Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Series One dashboard - loose (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-one-dashboard-loose-136171/)

ChampInSD 02-04-2015 10:02 PM

Series One dashboard - loose

Hi all:

The center dash panel on my '71 is loose. This is the panel with all the center gauges and rocker switches. The panel rides on two pins at the top and they are not really securing it in place. How is this panel properly secured/tightened?

Thanks.

Dave

o1xjr 02-05-2015 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just do up the black screws at the top corners, I have put small rubber gromets on the screws . I have no hinges at the bottom as a PO removed them for some reason.
No rattles, just done up finger tight.

Attachment 105733

Roger Mabry 02-05-2015 11:34 AM

It is supposed to hinge down on the bottom pins

2 Attachment(s)
Without the bottom pins installed, you can remove the two screws and pull the door outward and tilt it down.

With the additional stuff in the center parcel tray... it would not hinge downward without removing the "stuff".

I chose not to remove the bottom pins but to take out the dual AC vents if the fuse panel needed to be lowered. Same choice was made
on both S1 cars... did not want the associated rattles...

If you are missing the ability to hinge yours downward, let me know - I have spare parts.

o1xjr 02-05-2015 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry (Post 1155131)
Without the bottom pins installed, you can remove the two screws and pull the door outward and tilt it down.

With the additional stuff in the center parcel tray... it would not hinge downward without removing the "stuff".

I chose not to remove the bottom pins but to take out the dual AC vents if the fuse panel needed to be lowered. Same choice was made
on both S1 cars... did not want the associated rattles...

If you are missing the ability to hinge yours downward, let me know - I have spare parts.

Roger, I have a spare panel with all gauges and switches in it and the hinge parts. It will be replaced eventually, I'm thinking the hinges were removed because of the aircon unit I have below it. It is where some cars have the parcel tray.

Roger Mabry 02-05-2015 02:47 PM

Air con unit prevents fuse door from tilting

Yes, you have the same "condition"... a small price to pay for added air flow.

o1xjr 02-05-2015 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry (Post 1155262)
a small price to pay for added air flow.

When I get around to getting it working, it has been on the list for a year now but other issues keep popping up that need attention first.

ChampInSD 02-06-2015 09:41 PM

So, the panel is actually intended to flip forward?

o1xjr 02-07-2015 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChampInSD (Post 1156184)
So, the panel is actually intended to flip forward?

Yes, you have two panels of fuses behind there.

ChampInSD 02-07-2015 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I see. Well, I looked at it more carefully today. The problem is here:

ChampInSD 02-07-2015 07:28 PM

There must have been some sort of plastic disc/grommet on these, which have broken away. Does this pin separate? I tried to unscrew its but no joy. Either way too tight or not two parts I guess.

o1xjr 02-08-2015 12:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you have a look at my picture in #2 of this thread you will see the two plastic knobs pointed to with red arrows. Those plastic knobs are molded onto the knurled part of the screws in your picture

Update, here is what they should look like. Try David at everyday XJ, he should be able to sort out a pair for you.(he is a member of the forums.)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...yday-xj-91303/

Attachment 105941Attachment 105942

ChampInSD 02-08-2015 01:23 AM

Thanks. That would make a lot of difference.

Roger Mabry 02-08-2015 03:15 PM

Bottom pivot point(s)

1 Attachment(s)
This is what the LH pivot point looks like...on the inside.
Knob above the ignition switch is the Hella intermittent wiper switch.

o1xjr 02-09-2015 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry (Post 1157214)
This is what the LH pivot point looks like...on the inside.
Knob above the ignition switch is the Hella intermittent wiper switch.

Roger, it looks like the key is on the wrong side. My 47' chev that was factory RHD still had the key and most of the controls on the left side of the dash. At least Jaguar put things on whichever side the driver is on.

Going by your pic I have all I need between my two switch panels to make everything work properly.