Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Cat Not Ready? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/cat-not-ready-184319/)

hbrown02 06-21-2017 04:23 PM

Cat Not Ready?

I have a problem that seems to be a tough one. After not driving my car for several weeks the battery discharged. I charged it and all was good until I need to have it smogged and received Cat Not Ready. All else is good.
Has anyone ever found a fix for this. After hundreds of miles and many drive cycles, I still have the problem!

Don B 06-21-2017 11:38 PM

Hi hbrown02,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post to start your own thread since your details are somewhat different from those of the Original Poster (OP) in the other thread.

I see from your introduction that you have a 2001 XJ8. It's a good idea to add this information to your signature so others don't have to ask in order to offer accurate responses. It also helps to add the engine displacement (4.0L?) and mileage on the odometer.

I'm not familiar with a "Cat Not Ready" message, but from the information you supplied it seems possible that the smog testing station found the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1000 was flagged, which means "System checks not complete since last memory clear."

Typically, this indicates that the necessary drive cycles have not been completed for all the Engine Control Module's self-tests to be performed and passed since one or more DTCs were cleared with an OBD scan tool or the battery was disconnected or discharged.

Here's some relevant info from page 3 of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes Summaries Guide, which you can download here:

Jaguar X308 AJ27 DTC Summaries Guide 2001

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b37828eb0b.png

In order to be of additional assistance, we really need to have more information. Is P1000 still flagged? Does the car have any other DTCs flagged? What is your battery voltage after the car has been sitting overnight? How low does the battery voltage sag while cranking the engine to start? Most auto parts stores will scan for DTCs and do a basic check of the battery and charging system for free.

Cheers,

Don

JagV8 06-22-2017 01:20 AM

Chances are there's a fault and it's stopping the monitor, thus the P1000.

If you're lucky there may be a pending code to hint at what's wrong but otherwise it's Catch-22: car would like to say what's wrong but unset monitor means it's not sure which data it can trust so can't flag code(s).

Endless driving is not likely to help. Sometimes there's a pending code or live data shows (look carefully!) something you can tell is not right.

hbrown02 06-22-2017 12:37 PM

Cat Not Ready

Thank you for the response!

I have a 2001 Jaguar XJ8 with a 4.0L engine. The engine has 189k miles. The only DTC flagged is P1000. The Engine Management monitor, Catalyst Efficiency Monitor is the test that does not pass, hence Cat Not Ready. I contacted the local Jaguar dealer and received this information:

HERE ARE THE REQUIRED STEPS TO PERFORMED THE DRIVE CYCLE FOR THE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. GOOD LUCK!

CATALYST EFFICIENCY MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 75 °C (167 °F).
2. With the gear selector in Park or Neutral, hold the engine speed at 2500 rpm for 5 minutes.
3. Drive vehicle ensuring that vehicle speed exceeds 15 km/h (10 mph) and the engine speed exceeds 1500
rpm.
4. Stop the vehicle and check for any temporary DTCs using WDS

I have performed this test several times and still have the same issue. All other monitors cleared within a few days of driving.

Voltage test was fine, problem only existed after several weeks of not being started.
As long as error appears, the car will not pass the State Smog Inspection.

Pasquo Wrencher 06-22-2017 07:45 PM

I feel your pain. I recently cleared my DTCs after making a few repairs that caused the codes. I have driven over 500 miles since then (highway, in town, stop and go), and the Cat Sensor will not reset. I've tried several different recommended rituals with no luck. I am wondering now if I simply have a faulty sensor, which may also be your situation.

Fortunately, the Nashville test requirements will allow you to pass with one sensor that has not reset, so mine passed yesterday. Good luck.

JagV8 06-23-2017 01:37 AM

Once you know which OBD monitor(s) don't set you can try to figure why:
1. actual codes?
2. pending codes?
3. live data - check sensors and fuel trims
4. mode 6 (e.g. can signal such as partial EGR failure)

vdpnyc 10-10-2018 08:06 AM

Ugh, I am going through this now - 230 miles and still have several modules not ready :(

What can I do to ready them? I've already followed the cruise at 55 then coast procedure.

vdpnyc 10-10-2018 08:08 AM

Ugh, I am going through this now - 230 miles and still have several modules not ready https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...lies/frown.gif

What can I do to ready them? I've already followed the cruise at 55 then coast to 20
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...573aebec19.jpg
procedure.

