Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   High Beam Help Please! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/high-beam-help-please-43996/)

johnwus83 07-26-2016 03:15 PM

yarpos,

Here is where I'm at as of date. All lamps tested ok, I have low beams but no highs.
All headlight fuses have been replaced with new ones. I contacted the relay manufacturer and was informed that the installed relay was no longer in production and no replacement was given. I can find many used relays ( I shedder at the thought (lol) but it might be the only escape route available to me. No, I own another XJ6, a parts car identical to this one, I'll pull the relay from that one even
though I think I might have simply misconnected or crossed the wires (what do I know?) At any rate I do thank you for your response.

john

yarpos 07-26-2016 05:25 PM

If you are happy that you get an earth at the relay when you operate the flasher/dip switch then yes its probably the relay.

Have a look at the thread below. I changed out mine recently and the thread contains numbers of compatible relays. You can ignore the unload relay part of the thread if you just want to focus on your problem rather than other changes.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-relay-162296/

Re your concerns about crossed wiring. Have a look at the s57 wiring diagram (downloadable from quicklinks at the top of the forum). Its broken down into functions and is very clear. Look at the headlight section , it will show you the relay pin numbers and the colour of the wire to each. The relay is very clearly labelled underneath so it is easy to get right. One of the unfortunate things about this set up is that if you get one particular connection wrong you are trying to draw high beam current through the relay coil and it burns out quickly. If that happens you get your symptoms, low beam only.

johnwus83 07-27-2016 10:06 AM

Wow ! Yarpos and Jose have just made it to the top of "My Favorite Brits List" Shall you report to the British Airways ticket counter and pick up your tickets to here? lol
For me you are truly candidates for :impossible Engineering. I fill the gas tank, turn the key and expect my S3 to out run a cheetah and it does... a blind cheetah. In all seriousness, I do highly appreciate your input and I thank you both. I don't understand a word you wrote. lol I shall follow your suggestions.

john

johnwus83 07-27-2016 10:11 AM

OOOOps ! no offense to the Aussie. lol

pdog2000 07-27-2016 04:14 PM

the first time i went through this before i bought i used relay on line...what i did was took apart the relay that wasn't working...cleaning all the contacts with contact cleaner and a tiny wire brush....that worked for a few years before i needed to replace...you can also smack the relay when it sticks to unstick it

yarpos 07-27-2016 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by johnwus83 (Post 1504944)
OOOOps ! no offense to the Aussie. lol

We only feign offence, we normally get on well with the Brits truth be known. The Kiwis are a bit of a worry though :-)

LnrB 07-27-2016 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by pdog2000 (Post 1505087)
..you can also smack the relay when it sticks to unstick it

Percussive maintenance?
(';')

JagCad 07-28-2016 12:01 AM

Don't convict the light relay just yet. I found the source of past light mysteries in the fuse block. I removed it from it's holder and found the soldered connectors badly corroded. A stiff brush and brake cleaner or the liker, not carb cleaner and function was restored.

Gotta cool this part of the house down. too hot to sleep!!!

Agree, percussive or percussion maintenance often works!!!

At present, I am tempted to use my 6 pound sledge to
apply some to my band saw. Thought I had it, but nope,
still throwing the new blade !!! Why am I messing with it? I don't use it often???

Worn out lower bearings, too much "run out" ?

Strip it and leave the carcass out for the special pickup on 8-1!!!
Keep the base, pulleys and motor, all else....
Carl

johnwus83 07-29-2016 09:28 AM

My thanks to all of you for your awesome input for it is through you I think I have come 95% of a journey to the solution to my "non-high beam issue" All lights except one came back upon installing a relay I pulled out of a Jag I use as parts car. I don't know if it makes any difference, but as I pulled the lamps out of the Jag with the issues for testing, the wires came out of the socket. Did I placed them back in out of order or does it really matter? Today, I shall pull that lamp, test it , and see what wires are where. If I am successful, then it was the relay all along and I shall be back on the road with my "cheetah". The XJ6 has not been disabled except in this state
if you play the wipers due to rain, you must have headlights ON!!!!

Again, thank s to all of you for your input on the subject. I now know where the GOTO place is.

John

(I disclam all typos and spelling errors) lol

JagCad 07-29-2016 09:49 AM

John:

Kudos, getting there, bit by bit, as is often the case.

1. I join your disclaimer on spelling and typo's. I can spell, but the latter not so much!

2. CA recently joined your state. If the wipers are on, so must they lights be on. They delight in passing laws with little thought as to our brains, or whether the ability to enforce is available. Our cops are far busier with things of more import at present.

3. Could it be that your old relay is fine. The mere act of disconnect/connect often fixes things electric???

4. Yeah as to the wires into the HL sockets. I was examining the parts
I have for a 5/1/4 to 7 conversion. I've three old 5/14" buckets with all the stuff, sockets included. Poorly plastic. And a couple definitely have arced !!!

5. I'd seek a replacement in better shape. I have a vague recollection that the "fix all" oddities wall at CARQUEST has replacements. And, perhaps Rock auto. I have some store credit and may use new ones on my conversion. Mission or project creep. Add better connectors while I am there. Son asks why???? I have no logical answer, other than the one given by mountain climbers. But, tis is far less hazardous...

I think I had a spare relay at one time, now???

6. The idea of multiple generic four pin relays to do the job intrigues me....

7. A past lister on another forum, used one to boost the Hella unit. Far wiser in electrickery than I.

Carl

johnwus83 07-29-2016 05:51 PM

I too have a new relay recently acquired however, it did not come with a wiring diagram and I don't do electrical diagrams lol As I said, I think most of the issue is resolved
oh, by the way, there is nothing and I mean nothing like the ride , mooooooooooooth
at 120 mph on the interstate. Like floating on clouds! I'll never do it again lol lol getting too old for such things lol lol It may be a jaguar but it runs like a cheetah
The wife slept through it all. he he he he he
john