Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   95 xj6 alarm/immobiliser problems (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/95-xj6-alarm-immobiliser-problems-215860/)

Shane_d 04-02-2019 04:47 AM

95 xj6 alarm/immobiliser problems

Hi guys, so my 95 xj6 has decided it doesn’t want to run anymore, I suspect it’s an alarm /immobiliser problem as I can hear the alarm quietly burbling away, I’m getting a spark and fuel but no fire!! Unfortunately the key fob no longer works, and the key doesn’t lock the doors manually either, on my other xj6’s this doesn’t seem to matter, as turning the key to first click in ignition turns the alarm off, but doesn’t seem to work with this car!! Any ideas!?! Uk car, cheers, Shane.

Lady Penelope 04-02-2019 07:15 AM

I'm assuming you get starter rotation which shows no Security / BPM immobilization

Shane_d 04-02-2019 07:39 AM

Yes, the car was running perfectly before, but not in regular use. Last time I went to start it it wouldn’t take, I then noticed very quiet crackling and burbling from the alarm and wondered if it had something to do with it.

Lady Penelope 04-02-2019 09:39 AM

See this thread on post # 10 and see if like :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n_dance-disco:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5b7948c8cd.jpg

Qvhk 04-02-2019 09:43 AM

Are you sure you have spark and fuel, and did the starter turn at all, and did you see the engine warning light lit up before cranking?
Was it the sound from the starter rather than from the security system? Is the battery strong enough to turn the starter?
In theory, when the immobiliser is activated, the fuel system is cut off and the starter is deactivated, and you won't see the engine light before cranking.
Also, as far as we know, only UK X300s and those in Hong Kong (both Right Hand Drive regions) are fitted with the immobiliser.
Also you wish to read this thread "alarm system hard reset" to see if this would clear your alarm flag, and if indeed it is the alarm preventing the car to start.
If all endeavours fail, and you are sure that the immobiliser is indeed the culprit (it was to my XJR "Rose" - long story here) you can contact forum member "XJREngineer" (Andy) to see if he can write you a special ECU to bypass the immobiliser upon engine start-up.

Shane_d 04-02-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Qvhk (Post 2049319)
Are you sure you have spark and fuel, and did the starter turn at all, and did you see the engine warning light lit up before cranking?
Was it the sound from the starter rather than from the security system? Is the battery strong enough to turn the starter?
In theory, when the immobiliser is activated, the fuel system is cut off and the starter is deactivated, and you won't see the engine light before cranking.
Also, as far as we know, only UK X300s and those in Hong Kong (both Right Hand Drive regions) are fitted with the immobiliser.
Also you wish to read this thread "alarm system hard reset" to see if this would clear your alarm flag, and if indeed it is the alarm preventing the car to start.
If all endeavours fail, and you are sure that the immobiliser is indeed the culprit (it was to my XJR "Rose" - long story here) you can contact forum member "XJREngineer" (Andy) to see if he can write you a special ECU to bypass the immobiliser upon engine start-up.

It is cranking, I do have a light, and the sound is definitely from the alarm, I do have fuel and a spark. I’m starting to think from what your saying that I may have two separate issues!!!

Lady Penelope 04-02-2019 10:25 AM

The sounds from the alarm system can be from low voltage

See the pic above on the instrument cluster volt meter and watch during starter rotation

It should not go below 11.4 volts during the natural starter sag

Shane_d 04-02-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope (Post 2049343)
The sounds from the alarm system can be from low voltage

See the pic above on the instrument cluster volt meter and watch during starter rotation

It should not go below 11.4 volts during the natural starter sag

I’ll check that but its a good battery I was using, the one from my other xj which always starts that car with no problems.

Lady Penelope 04-02-2019 11:08 AM

Remember to never install the battery backwards

Ask me how I know

You can read for the 11.4 volts with a hand held meter on the RH engine fuse box large terminal post

This is where the engine ECU gets its first power on fuse # 12 / 10 amp

The second power comes from the large ECU controlled relay which brings another source of power back into the ECU and also power for the fuel injectors to open in their timed sequence

If there is a large sag like to 9 volts it will be easy to see on the instrument gauge

Shane_d 04-06-2019 12:06 PM

So, got her running today!! Turns out it was the alternator starting to seize and not letting the car crank over fast enough to start (first time I’ve tried to get it running for a while!!) so loosened the alternator belt, some easy start into the throttle body and away she went. Turns out the alarm crackling was down to a bad connection!!