Try encoding with Divx.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks guys. DIVX encoded AVI plays nicely, although in a straight-through VOB to AVI conversion, I have to set the screen to "zoom". Since the system is to be operated by the children, I need it as simple as possible. I'm going to have a play with screen sizes.

I'm also going to see if the system can cope with playing two different movies off the same USB stick at the same time. I'm not that hopeful TBH!

Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convert to these formats?

Hello i have been researching this for a while and can i please get some help with how to do this as i have converted .mp4 to .avi using vlc but i get "Error 21" when converting from .avi to Divx HD. Any help would be useful as I am new to this thanks.