Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Do the British have small feet? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/do-british-have-small-feet-114949/)

downsouth 04-01-2014 10:00 PM

Do the British have small feet?

Is it just me....or what's up with the crowded gas and brake pedals with Jaguars? I love my '69 XKE and my (newly acquired) '95 XJS, but there's barely enough space to press the gas without my foot scraping the side of the brake pedal. My shoe size is a modest 9 1/2, but I feel like I need ballerina slippers to drive these cars. I swear, sometimes I yank my shoe off and drive in socks just so I don't need to think about my foot location relative to the two pedals.

Today I drove the XJS while wearing a suit and tie and -- heaven forbid -- dress shoes. Jeez...it was like trying to dial a phone with my feet.

Anyone else notice this?

calvindoesntknow 04-01-2014 11:29 PM

I know what you are feeling. I am a size 10 and I have the same problem. I think it's also due to the design of the throttle pedal. I fixed this when I switched to smaller pedal pads when I went manual.

malc4d 04-02-2014 02:55 AM

Talking manual....... l take it you got all the problems sorted and it now is fitted and working.

Vee 04-02-2014 09:50 AM

Is there a way to slide the brake pedal over some more? Try driving with any kind of boot on...

Greg in France 04-02-2014 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vee (Post 945884)
Is there a way to slide the brake pedal over some more? Try driving with any kind of boot on...

Cut an inch off each side of the brake pedal on the auto box pedal box. Then put a footrest in the bigger LHS gap! Result perfection!

Greg (size 10).

sidescrollin 04-02-2014 10:36 AM

what? My size 11 Redwings are perfectly comfortable in the XJS. Most european cars have more room because the brake pedal isn't a 4 foot wide rectangle like in American cars.

American cars seem to have too much space and many Japanese cars are too close. I generally find european cars to be the most ergonomic in pretty much every way compared to the others.

Steve M 04-02-2014 10:48 AM

The closer that the pedals are the better it is for heel and toeing.

Brake buster 04-02-2014 11:19 AM

its probably the design

as in a british car the accelerator pedal is on the right ( same as the US ) but the right on the right is next to the outside of the car where there seems to be a little more room, the right on the US car is next to the trans tunnel, and i would think there is a slight compromise with this setup ?? and a loss of space

the UK cars also have the huge brake pedal fitted

BB

sidescrollin 04-02-2014 11:34 AM

I actually looked and the edge of my boot is very close to the brake, never realized it. I think it depends on how some people drive. My sister in law uses her big toe.
I tend to rest my foot against the trans tunnel which translates to as much room as possible I guess.

I have more issue with brake pedal height. A lot of cars have a pedal that is too high, you cant simply slide your foot over, you have to pick it up. for me it results in accidently getting my foot underneath the pedal....

downsouth 04-02-2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brake buster (Post 945949)
its probably the design

as in a british car the accelerator pedal is on the right ( same as the US ) but the right on the right is next to the outside of the car where there seems to be a little more room, the right on the US car is next to the trans tunnel, and i would think there is a slight compromise with this setup ?? and a loss of space

BB

You know, I think you're on to something there. And it's true, the gas pedal is jammed right up against the trans tunnel.

downsouth 04-02-2014 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France (Post 945899)
Cut an inch off each side of the brake pedal on the auto box pedal box. Then put a footrest in the bigger LHS gap! Result perfection!

Greg (size 10).

I've actually given some thought to cutting the brake pedal.

The whole problem is a combination of several things:

1) the crowding of the brake and gas pedal.
2) the width of the brake pedal.
3) and yes, the height difference between the two pedals. The brake is high up whereas the gas is down low towards the floorboard, forcing you to thrust your toe forward at an uncomfortable angle.

It's a strange feature in otherwise brilliantly designed cars.

Tyran66 04-02-2014 02:47 PM

They have been worn away over the years from kicking the Germans in the arse :)

Five Speed 04-02-2014 03:46 PM

Technically you are sitting with your feet in the passenger foot well because of the RHD to LHD conversion. When I owned a Jeep Patriot , Americans complained that the gas pedal was stuck rightup close to the trans, tunnel there was no room for a foot rest because of the wheel arch. Strange in the RHD conversion & UK speccar had loads of pedal room & we had a nice food rest built in next to the trans tunnel .Well you cant please everyone ...

Steve M 04-02-2014 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tyran66 (Post 946070)
They have been worn away over the years from kicking the Germans in the arse :)

Exactly! It's a Jag, what the hell do you need a brake pedal for?
DeLoreans managed to change time zones without touching the brake pedal.
A mere frippery, a fad that can not possibly last the test of time.

Steve M 04-02-2014 04:41 PM

Ever driven an Alfa? You have to be a particularly agile baboon to figure out the tiny pedals that are offset towards the middle of the engine and once you have adjusted the seat to reach the pedals the steering wheel is up your nose.

plums 04-02-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 946137)
Ever driven an Alfa? You have to be a particularly agile baboon to figure out the tiny pedals that are offset towards the middle of the engine and once you have adjusted the seat to reach the pedals the steering wheel is up your nose.

Jag gives me more problems by far than the Alfa ever did ... and the Alfa was a manual.

Steve M 04-02-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by plums (Post 946141)
Jag gives me more problems by far than the Alfa ever did ... and the Alfa was a manual.

So was mine (sorry, meant ours).
I still like my driving feet to be pointed somewhat vaguely in the direction of travel.

sidescrollin 04-03-2014 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 946065)
I've actually given some thought to cutting the brake pedal.

The whole problem is a combination of several things:

1) the crowding of the brake and gas pedal.
2) the width of the brake pedal.
3) and yes, the height difference between the two pedals. The brake is high up whereas the gas is down low towards the floorboard, forcing you to thrust your toe forward at an uncomfortable angle.

It's a strange feature in otherwise brilliantly designed cars.

what in the world are all you people going on about?
I can drive my car perectly fine wearing boots. When I take my foot off the gas is slides right over onto the brakes.

I am not seeing the issues anyone is seeing here and have never had any thought about where my feet are during driving, it works just fine.

I mean half of you guys are talking about cutting the brake pedal??Do you drive with your pinky toes?

Doug 04-03-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 945576)
Is it just me....or what's up with the crowded gas and brake pedals with Jaguars? I love my '69 XKE and my (newly acquired) '95 XJS, but there's barely enough space to press the gas without my foot scraping the side of the brake pedal. My shoe size is a modest 9 1/2, but I feel like I need ballerina slippers to drive these cars. I swear, sometimes I yank my shoe off and drive in socks just so I don't need to think about my foot location relative to the two pedals.

Today I drove the XJS while wearing a suit and tie and -- heaven forbid -- dress shoes. Jeez...it was like trying to dial a phone with my feet.

Anyone else notice this?

Hmmmm.

I wear a size 9 and my tennis shoes always get tangled up in the pedals when I drive an E-type (and some other LBCs). I have to take my shoes off or wear loafers....which are not as big-n-clunky as my tennis shoes.

But I never had that problem at all driving my XJS.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

AllanG 04-03-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 945576)

Anyone else notice this?

It might just be you :icon_evil: :D

I wear size 11 EEE shoes. I never have a problem with my XJS and I have three pedals down there!! :)