Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Sticky Buttons (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/sticky-buttons-191734/)

Ceckman 11-04-2017 04:30 PM

Sticky Buttons

I have a MY’13 XJ that still has a couple months of warranty left. I am just noticing that my center dash buttons have developed the sticky residue phenomenon I have read about (which I understand many vehicles have as a common issue from a number of manufacturers of this vintage / not unique to Jaguar).

For those unfamiliar, the buttons feel like they have been used by someone with sugar / candy coated finger tips - yet the stickiness will not wipe off.

I believe it is a faulty surface coating that has deteriorated from age and / or possible heat exposure (I live in the Desert Southwest).

I wonder if anyone has pursued a warranty claim for this issue and if so - any suggestions on that pursuit?

Of course if anyone has a “solve” for this other than via Jaguar - I would be interested. Thanks.

Hank Scorpio 11-04-2017 04:45 PM

One member said they had pretty good results using Goo Gone. There was a thread about this where it was being discussed that under warranty, some owners were able to have Jaguar replace all the buttons. There is even a service bulletin regarding this specifically.

There is also this video by Tavarish (one of the better YouTube car guys) who talks about doing it on a Mercedes, though he used too strong of a solution and messed up a button.

I was thinking about trying the spray type Goo Gone on my buttons that dont have any labels, like the window switches, just to see how it works.

XJsss 11-05-2017 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are still under warranty, call or go to your dealer and tell them you have this issue there is a TSB that states if you have only one sticky button they will change out all the buttons in the XJ. My car is getting all new buttons. I have had to go in once to have the techs verify all the part numbers. They even pulled the HVAC/DVD/menu module to make sure they were ordering the right part. They will be replacing at least 15 switches/modules. I've attached a copy of the TSB (dealers have a more up to date version and almost all the part numbers have bee superseded). Make sure you complain of switches are "sticky to my touch". Good luck

TNJohn 11-05-2017 03:52 PM

I asked my SA about this issue in my 2013 XJL. His response was the campaign is over and Jaguar is no longer covering switch replacement. I am disappointed that your dealer will repair your car but my dealer won't. It seems the dealers are holding the cards. My car was purchased from this dealer and I also purchased an F-Pace for my wife from same dealer this year.

John

XJsss 11-05-2017 04:29 PM

TNJohn your SA is TOTALLY incorrect! The campaign is still valid, especially if you are under the new car warranty. If your dealer will not stand behind you tell them you are going to call Jaguar and request the repair. And, I'll tell you they had better stand behind you. In my instance I purchased my XJ new from the dealer that services it and I had gone beyond my initial warranty. I have had my xJ totally serviced and maintained by my purchasing dealer. So as my new warranty was out I called Jaguar and they checked with my dealer who backed me up that the car is totally maintained by Jaguar and this dealer. So they, Jaguar NA, are going cover 90% of the cost to change all the switches as if they paid 100% there would be no parts warranty. To say I am a happy camper and loyal owner would be an understatement. I believe, if you tell your dealer that you are going to call jaguar and tell them of your problem and that your dealer does not want to back you up, they will get some real heat from JLR North America. BTW it took almost a month for JLR to get back to me with the authorization as they contacted the dealer service manager to confirm I was a great customer.

TNJohn 11-05-2017 05:23 PM

XJsss, that's great to hear. This summer really advanced the stickification of the switchgear. To say I'm disappointed in the service department is an understatement. My car is under new warranty until December 30, so no excuse there.

What SA Stephen did offer to do is have a detailer come by dealership and take sticky residue off switchgear, but I would have to pay for it. I removed it on a few switches with Goo Gone, but it took 4 hours and doesn't look perfect.

I will call this week

John

XJsss 11-06-2017 08:31 AM

Just to make it abundantly clear to all who read this thread:

The TSB is current for all XJs under the original factory warranty and the dealer's SA should be able to call JLR to make the claim.

Any XJ with sticky switched that are beyond factory warranty and that were purchased new from a dealer and maintained by a dealer (i.e. original purchasing owner). you have a chance at coverage by calling JLR North America directly (do not ask your SA to do this as it's JLRs call) and ask if you could get some assistance on this TSB repair.

@ John, I would give the dealer one more chance with that dealer understanding that if they turn you down that your next call will be to JLR North America customer care.

Ceckman 11-06-2017 04:42 PM

Thanks all for the insights and suggestions.

I have just gotten off the phone with my Jaguar Dealer (Rancho Mirage, CA) and I have an appointment next Monday for them to assess the issue and order needed parts.

So far the indication is that “they’ll take care of it”.

We’ll see.

