Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   AC Delete (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/ac-delete-170732/)

jagpaw 10-11-2016 07:50 PM

AC Delete

Hi guys, going through a lot of work on my '90 XJS conv. So I've pretty much decided to delete the AC. Mainly because it doesn't work, hasn't worked in years and I live in western Pa mostly only take the car out in nice weather. I understand the defrost won't work as well and am willing to accept that. The bigger question is the fuel cooler. Can I add a aftermarket fuel cooler on the supply side to correct deleting the factory one? If my AC hasn't worked for some time and I never had a vapor lock issue should I even worry?

baxtor 10-11-2016 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jagpaw (Post 1550124)
Hi guys, going through a lot of work on my '90 XJS conv. So I've pretty much decided to delete the AC. Mainly because it doesn't work, hasn't worked in years and I live in western Pa mostly only take the car out in nice weather. I understand the defrost won't work as well and am willing to accept that. The bigger question is the fuel cooler. Can I add a aftermarket fuel cooler on the supply side to correct deleting the factory one? If my AC hasn't worked for some time and I never had a vapor lock issue should I even worry?

Personally l would not worry about the fuel cooler aspect. At worst there may be the odd occasion where you may need to cycle the pump for a hot start situation.

JTsmks 10-11-2016 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jagpaw (Post 1550124)

IIRC the fuel cooler is not on the supply side but is on the return side. It cools the fuel that is returning to the tank.

Greg in France 10-12-2016 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by JTsmks (Post 1550141)
IIRC the fuel cooler is not on the supply side but is on the return side. It cools the fuel that is returning to the tank.

True.
Jagpaw:
And if the A/c has not worked, there has been no fuel cooling, so do not worry about it. Either remove and replumb the fuel that is currently routed through the (not cooling) cooler, or leave the cooler in place but (obviously) with no a/c hoses to it and leave the fuel routing as it is. Apart from cleaning up the engine bay, it makes no difference.
Later V12 engine were not fitted with a fuel cooler even by the factory.
Greg

warrjon 10-12-2016 03:01 AM

IMHO, the fuel return pipe runs under the car in an area that will keep the pipe cool. I would delete the fuel cooler anyway.

jagpaw 10-12-2016 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by JTsmks (Post 1550141)

Yes I understand that. My question is would it be better to add an aftermarket to the supply side. Seems to be a popular upgrade to performance cars in general.

Greg in France 10-12-2016 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jagpaw (Post 1550290)
Yes I understand that. My question is would it be better to add an aftermarket to the supply side. Seems to be a popular upgrade to performance cars in general.

An aftermarket what, Jagpaw?
Greg

jagpaw 10-12-2016 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France (Post 1550291)
An aftermarket what, Jagpaw?
Greg

I'm sorry, an aftermarket fuel cooler on the supply side

Greg in France 10-12-2016 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jagpaw (Post 1550296)
I'm sorry, an aftermarket fuel cooler on the supply side

What will do the cooling if there is no A/C? Regardless, you do not need it, that is for sure.
Greg