XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Basic Questions on Door Locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Basic Questions on Door Locking

I have tried to figure this out by testing the car and reading the owners manual but I am stumped (not a hard thing for me).

It basically has to do with unlocking the doors.

Let's say I park the car, take the key out and open the driver's side front door with the pull handle. The driver's door unlocks and I get out. With my car all the other doors stay locked.

Now let's say I want to unlock the passanger doors without the key fob in hand and without the key in the ignition. How do I do this? Right now I am crawling across the seats and lifting the lock button on the front passangers door.

The Jag does not have the lock / unlock button like just about every other car out there.

What am I missing?

Also lets say I am sitting in the car, keys out of the ignition and I want to unlock the passanger doors. How do I do that (basically the same question).

The following users liked this post:
MartyT (06-09-2017)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

I just tried it and our 2001 XJ8 unlocks all the doors when I pull on the driver side interior door handle.

When I am outside the car and all the doors are locked, the first click on the door open fob button opens only the driver's door, the second click opens the rest of the doors.

Maybe there is an issue with the locking modules system in your XJ8.

Your second scenero - you can push down the driver door locking knob (locking button) and it will lock everything (doors, including the driver's door, trunk, gas door), then pull up the driver door locking knob and it will unlock everything.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There is a lock button on the centre panel at the far left. External unlocking to let the lady in first is a fob only operation as there is no keyhole.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

This is what I meant when I used the term locking knob (locking button):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubzia4cce7...g%20button.jpg

Jim Lombardi

Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

The button on the center console works both ways. You can push it, and it will lock everything, or unlock everything. I don't know why would you have to? When you shift from park and take off, everything locks, when you stop and pull on driver's door handle, everything unlocks. If you're sitting behind the wheel, engine running, and stopped, and you want to let someone in the car, just reach to the center console, push the button (the one with the picture of the key!), and evrerything will unlock. If it doesn't, something is amiss, and you have to get it fixed.

raugaJ (01-26-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks to all for the comments.

In regards to this: "I don't know why would you have to? When you shift from park and take off, everything locks, . . "

The Owner's Manual says this is a safety concern. It allows you to push that Key Icon button on the control panel to lock all the doors and if you hold it, it closes the sunroof and the windows. I guess the driver could do this if a suspicious person was near and the shift lever had not activated all the door locks yet.

When I open my driver's door from the inside with the handle ONLY that door unlocks. I was told this afternoon by my Jag tech that the Global Locking system may be able to be programed different ways.

I have tried to pull up on the door lock button (on the door) and it does not go up. Now, this is with the door open or with the door closed and unlocked. I have NOT tried to push it down and the pull up. Specific question: Do you think with the driver's door unlocked and open pushing the door button down and then up will unlock the other doors?

"Why don't you just try it yourself, you dumb *******?" you may be asking now. Car is still in the shop. And I am just so DAMN curious!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have also found that if you have passenger(s) and one tys to open a door while you are in process of putting it in park but not there yet the passenger doors will not unlock and can't unlock by lifting the lock pull. the easiest way that I found to correct or reset the locks is to put car back in gear then return to park, hoping that your passenger(s) aren't in such a big hurry to open the door.
Isn't it amazing the little things that make our Jag's so fun?
Dave

Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Robert
I read your last post. The only way I could test it was to stand outside the vehicle and the lock all the doors with the fob (1 click on the lock button).

Then 1 click with the fob unlock button, then I opened the unlock driver's door (now the only door that is unlocked).

Then I pushed down the drivers door locking knob (locking device on the door panel near the bottom of door window) and it would not lock the driver door, but it tried to lock all the doors including the driver door.

Then locking knob on the driver door pops back up as soon as I pushed it down and it opened all the other doors at the same time it came back up on it own.

It is very weird locking/unlocking situation.

My experience is that using the locking knob on the front doors is the easiest way to unlock and lock everything and you can do it without having the ignition key out of your pocket.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-17-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: correction 2 clicks in first paragraph to1 click
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
raugaJ (01-26-2013), robertjag (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same situation as robertjag for two weeks. Before everything was working well, and when I opened the driver side door with the inner handle it unlocks all of the doors, and I could lock/unlock the doors with the centre console button too.

Now, when I open the drivers door from inside with the arm, it does not unlock the others doors. I can open all of the doors only that way, if I reach for the right front door's inner handle, and pull it a little (little: not open the door, just unlock it). Now even the lock/unlock centre button is not working too. Usually when I lock the car with the fob, the driver's door remains unlocked, and I have to unlock again with the fob's button, and lock again. More strange, that I did not hear the alarm system's sign, after pushing twice the fob's lock button, as earlier it was there. ???

I think this stranges are there since I was trying what to do with the valet button. ???

Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Robert
Then I pushed down the drivers door locking knob (locking device on the door panel near the bottom of door window) and it would not lock the driver door, but it tried to lock all the doors including the driver door.

Then locking knob on the driver door pops back up as soon as I pushed it down and it opened all the other doors at the same time it came back up on it own.

It is very weird locking/unlocking situation.

