Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Spring Compressors (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/spring-compressors-212605/)

RonaldP 01-08-2019 02:11 PM

Spring Compressors

Has anyone replaced the front coil springs using a pair of standard spring compressors?

brinny 01-08-2019 02:26 PM

No. Don’t think you can. I’ve done it twice with a length of threaded rod through the middle and smaller threaded rods to compress it. I’m sure more experienced members will be able to explain it better or try a search.

RonaldP 01-08-2019 02:38 PM

I have read about al the different tools people have used and the all thread rods and with the home made Jag tool replicas.

brinny 01-08-2019 03:16 PM

Well then you have the answers.

Coventry Foundation 01-09-2019 07:02 AM

Ron the factory tools are available for free loan to members of JCNA or Patrons of the Coventry Foundation. Personally the threaded rods are dangerous and many have been hurt. If you wish to see more please go to www.jcna.com and review the tool loan section.

Doug 01-09-2019 07:30 AM

I've removed springs on these cars numerous times. FWIW, I much prefer the four-threaded-rods method. I'm sure there are write-ups in the archives. If not, post back.

Cheers
DD

Coventry Foundation 01-09-2019 10:49 AM

Doug have you ever used the correct tool/tools. With the long run of this model there are of course two very different tools. Using them is very quick and efficient plus the work area is free from all the rods. While you are a professional and understand the danger and seek to avoid it there are many who do not and there are many grades of threaded rod--some very weak!

Daim 01-09-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 2011230)
I've removed springs on these cars numerous times. FWIW, I much prefer the four-threaded-rods method. I'm sure there are write-ups in the archives. If not, post back.

Cheers
DD

Same here. If done properly, the threaded rod method is easier, quicker and actually safer as instead of using one veeeeery hard to turn handle, it is easier to use 4 nuts or as I did: 8. Each rod had a spare nut just in case one failed...

Coventry Foundation 01-09-2019 02:11 PM

Daim not sure what you were using--the real tool has a bearing on the operating handle and the handle is forged and pretty large. It takes about 1 min. to compress the spring!

Daim 01-09-2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2011359)
Daim not sure what you were using--the real tool has a bearing on the operating handle and the handle is forged and pretty large. It takes about 1 min. to compress the spring!

Weird, as Jaguar, with the right tools, would charge me €160 (1 hour work) to just compress ONE spring. Not replace them. Just ONE spring. With the correct tools...

Coventry Foundation 01-09-2019 02:29 PM

I would not say weird I would guess they just charged an hour. If the car is on stands/lift and the wheel is off it literally takes a min. or so. So lift car--remove wheel--get tool I can see that nearing an hour but the actual spring work did not--unless the tool is damaged. As an example with springs on the rear of the old IRS units with the correct tools all 4 can be taken apart and new shocks inserted in less than 30 mins. The screw threads are so fine most time is rotating the handle but almost no effort. Have not measured it but my guess is 5 ft lbs or so on the handle. The front coils are harder but the the winged handle is more than long enough to make the job easy. The biggest issue we have had is making sure the "owner" knows which car he has. The XJ-S uses a different tool than the XJS.

Jagsandmgs 01-09-2019 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2011372)
The XJ-S uses a different tool than the XJS.

No it doesn’t. I have both the early factory tool which is used on all XJ-S/XJS, and the later tool for XJ40 and later. You could probably use the later tool on an earlier car, but considering how small the retaining peg is vs the giant bronze wedge of the earlier tool, I’d prefer the earlier tool.

Daim 01-09-2019 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2011372)
I would not say weird I would guess they just charged an hour. If the car is on stands/lift and the wheel is off it literally takes a min. or so. So lift car--remove wheel--get tool I can see that nearing an hour but the actual spring work did not--unless the tool is damaged. As an example with springs on the rear of the old IRS units with the correct tools all 4 can be taken apart and new shocks inserted in less than 30 mins. The screw threads are so fine most time is rotating the handle but almost no effort. Have not measured it but my guess is 5 ft lbs or so on the handle. The front coils are harder but the the winged handle is more than long enough to make the job easy. The biggest issue we have had is making sure the "owner" knows which car he has. The XJ-S uses a different tool than the XJS.

I would have supplied them the entire front axle without brakes and wheels... So I find it had to understand how it can take only 1 min to compress the spring... I did it myself in the end for €19 as I needed to buy some hardend imperial threaded rods which are like hen's teeth over here.

Coventry Foundation 01-10-2019 06:50 AM

Jags and MGs you are of course right--I was thinking through the entire Jaguar range of the time and should have typed XJ-6 (XJ40 ,300,and so) and all with hidden turret tops. I also agree the pin is small but the only issue is making sure the pin is not lost in transport..

To Daim---I can't explain why they charged so much. I would not have moved it from your transport and just removed it in the truck. Did you actually see them use the correct tool or did they just say they did? The other thought is many dealers and dealer techs just do not want to work on older models for various reasons.

Perhaps we should do some videos---thanks

brinny 01-10-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2011598)
Jags and MGs you are of course right--I was thinking through the entire Jaguar range of the time and should have typed XJ-6 (XJ40 ,300,and so) and all with hidden turret tops. I also agree the pin is small but the only issue is making sure the pin is not lost in transport..

To Daim---I can't explain why they charged so much. I would not have moved it from your transport and just removed it in the truck. Did you actually see them use the correct tool or did they just say they did? The other thought is many dealers and dealer techs just do not want to work on older models for various reasons.

Perhaps we should do some videos---thanks

hour was was probably minimum charge. I am sure by advocating the use of the approved tool you have everyone’s best interests at heart.

Daim 01-11-2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by brinny (Post 2011768)

hour was was probably minimum charge. I am sure by advocating the use of the approved tool you have everyone’s best interests at heart.

No, because they would have charged another hour for the other side ;) And their minimum work time is 1/6th of an hour...

Doug 01-12-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2011598)

To Daim---I can't explain why they charged so much.

To pay for the mahogany furniture, marble floors, and chandeliers. That's why :)

I spent (far too) many years of my life neck-deep in dealership pricing and marketing strategy. I could write a book...on top of the others that have already been written. But, the rawest, simplest gist of the matter is that dealerships depend heavily on profits from service, parts, and body shop departments to cover overhead expenses. XXX-profit is demanded from these departments and all sorts of strategies are used to deliver it.

Cheers
DD

Daim 01-12-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 2012479)
To pay for the mahogany furniture, marble floors, and chandeliers. That's why :)

I spent (far too) many years of my life neck-deep in dealership pricing and marketing strategy. I could write a book...on top of the others that have already been written. But, the rawest, simplest gist of the matter is that dealerships depend heavily on profits from service, parts, and body shop departments to cover overhead expenses. XXX-profit is demanded from these departments and all sorts of strategies are used to deliver it.

Cheers
DD

Indeed. Where ever you can milk a cow, it shall be milked until the cow is unmilkable and can never be milked again. Then 2 cows are to be milked...

Time-Pilot 01-12-2019 03:25 PM

The two greatest words when I worked as a dealership mechanic, "customer pay."