Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Basic Questions on Door Locking (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/basic-questions-door-locking-88296/)

jimlombardi 10-06-2014 03:41 PM

gemiss
Are you saying that both rear doors outer handles do not work???
The only way to turn the child safety feature off is use the outer rear door handle to open the rear door when the feature is set to on.
In other words you need to open the rear door with the outer handle to be able to access the child safety feature switch (to move its lever to the down position - off).

Jim Lombardi

gemiss 10-06-2014 08:26 PM

XJ8 Rear door lock

Jim, thanks for all your help. You've been great. Finally got it open.

gemiss

jimlombardi 10-06-2014 11:15 PM

Great result
What tool did you end up using?
Can you post an image of the tool?

Or did you end up removing the door panel???

Jim Lombardi

gemiss 10-07-2014 07:36 PM

Now that I have the rear door open and the door panel off, how do you remove the outside door handle. Something is broken or has come loose. Thanks Jim.

gemiss

jimlombardi 10-07-2014 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
gemiss

Here is a PDF file I created from JTIS shop manual for Exerior Rear Door Handle Removal & Install:

Attachment 97748

Jim Lombardi

gemiss 10-09-2014 10:36 AM

Hi Jim,
You have been a terrific help Jim. I finally got the outside handle removed. The rear bolt was hard to get to, but I finally got it out.
In regard to the "tool" I used to get the safety lock pushed down, there wasn't much left to t after I got finished. It was A flexible wooden curved basket handle about 1/8 inch thick. After I got through, it was just splinters. But it did the trick. Thanks again for all the help.

gemiss

jimlombardi 10-09-2014 12:34 PM

gemiss
Thanks for posting your successful resolution to your rear door issues.
We like it when members post how their issue was solved.

Jim Lombardi

King Charles 01-31-2020 12:42 AM

Anyone have a clue as to why my center lock/unlock button is not working, it's getting old having to reach over to let someone in. Also seems I have to press my lock button more than once on my FOB to lock my driver door which seems new to me. I recall having to press it once to lock & activate alarm. It now activates the alarm but leaves the door unlocked w/ one button press.

Ultraviolet 01-31-2020 03:23 AM

Hey Steve did you figure out the problem then?

King Charles 01-31-2020 05:26 PM

My center console lock button only locks it will not unlock the passenger door ?!

Carnival Kid 01-31-2020 06:09 PM

KC..........

1) When you use the center console button to LOCK the doors, does it lock all four doors?
2) When you use the center console button to UNLOCK, does it unlock the driver door, and the two rear doors, but just not the passenger door?
3) When you use the remote fob to LOCK the car does it lock all four doors?
4) When you use the remote fob to UNLOCK the car, does it unlock only the driver door?
5) When you press the remote fob a second time to UNLOCK the car, does it then unlock the remaining three doors?

King Charles 01-31-2020 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2185604)
KC..........

1) When you use the center console button to LOCK the doors, does it lock all four doors?
2) When you use the center console button to UNLOCK, does it unlock the driver door, and the two rear doors, but just not the passenger door?
3) When you use the remote fob to LOCK the car does it lock all four doors?
4) When you use the remote fob to UNLOCK the car, does it unlock only the driver door?
5) When you press the remote fob a second time to UNLOCK the car, does it then unlock the remaining three doors?

1 : Yes
2 : Center button only locks nothing on unlocking
3 : Now I just checked it appears to lock all doors but my driver door is still unlocked(even watching the plunger go down)
4 : One press driver door only, 2 the others
5 : Yes

Seems my driver's lock is malfunctioning as I just watched it as I pressed the FOB lock the plunger goes down alarm activates yet the door still opens.

Carnival Kid 01-31-2020 07:21 PM

Hmmmm, so it seems the center console button "works", because it locks as it should, but doesn't unlock, so doesn't sound like an electrical connection fault at the button. And then, because you have the "malfunctioning" locking-but-not locking driver door, does that point to where the whole problem is?

How about manually locking the driver door.......if you manually press the door locking stem firmly down, does that actually lock the driver door, and also does it then make the center console button work in the unlock action?

King Charles 01-31-2020 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2185612)
Hmmmm, so it seems the center console button "works", because it locks as it should, but doesn't unlock, so doesn't sound like an electrical connection fault at the button. And then, because you have the "malfunctioning" locking-but-not locking driver door, does that point to where the whole problem is?

How about manually locking the driver door.......if you manually press the door locking stem firmly down, does that actually lock the driver door, and also does it then make the center console button work in the unlock action?

Something's going on erratically, I got in the rear seat pressed driver plunger down manually which was a spongy springy resistance. Now the center button locks & unlocks all doors & the FOB actually locks the driver door. I hope this isn't the harbinger of electrical gremlins on the horizon.

Carnival Kid 01-31-2020 07:51 PM

I think that is a good thing, it proves what I was thinking it may be, a sensor in the driver door needs to be properly activated when the doors are locked, and this isn't happening because when using the electrical method the driver door plunger doesn't go down far enough, but if you press the driver door plunger down manually everything works as it should. So maybe it's just a case of cleaning/iubricating the driver door plunger so that it goes fully down?

King Charles 01-31-2020 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2185617)
I think that is a good thing, it proves what I was thinking it may be, a sensor in the driver door needs to be properly activated when the doors are locked, and this isn't happening because when using the electrical method the driver door plunger doesn't go down far enough, but if you press the driver door plunger down manually everything works as it should. So maybe it's just a case of cleaning/iubricating the driver door plunger so that it goes fully down?

I'll give it a good cleaning this weekend, for what is a Jag if have not a quirk in the midst of bliss ?! lol

King Charles 02-06-2020 01:46 AM

Haven't had time to take the door card off & clean, but the fix only lasted until the next drive. Now back w/ driver door not locking even w/ plunger going down & alarm activation, & center console button will not unlock any door.

King Charles 02-08-2020 05:20 PM

Plot thickens/ more data :

Upon using the key to lock driver's door it is very resistant to turning the key but it does lock w/ effort ?!

Carnival Kid 02-08-2020 05:51 PM

Gonna have to take that door card off and investigate further....................

May be a broken internal part, or just a case of needing oil/silicone spray, etc.

King Charles 05-14-2020 07:51 PM

Still in plausible scenario stage here.

When I start the car & all doors lock, the driver's lock makes the sound & moves a little, but doesn't lock. Is there anything that would visually stand out after I remove the door card to point to the issue ?! If not I'll just take it to my audio guy as he's now familiar w/ my car.