XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Do the British have small feet?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do the British have small feet?

Is it just me....or what's up with the crowded gas and brake pedals with Jaguars? I love my '69 XKE and my (newly acquired) '95 XJS, but there's barely enough space to press the gas without my foot scraping the side of the brake pedal. My shoe size is a modest 9 1/2, but I feel like I need ballerina slippers to drive these cars. I swear, sometimes I yank my shoe off and drive in socks just so I don't need to think about my foot location relative to the two pedals.

Today I drove the XJS while wearing a suit and tie and -- heaven forbid -- dress shoes. Jeez...it was like trying to dial a phone with my feet.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I know what you are feeling. I am a size 10 and I have the same problem. I think it's also due to the design of the throttle pedal. I fixed this when I switched to smaller pedal pads when I went manual.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Talking manual....... l take it you got all the problems sorted and it now is fitted and working.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Is there a way to slide the brake pedal over some more? Try driving with any kind of boot on...

Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
Is there a way to slide the brake pedal over some more? Try driving with any kind of boot on...
Cut an inch off each side of the brake pedal on the auto box pedal box. Then put a footrest in the bigger LHS gap! Result perfection!

Greg (size 10).

The following users liked this post:
plums (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

what? My size 11 Redwings are perfectly comfortable in the XJS. Most european cars have more room because the brake pedal isn't a 4 foot wide rectangle like in American cars.

American cars seem to have too much space and many Japanese cars are too close. I generally find european cars to be the most ergonomic in pretty much every way compared to the others.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The closer that the pedals are the better it is for heel and toeing.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

its probably the design

as in a british car the accelerator pedal is on the right ( same as the US ) but the right on the right is next to the outside of the car where there seems to be a little more room, the right on the US car is next to the trans tunnel, and i would think there is a slight compromise with this setup ?? and a loss of space

the UK cars also have the huge brake pedal fitted

BB

Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I actually looked and the edge of my boot is very close to the brake, never realized it. I think it depends on how some people drive. My sister in law uses her big toe.
I tend to rest my foot against the trans tunnel which translates to as much room as possible I guess.

I have more issue with brake pedal height. A lot of cars have a pedal that is too high, you cant simply slide your foot over, you have to pick it up. for me it results in accidently getting my foot underneath the pedal....

Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brake buster
its probably the design

as in a british car the accelerator pedal is on the right ( same as the US ) but the right on the right is next to the outside of the car where there seems to be a little more room, the right on the US car is next to the trans tunnel, and i would think there is a slight compromise with this setup ?? and a loss of space

BB

You know, I think you're on to something there. And it's true, the gas pedal is jammed right up against the trans tunnel.

Last edited by downsouth; 04-02-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Cut an inch off each side of the brake pedal on the auto box pedal box. Then put a footrest in the bigger LHS gap! Result perfection!

Greg (size 10).

I've actually given some thought to cutting the brake pedal.

The whole problem is a combination of several things:

1) the crowding of the brake and gas pedal.
2) the width of the brake pedal.
3) and yes, the height difference between the two pedals. The brake is high up whereas the gas is down low towards the floorboard, forcing you to thrust your toe forward at an uncomfortable angle.

It's a strange feature in otherwise brilliantly designed cars.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

They have been worn away over the years from kicking the Germans in the ****

Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Technically you are sitting with your feet in the passenger foot well because of the RHD to LHD conversion. When I owned a Jeep Patriot , Americans complained that the gas pedal was stuck rightup close to the trans, tunnel there was no room for a foot rest because of the wheel arch. Strange in the RHD conversion & UK speccar had loads of pedal room & we had a nice food rest built in next to the trans tunnel .Well you cant please everyone ...

Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tyran66
They have been worn away over the years from kicking the Germans in the ****
Exactly! It's a Jag, what the hell do you need a brake pedal for?
DeLoreans managed to change time zones without touching the brake pedal.
A mere frippery, a fad that can not possibly last the test of time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
Five Speed (04-03-2014), Tyran66 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ever driven an Alfa? You have to be a particularly agile baboon to figure out the tiny pedals that are offset towards the middle of the engine and once you have adjusted the seat to reach the pedals the steering wheel is up your nose.

The following users liked this post:
Five Speed (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
Ever driven an Alfa? You have to be a particularly agile baboon to figure out the tiny pedals that are offset towards the middle of the engine and once you have adjusted the seat to reach the pedals the steering wheel is up your nose.
Jag gives me more problems by far than the Alfa ever did ... and the Alfa was a manual.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Jag gives me more problems by far than the Alfa ever did ... and the Alfa was a manual.
So was mine (sorry, meant ours).
I still like my driving feet to be pointed somewhat vaguely in the direction of travel.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by downsouth
I've actually given some thought to cutting the brake pedal.

The whole problem is a combination of several things:

1) the crowding of the brake and gas pedal.
2) the width of the brake pedal.
3) and yes, the height difference between the two pedals. The brake is high up whereas the gas is down low towards the floorboard, forcing you to thrust your toe forward at an uncomfortable angle.

It's a strange feature in otherwise brilliantly designed cars.

what in the world are all you people going on about?
I can drive my car perectly fine wearing boots. When I take my foot off the gas is slides right over onto the brakes.

I am not seeing the issues anyone is seeing here and have never had any thought about where my feet are during driving, it works just fine.

I mean half of you guys are talking about cutting the brake pedal??Do you drive with your pinky toes?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Is it just me....or what's up with the crowded gas and brake pedals with Jaguars? I love my '69 XKE and my (newly acquired) '95 XJS, but there's barely enough space to press the gas without my foot scraping the side of the brake pedal. My shoe size is a modest 9 1/2, but I feel like I need ballerina slippers to drive these cars. I swear, sometimes I yank my shoe off and drive in socks just so I don't need to think about my foot location relative to the two pedals.

Today I drove the XJS while wearing a suit and tie and -- heaven forbid -- dress shoes. Jeez...it was like trying to dial a phone with my feet.

Anyone else notice this?

Hmmmm.

I wear a size 9 and my tennis shoes always get tangled up in the pedals when I drive an E-type (and some other LBCs). I have to take my shoes off or wear loafers....which are not as big-n-clunky as my tennis shoes.

But I never had that problem at all driving my XJS.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Anyone else notice this?
It might just be you

I wear size 11 EEE shoes. I never have a problem with my XJS and I have three pedals down there!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do the British have small feet?