Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   1992 xjs v12 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/1992-xjs-v12-112695/)

vh-atr60 02-27-2014 08:51 PM

1992 xjs v12

I was driving home last night and for no reason the speedo and fuel gauge simply stopped working. Fuel read empty and speedo read 0
Any ideas

Doug 02-27-2014 10:07 PM

I'm guessing loose/dirty/corroded contacts on the instrument cluster printed circuit....fairly common for the gauges to go flakey as a result.

Not that big of a job to pull the cluster and clean the contact points....and add a redundant ground/earth on general principles.

Cheers
DD

o1xjr 02-28-2014 05:41 AM

Similar gauge trouble

8 Attachment(s)
I had a similar problem with my XJ6 a couple of months ago. Fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge were going up and down more like a tachometer and dash light switch was working like a Lucas switch does,intermitent. So I removed the gauge and switch cluster disconnected all wiring(take pics or make sure you have the correct wiring diagram for your model).There is 45-50 wires in there.
Cleaned all contacts and replaced some as I went where plastic shrouds were perished, removed the printed circuit and gauges. Gave everything a light blow out and removed switches and cleaned them,reassembled the whole lot. Took about 4-5 hours in total.
Nothing has missed a beat since,except clock looses 2 minutes daily.As you can see by clock I just went down the garage to take pics of my dash and my spare so you can see printed circuit,I assume yours will be much the same.

I have added pics of printed circuit,this is fragile so take care.

Good luck
:icon_toast:

Steve M 02-28-2014 06:50 AM

I have a similar problem with mine and it is a loose fuse or holder; if I prod it the instruments come back on (it's in the underdash fuse box below the steering wheel (right hand drive).

cat_as_trophy 02-28-2014 04:18 PM

Hi vh-atr and greetings from the Coffs Coast in NSW;

Welcome to the forums. We are a happy, friendly lot here ... first names tend to be appreciated as anywhere in Oz, but not mandatory. Please trot over to the "New Member Intro" thread, tell us a bit about yourself and your car, and you will get some great tips on how to use the excellent knowledge and downloadable resources on tap here, as well as get a rousing hello from all and sundry.

Like you now find with your reported problem, technical queries are best directed through the model-specific section, but all of us Aussies, Kiwis, and not a few international "wannabe convicts" hang out here pretty regularly on the regional Aus/NZ forum to chew the fat, discuss Jaguars, engage in the occasional banter ... and generally enjoy each others' experiences and friendly advice.

I hope you enjoy. :icon_toast:
Best wishes,
Ken