Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New guy, quick question... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-guy-quick-question-129367/)

drsfmd 10-21-2014 12:15 PM

New guy, quick question...

Hi all-

I'm in the market for an XJ6. I'm partial to the looks of the series III cars, so that's where I'm focusing my search.

In an effort to keep things as simple as possible, I'd like to stick with carburetors and no computer. I've been looking on the web to find when they transitioned to fuel injection and computers, but I've had no luck-- anyone know offhand?

Thanks!

Jose 10-21-2014 12:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the Series 1 and 2 XJ-6, from 1968 to 1979 is carburetted; (Careful here: some 1979 XJ are said to be fuel injected).

the Series 3 XJ-6, 1980 to 1987, is fuel injected.

the Series 3 body style was continued until 1992 but only as the "V12" model, (12-cylinders only), and only for Canada.

if you have the money, I know of a low mileage, 1975 XJ-C (Coupé) in beautiful, unmolested condition, unrusted, original everything, leather in excellent condition, but it needs engine work. This is the rarest of the rare XJ models. Yes, carburetted 4.2 liter engine, has not been run in a while.

anjum 10-21-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1083915)
the Series 1 and 2 XJ-6, from 1968 to 1979 is carburetted; (Careful here: some 1979 XJ are said to be fuel injected).

the Series 3 XJ-6, 1980 to 1987, is fuel injected.

the Series 3 body style was continued until 1992 but only as the "V12" model, (12-cylinders only), and only for Canada.

if you have the money, I know of a low mileage, 1975 XJ-C (Coupé) in beautiful, unmolested condition, unrusted, original everything, leather in excellent condition, but it needs engine work. This is the rarest of the rare XJ models. Yes, carburetted 4.2 liter engine, has not been run in a while.

That should be worth buying! Engine work is easy compared to a rusty body.

Jose 10-21-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by anjum (Post 1083998)
That should be worth buying! Engine work is easy compared to a rusty body.

yes, it is the only Coupé I've ever seen in such preserved condition, even the vinyl top is original.

anjum 10-21-2014 05:41 PM

Very pretty car, definitely one of the best looking cars jaguar ever produced, but then I may be biased. Surprised you haven't snapped it up. Got to be worth doing up even if to sell on.
Mind you once you've got it, you may not want to let it go. :icon_smile::icon_smile:

Jose 10-21-2014 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by anjum (Post 1084127)
Very pretty car, definitely one of the best looking cars jaguar ever produced, but then I may be biased. Surprised you haven't snapped it up. Got to be worth doing up even if to sell on.
Mind you once you've got it, you may not want to let it go. :icon_smile::icon_smile:

that's just it, if I buy it I won't sell it, I've owned my XJ-6 since 1989, best car I ever had, then the S type since 2004. But a XJ Coupé has always been in my radar.

anjum 10-21-2014 08:30 PM

Ping......ping......ping.....ping

It's the opportunities we missed that we regret in the end...

You know you want to....

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on (see Father Ted)

It'll make me really jealous!! If it was over here at a good price......

Have I persuaded you yet?

drsfmd 10-22-2014 07:29 AM

Thank you gents! Jose, that appears to be in incredible condition, but I really have my heart set on a series III.

I plunged into this with an assumption that a carbed, no computer car would be preferable, but am I perhaps incorrect in that assumption? Are these not problem areas for series III cars?

o1xjr 10-22-2014 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by drsfmd (Post 1084518)
I plunged into this with an assumption that a carbed, no computer car would be preferable, but am I perhaps incorrect in that assumption? Are these not problem areas for series III cars?

Don't assume anything, dig around and ask a lot more questions. You will be rewarded with lots of great answers.
:icon_couch:

Doug 10-22-2014 08:19 AM

Not a problem in particular, no.

IMHO it more a matter of what you're most comfortable with. I think it's the old car'd cars that need more attention, to be host. The F.I. system on the Ser IIIs is a basic type. Not very complicated, easy to diagnose and repair in most cases, and reliable as far as 30-40 year old used cars go :)

Ser IIs for the USA used the same system beginning in 1978, by the way.

Cheers
DD

Jose 10-22-2014 05:24 PM

Thank you gents! Jose, that appears to be in incredible condition, but I really have my heart set on a series III.

there are no Series 3 XJ with carbs, not in North America, maybe in Australia and Europe but with the small engine.

I have a 1984 XJ-6 with untouched, unmodified, unmolested, original fuel injection and it has never given me any trouble. Nada, zero. Oh yes, one time I had to replace a fuel hose, all $ .69 cents worth of it. The hose was leaking.

I'm not experienced on repairing this F.I. system simply because I've never had to mess with it in my car, it has been totally reliable. Doug is the expert on these systems.

Jose 10-22-2014 05:31 PM

Here's what to do with a carburetted XJ: send the complete carb assembly to Joe Curto in NJ and let him fine tune it and detail it. $500.00 for the job.

JOE CURTO, INC.

Fraser Mitchell 10-25-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by drsfmd (Post 1083887)
Hi all-

I'm in the market for an XJ6. I'm partial to the looks of the series III cars, so that's where I'm focusing my search.

In an effort to keep things as simple as possible, I'd like to stick with carburetors and no computer. I've been looking on the web to find when they transitioned to fuel injection and computers, but I've had no luck-- anyone know offhand?

Thanks!

Several posts here with advice and all of it good.
FWIW I had a Series 3 for 14 years and it was probably the worst built car I ever had. However, it was made in 1980 when the UK car industry was in complete chaos. Later cars benefited from a comprehensive improvement scheme under new management, so if you want one, try for a car from 1982 onwards. Final production of the Series 3 with six cylinder engines was in 1986. The V12 version carried on until 1992, but are very rare. With a car like this, condition is everything, so you need something like an elderly owner in a southern state like Florida, where no salt gets onto the roads. Here in England most of the cars have gone to become baked bean tins, I'm afraid !!

Mad Matt 10-26-2014 03:55 AM

The biggest issue i have noticed for series three is to check the condition of the wiring harness for the injectors. Close and personal to a hot engine does take its toll so check that. Sensors that fail can drive you nuts but as i have found out the forum is great resource and as help me understand better, it not as hard as i thought. If all that is good and it runs without a ticking noise then the later model series III are great cars.
Best of luck in your search