XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

alarm system hard reset

Old 02-17-2019, 09:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default alarm system hard reset

Hello to all, I am working on a friends 1996 VDP ( I have lots of X300's of my own as well,not to mention a 72 XJ6 with 475,000 miles ) so anyway the 96 I was doing some work in the drivers door, you know the usual, broken door check, stretched door latch cable, and installing a missing link from the key lock barrel to the lock latch. Anyway while doing this I unhooked the electrical connector to the latch and that tripped the alarm. So had to disconnect the battery, but after reconnecting the wires and hooking up the battery the alarm is still engaged. So I obviously need to reset the alarm, so the question is how do you do that. There is no key fob for the car just keys, ( which is why I had to hook up the door key barrel to latch switch ) so I have searched and searched and found references to a hard reset, but I cannot find how this is done,
Please a little help
Thanks
Darryl

Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I think that a hard reset is not just limited to any one system.
I believe that it just involves disconnecting the positive battery clamp and attaching it to the negative clamp (not the other way round) for a few minutes.
Kind of like ctrl-alt-delete for your computer.
I think it just realigns the chakras or something.
Check before you do it in case I am completely wrong!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

For US cars without the security feature in the original stereo

My recommendation is to remove both cables and bring both together in the air

This reduces the notion of which one cable to remove

Sometimes the cables touching takes some time so by placing a towel or cardboard box over the terminal posts and using your jumper cables to connects the 2 battery terminal wires together can be left overnight

I have found the longer time clears up the stubborn hangups

This reset will effect the engine ECU so on startup you may notice the engine perform better until the engine relearns the perimeters for pollution control which degrades the engine performance

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-18-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Seems like you would know this already, but anyhow:

Disconnecting the battery does not pull the car out of alarm mode, as you found out. The key fob does not clear alarm mode either. To reset it, you need to put the key into the ignition and turn it on. That's the only way to reset an alarm activation.

I don't think even the "hard reset" will clear it, but let us know what you find out.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-25-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

+1

If simply disconnecting the battery or even doing a "hard reset" disarmed the alarm system, it might as well not be fitted! The system is designed to do precisely what you found. The alarm will go off again when the battery is reconnected:

As suggested, put the key in the ignition and turn it to deactivate the alarm.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (05-25-2019), Lady Penelope (02-20-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up problem fixed

Thank you everybody for the help,
As you have noted, doing anything regarding the battery had no effect, both touching the leads together for any time period, to touching the neg lead to the pos lead while the pos lead was still attached to the battery, ( with the key on ) also had no impact.
Also I should note, that the car would not start, nor disengage the alarm ( I know it is a NA car, without immobilizer, but it would not turn over ) the only thing that worked was key in the driver door, locking and then unlocking, did the trick.

Anyway thank everyone for the help.
Got her back on the road and now she can lock her car, so she is happy

Darryl

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (02-21-2019)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost my key for my 2004 XJ8 jaguar and I went to the salvage yard and found a XJ8 04 Jaguar like the one I have I took the ECM out. The Key chamber with the key. in put in my vehicle, but now it still won't turn over or start to anybody have any information what I have to do next.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:57 AM
Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Giddens
I lost my key for my 2004 XJ8 jaguar and I went to the salvage yard and found a XJ8 04 Jaguar like the one I have I took the ECM out. The Key chamber with the key. in put in my vehicle, but now it still won't turn over or start to anybody have any information what I have to do next.
Sorry Tim, but you have posted in the wrong forum. You need to post in the X350 forum, where you stand more chance of getting an answer!

Old 02-20-2021, 01:44 PM
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Seems like you would know this already, but anyhow:

Disconnecting the battery does not pull the car out of alarm mode, as you found out. The key fob does not clear alarm mode either. To reset it, you need to put the key into the ignition and turn it on. That's the only way to reset an alarm activation.

I don't think even the "hard reset" will clear it, but let us know what you find out.
When mine occasionally does this I have to insert the key in the door, lock thrice then unlock. Also, you might have a problem with the boot hinge wiring harness. I recently had this happen where a couple of wires broke and shorted together.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barchettaboy
Thank you everybody for the help,
As you have noted, doing anything regarding the battery had no effect, both touching the leads together for any time period, to touching the neg lead to the pos lead while the pos lead was still attached to the battery, ( with the key on ) also had no impact.
Also I should note, that the car would not start, nor disengage the alarm ( I know it is a NA car, without immobilizer, but it would not turn over ) the only thing that worked was key in the driver door, locking and then unlocking, did the trick.

Anyway thank everyone for the help.
Got her back on the road and now she can lock her car, so she is happy

Darryl
How did you sort it after?