Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   V12 constant ticking, normal or bad? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/v12-constant-ticking-normal-bad-166567/)

Dixter 07-26-2016 11:37 PM

V12 constant ticking, normal or bad?

Hey there Picked up a "1986 jaguar XJ12 Vanden Plas",its my first jag and im just growing to love it more and more got some things to fix up but i love the v12 its been running decent but theres a constant ticking noise under the hood, i cant hear it when the hood/bonnet is closed, when its open its pretty noticable and and speeds up with the RPM, but once the motor revs high enough it drowns out the noise
Here is a link to a video of the engine idleing

I was maybe thinking a dropped valve or tension for the timing belt but not to familiar with any of that so If you have an idea what it might be pls post suggestions , and if it is just the motor running regulary dont critisize , ive never owned a vehicle with a v12 before

Please help inform me on this engine

Dixter 07-26-2016 11:47 PM

Im thibking its running smoothly but just to be sure i want to know that sorta ticking sound is normal

Grant Francis 07-27-2016 03:52 AM

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

That sounds like very noisy injectors.

It does not sound loud enough for tappets, and is definately NOT a valve seat issue.

NO timing belt on the V12, a very long chain and a boomerang style tensioner. Usually good for 500K miles.

I would get some serious Injector Cleaner, your market will have its favourites, and pour it into a tank with minimal fuel.

I usually pour the whole bottle into 20ltrs of fuel, and then DRIVE it, get some miles on it. That Cleaner will take a while to clean them up, but it will work. Repeat regularly.

I also detect a slight hesitation as you rev it, and that will be consistant with injector issues.

JagCad 07-27-2016 09:25 AM

I like Chevron's Techron. I'm sure others are as good or perhaps better!!!

At SMOG inspection time for my Jaguar. I run one tank down low.
Add only about 5 gallons of 93 . Add the large size bottle of parts store sourced TECHRON injection cleaner. Result, a concentrated dose of cleaner. Drive heartily for a week.
Then get it good and warm and immediately to the test station.

Carl

Dixter 07-27-2016 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 1504778)
Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

That sounds like very noisy injectors.

It does not sound loud enough for tappets, and is definately NOT a valve seat issue.

NO timing belt on the V12, a very long chain and a boomerang style tensioner. Usually good for 500K miles.

I would get some serious Injector Cleaner, your market will have its favourites, and pour it into a tank with minimal fuel.

I usually pour the whole bottle into 20ltrs of fuel, and then DRIVE it, get some miles on it. That Cleaner will take a while to clean them up, but it will work. Repeat regularly.

I also detect a slight hesitation as you rev it, and that will be consistant with injector issues.

Thanks for the reply and i will try that out and hopefully thats the issue im having
Thanks

,cole