Jim Lombardi
Thanks Jim,

I think this might be what I need to do. That would work well because I usually need to unlocked other doors so I can walk around and put something in the passenger's seat or floor board. And of course to unlock the doors for the other passengers.

It is a WEIRD system. My Jag tech told me yesterday that there may be a way to change the locking pattern/options.

Every other car I have had with electric locks either has a center mounted button that clearly is for the driver or front passenger to lock or unlock the doors or (more common and even better) each front door has a button like this. I mean, these are luxury cars right?

Oh, and also something weird. It appears that the window lift buttons are not back lighted! Is this true??? Remember my car is still in the shop (with sort of good news yesterday btw).

Maybe the lack of back lighted window lift buttons is a homage to Sir Lucas and that motoring about at night thing!

deancantrell (10-06-2014)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by xjrsteve
I have the same situation as robertjag for two weeks. Before everything was working well, and when I opened the driver side door with the inner handle it unlocks all of the doors, and I could lock/unlock the doors with the centre console button too.

Now, when I open the drivers door from inside with the arm, it does not unlock the others doors. . . . . . I think this stranges are there since I was trying what to do with the valet button. ???

This could also have to do with the setting the options thing. Maybe hitting the Valet button somehow entered you into a setting mode. I just don't know. I will investigate this more and report back but it may be a few days.

Of course it could be some control module for the central locking system went bad.

What gets me with so many modern cars is that there are a lot of "secret" ways to set things that often times only the dealer or jag repair shop know.

Like the many different ways to program a key fob for instance. For my year it was posted by a reputable member to flash headlights (after a secret handshake) 5 times. Tried it a dozen times - no good. But then I read an obscure reference that said keep flashing until you hear the programming beep. At 6 flashes I got the beep. And it was repeated 4 times to confirm.

Some of this stuff is just crazy.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you! Yes I know, that some other branded cars need like open and close the drivers door 5 times..etc...when reprogramming, and others..as you mentioned it too. Anyway I hope, we won't need the Jag. spec diagnostic tool!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Now, when I open the drivers door from inside with the arm, it does not unlock the others doors. I can open all of the doors only that way, if I reach for the right front door's inner handle, and pull it a little (little: not open the door, just unlock it). Now even the lock/unlock centre button is not working too. Usually when I lock the car with the fob, the driver's door remains unlocked, and I have to unlock again with the fob's button, and lock again. More strange, that I did not hear the alarm system's sign, after pushing twice the fob's lock button, as earlier it was there. ???

I think this stranges are there since I was trying what to do with the valet button. ???
My problem still persist. Pushing the lock button on the center dash ONLY locks the car doors - NEVER unlocks them.

Opening my driver's door from the inside of the car with the handle ONLY unlocks the driver's side door.

Pushing up or down on the knob located on the door near the window does nothing.

So:

1. Has anyone heard of what I mentioned previously? That the system can be programed to lock/unlock differently?

2. Any idea what my problem is? Actuator v. module.

BTW - ALL key fob options work fine.

bongobrown (02-28-2021)
Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 Jag XJ8 and a problem. The left rear door is locked. The outside handle is loose and will not open the door. The inside door handle will not open the door either.
I suspect that the safety kiddie switch is engaged. Any ideas as to how I can get the door unlocked? Thanks for any help!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
Thanks Jim,
My Jag tech told me yesterday that there may be a way to change the locking pattern/options.
He told you that there MAY be a way to program it? Why the heck doesn't he know, or at least figure out why it isn't working for you? He's a Jag tech, right?

Old 10-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

gemiss
Yes - there is Child Safety Locks

Child safety locks are fitted to the rear doors.

To operate: Open the door and move the lever up. This immobilises the interior handle. The door can only be opened using the exterior door handle.

To cancel: Open the door and move the lever down.

Here is a JPEG showing its operation - page copied from drivers handbook:

Jim Lombardi

Attached Thumbnails Basic Questions on Door Locking-jaguar-child-safety-locks-x308.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

gemiss
Look at this youtube video on removing the rear driver side door latch that has the same issue (door will not unlock):

The video appears to cover all your issues.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-04-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks Jim,
I may have to take the inner door panel off, but my problem is to try and get to the safety lock and push the safety lock up without going through the removal stuff.
Any suggestions as to how I can get to this latch without removing the inner door panel?
Thanks again.

gemiss

Old 10-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe something like this Kitchen plastic spatula:

Norpro 99 My Favorite Spatula, Black

Black beveled edges easily slip under food
11 inch length

Does the passenger rear door operate properly - It also has the child safety locking feature - you can practice using various plastic tools (putty knife, kitchen tools, etc) on the passenger rear door child safety lock switch (if its outside handle is functioning).

The child safety lock is locked when it is pushed up and unlocked when its lever is pushed down.

Jim Lombardi

Attached Thumbnails Basic Questions on Door Locking-31q9sky4f4l.jpg  
gemiss (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Thanks Jim, I'll try the spatula. The outer door handle doesn't work, but the inside does. I've tried plastic and curved wood basket handles but no luck on catching the door latch.
I'll see if I can find the plastic spatula and try it. Thanks again.

gemiss

Quick Reply: Basic Questions on Door Locking