CorStevens 10-10-2018 10:24 AM

this problem afflicted a friend with a different car and his mechanic came up with a great idea. they took the car to one of those dyno tuning shops with a rolling road type machine and ran numerous scenarios. the techs there were very nice and knew vehicle computers in so the exact procedure for the particular car was followed. what he paid them was much less in comparison to the amount of gasoline not to mention the aggravation and time to futilely do it himself. they were also able to figure out one small issue that would not allow the system to complete all of the tests.

try searching for a shop that specializes in re-mapping computers and dyno tuning.

JagV8 10-10-2018 11:50 AM

What did you do that cleared the monitors? And why?

Then see post #6.

IMPORTANT: do NOT mulit-post on different forums!! I see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-66702/page4/

Also, what CAR do you have???

JagV8 10-10-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by vdpnyc (Post 1973584)
Ugh, I am going through this now - 230 miles and still have several modules not ready :(

What can I do to ready them? I've already followed the cruise at 55 then coast procedure.

IMPORTANT: do NOT mulit-post on different forums!! I see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-ready-184319/

Also, what CAR do you have???

Don B 10-10-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by vdpnyc (Post 1973586)
Ugh, I am going through this now - 230 miles and still have several modules not ready https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...lies/frown.gif

What can I do to ready them? I've already followed the cruise at 55 then coast to 20procedure.

Hi vdpnyc,

I have moved your posts from another thread here, so all replies will arrive in the same place and avoid confusion and duplicate effort on the part of others who want to help. As JagV8 has requested, please let us know the year, model and engine of your Jaguar so we can provide the most accurate and helpful replies.

Cheers,

Don

vdpnyc 10-11-2018 04:25 AM

Don, I did not mean to post in this thread, only on the x308 forum. Unfortunately you lost the attachment showing the modules when moving the threads, and for some reason my signature saying "2002 VDP" is not showing so others cannot see that I've got an x308 (the checkbox is set to show-sig in my forum settings.)
[update] I unchecked and rechecked the show-sig box and now the sig is showing again...

vdpnyc 10-11-2018 04:30 AM

JagV8, I've 3 modules that are not ready but got no codes actual, pending or historic besides the expected p1000. Live data sensors all show as passing and no check engine light. Any guidelines to get the modules ready? I've already followed the 55mph coast to 20 procedures.

What is Mode 6?

JagV8 10-11-2018 05:46 AM

What led up to the P1000?
Did you clear codes or what?
And why?
What problem(s)/fix(es) were there?

(P1000 did not just happen - something caused it.)

vdpnyc 10-11-2018 11:58 AM

Battery was disconnected for several months, otherwise no issues.

vdpnyc 10-11-2018 01:11 PM

Don, thank you for consolidating all the posts to this thread

​​​​​​The idea of going to a tuner shop is genius, but I don't think we have any in New York City (not sure though )

vdpnyc 10-11-2018 03:33 PM

Ugh, I just scanned the car again after 250 miles of driving and now comprehensive comp is showing unready, in addition to the other 3 from before - how is that even possible?! It reverted from ready to unready!

Don B 10-11-2018 11:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi vdpnyc,

I moved all your posts back to this thread per your request. In post #8 I can see the image showing which readiness monitors have not completed. If I understand correctly, it appears the monitors for Misfires, Fuel System, and Catalyst are all supported by your car, but have not completed. I'm as surprised as you that you don't have at least P0300 or a cylinder-specific misfire code.

Given that the Fuel System monitor has not completed, I wonder if you have a problem with low fuel pressure that could cause random misfires that aren't triggering any DTCs but are preventing the readiness monitor from completing. Another question would be, how long since your last good tune-up (plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cleaning all the important ground points, etc.)?

Beginning on pdf page 3 of the attached document are Jaguar drive cycles for resetting specific readiness monitors. I hope they help.

Cheers,

Don

vdpnyc 10-12-2018 12:47 AM

Don, thank you. That document says 2004, the last x308 was in 2003, are those procedures accurate for my car?

Tune up, that's a good joke, lol. My car is all OEM from 2002 and still drives beautifully on the original plugs, coils, injectors and filters. I've checked the airbox a few years ago and it was relatively clean, obviously the oil filter has been changed. Regardless, if there was an issue that was visible to the sensors it would throw a code, I've got no codes at all besides p1000 so it's not likely an issue of old parts.