TNJohn 11-07-2017 08:45 AM

I called the SA this morning and said "I am curious about the sticky button issue with my car. We've talked about it before. Are you sure Jaguar won't help me with it?" He replied after a pause, "I just don't know of campaign or recall." To which I replied, "Two acquaitences of mine are having all switchgear replaced compliments of Jaguar."

Another, longer pause. Then he said, "Let me get all the part numbers together and I'll make an order. When they come in I''ll call you."

WTH?

John

XJsss 11-07-2017 08:52 AM

John, happy to hear that you are making progress. BTW it's not a campaign but a TSB. Your SA may need you to bring in the car to verify that they are ordering the correct parts. Amazing what a little arm twisting can do!

TNJohn 11-07-2017 09:12 AM

Indeed. I'll cut him a little slack since he's new to Jaguar

John

Max432 11-08-2017 09:45 AM

Any idea if this issue is also covered under the Jaguar certified warranty? Thanks!

XJsss 11-08-2017 10:59 AM

If you are referring to CPO warranty, my guess is that it would be a covered repair as CPO includes cosmetics.

TNJohn 11-10-2017 07:52 PM

Tuesday I called my SA about the Jaguar TSB for sticky buttons, yesterday the parts arrived, and today they were installed: all steering wheel buttons, all center console buttons, rear climate control panel and all window switches. He thanked me for bringing the TSB to their attention.

If it were not for the advice on this forum, my car would still have the cotton candy-residue buttons. This is a great online community. Thank you!

John

Ceckman 11-13-2017 04:00 PM

So this morning (per my above post) I presented my “case” to the Jaguar SA (including a printed copy of the Warranty notice) who proceeded to look at me as if I had two heads. Then he proceeded to quiz me on what chemicals I had used on the dash and buttons and when that failed to produce the desired acknowledgement of blame... he pivoted to blame the car wash that I used.

“The Windex like product they use at the car wash is the cause....”

Once I informed him “I was the car wash” and “no chemicals have been used on the buttons” I was shown a chair and waited....

I watched as a couple guys from the service department attempted to clean the stickiness off my buttons.... (with chemicals it appeared from the waiting area BTW).... to no avail.

So round and round we went...

I made it clear that I wanted all the buttons replaced and left them the car.

We’ll see what happens for “round #2”.

Ceckman 11-13-2017 05:42 PM

In the meantime - I’ve been loaned a 2018 F-Pace 3.5T AWD Prestige (whatever that means). Sticker price $55K (I know because the sticker is in the car). It is a sea of ugly, cheap, hard plastic that has no interior style in any way shape or form. Not a spec of wood.

Very disappointing.

Love the exterior. Engine performs fine but “buzzy”. Hate the interior.

Wonder what spec you’d need to get up to in order to have something people would think is a Jaguar from the inside?

TNJohn 11-13-2017 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ceckman (Post 1792610)
In the meantime - IÂ’ve been loaned a 2018 F-Pace 3.5T AWD Prestige (whatever that means). Sticker price $55K (I know because the sticker is in the car). It is a sea of ugly, cheap, hard plastic that has no interior style in any way shape or form. Not a spec of wood.

Very disappointing.

Love the exterior. Engine performs fine but “buzzy”. Hate the interior.

Wonder what spec youÂ’d need to get up to in order to have something people would think is a Jaguar from the inside?

We also have a 2017 F-Pace S, 3.5L supercharged V6 in addition to the XJL. The only trim level higher is First Edition, but that brought only unique paint and wheels. Ours has every option except heated windscreen and activity key. I agree about the lower trim plastic feeling out of place in a Jaguar. Overall, the car has really grown on me. The more I drive it the more I like it. If you don't like the exhaust note - it's a love or hate it thing - the 2.5 Ingenium 4 cylinder is quiet except under full throttle.

I have heard that the new Portfolio trim level has upgraded leather on the seats, but they are scarce. I think it compares favorably with the Mercedes GLE and Porsche Macan. I drove both and liked the F-Pace much better.

John

XJsss 11-14-2017 08:07 AM

My suggestion that you call the dealer and say the next call will be to JLR USA if they give you anymore excuses. IMHO

XJsss 11-16-2017 10:58 AM

A question to those that have had their sticky buttons replaced. Are the buttons still soft touch or are they harder surfaces? I'm asking as mine were replaced but some are still the soft touch surface and some are the harder surface.

TNJohn 11-16-2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss (Post 1794087)
A question to those that have had their sticky buttons replaced. Are the buttons still soft touch or are they harder surfaces? I'm asking as mine were replaced but some are still the soft touch surface and some are the harder surface.

Good question, so I checked it out. They do not have the "satin" feel like original switchgear.

John