Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   blower motor problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/blower-motor-problem-12862/)

kelley1988 03-24-2009 07:56 PM

blower motor problem

I have a 1988 XJ6, the fan for the heat and AC will not work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

JagtechOhio 03-24-2009 08:10 PM

There are two separate fan motors. When you turn the climate control dial to low/ med/ high/ def, do the LED's light up on the control panel?

kelley1988 03-24-2009 08:25 PM

Yes, all the heat and ac control led's are working.

JagtechOhio 03-24-2009 08:35 PM

There is a separate fuse in each footwell fuse box for each motor. Check those first, on rare occasions the air inlet plenum can hold water if the drain is blocked, and both blower fuses can blow if you turn the system on when they are frozen in place. Most likely you have two bad blower motors, they commonly fail.

If you are willing to spend alot of time trying to fix them, talk to Armyjag and see if the unit he repaired is holding up. If you want to purchase some good used assemblies, talk to kramxel for a referral and get in touch: I know I have good used right side motors, and I think I can come up with a left also. Two new ones will cost at least half of the value of the car.

kelley1988 03-24-2009 08:47 PM

I checked all the fuses, they are good. are there any relays to check? if so, where are they? Thanks in advance.

JagtechOhio 03-24-2009 09:16 PM

Go LF, under dash, find connector at blower motor, verify 12v at brown/blue wire.
Go RF, under dash, make sure the three harness plugs are properly fitted to the climate control ECU. It's on the side of the climate control assembly, above the transmission tunnel, mounted vertically, shaped like a little black grand piano. Three white rectangular plugs connect to the side. No relay.

ken@britishparts.com 03-25-2009 08:37 AM

Have you tried putting power directly to the blowers just to see if they will turn? Rebuilt units are available as well. As JTO said, have you checked to see if both blowers are gone?

1988xj6navy 06-07-2009 11:19 PM

I have have the same problem and I am trying to track it down. However mine gets better sometimes I get circuit failure. And when this happens I have no dash lights or parking lights. I can see the fuel and other gauges but no speedo lights or tail lights outside the car. I will turn off the car let it set for a bit and to the wonder everything but the blower motor works again for a while. I looked at the right side housing and there was mild surface rust coming out of the blower housing. I think water got in the blower shorted it out and is causing the electrical problems with the dash lights and all. The relays are inside the box for the blower there are two inside and if its rusted inside there there is prob arcing going on. Thurs causing my problems,Oh FUN FUN FUN WHAT can i say LOL. I have not checked the left yet,I will do that tomorrow and I plan to take all electric contains apart and clean. When i do this I am going to take the blower housing out and see if I can clean it up and get it going. These are nice cars why did they put these stupid connectors everywhere its the cars down fall.

tapnic 06-09-2009 09:01 PM

Blower motors filling with water

1990 xj6 What is causing this? Where should I start?

ken@britishparts.com 06-10-2009 09:00 AM

Supply direct power to each of the blower motors. Make sure they are running.

tapnic 06-11-2009 10:02 AM

Blower motors filling with water

Both motors work, AC blows fine out of the side vents very little out of the center face vents. But not after very long they seem to fill up with water. making semi aggesiive turns, left or right water dumps onto feet.

ken@britishparts.com 06-11-2009 10:44 AM

The water may lead you to a simple solution. You need access to compressed air. Put the car on a lift and you will find drain tubes around the bell housing of the transmission. Blow the air directly in those drain tubes and get out of the way! You will be amazed at the amount of water that drains once the tubes are free. I suggest a tube of some sort to collect the water so you don't soak the garage floor.

See how many of the problems that fixes and report back if you are still having problems.

tapnic 06-28-2009 05:21 PM

Does anybody know what years blower motor are interchangeable with that of a 1990. Not concerned with the housing. Just the actual Motor

1988xj6navy 07-27-2009 12:04 AM

I am going to take my apart this week I will post some pics. It is getting power and the blowers try to turn on,but the shaft is rusted from water drip. I am going to try to sand the rust off and oil it and see if they work.It is worth a shot I have to take them out anyway even if i get new ones.

JagtechOhio 07-27-2009 01:15 AM

That might work, if the commutator on the motor isn't badly worn. I never found brushes to fit these, but I suppose you could make something work. PM me if you don't have any luck, I'm pretty sure I have at least a good used RH motor to fit your car.

ken@britishparts.com 07-27-2009 05:43 PM

We do rebuilt units as well with sealed motors so the condensation isn't a future problem and new squirrel cages.

ken@britishparts.com 07-27-2009 05:44 PM

JTO is correct. We couldn't find the brushes either.

1988xj6navy 07-27-2009 08:56 PM

THanks JTO I will email if needed, I just dont have a lot of money to throw it now. And it not to hot or cold hear now so the windows down work good LOL.

1988xj6navy 07-27-2009 08:59 PM

Off subject

1 Attachment(s)
This is the most breath taking car I have ever seen I would love to have a Mark 2 LOL! :icon_omg: so want it LOL!

JagtechOhio 07-28-2009 12:07 AM

Agreed, the variety and style of all the old saloon cars is amazing. The particular example you showed is a timeless beauty. Anybody say that about an XF ??