Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Torque settings for oil pan bolts? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/torque-settings-oil-pan-bolts-87060/)

Jagxjs 12-24-2012 06:27 AM

Torque settings for oil pan bolts?

I plan to tighten the oil pan bolts to help mitigate the massive oil leaks under the car. I have performed a search of the site, but cannot locate the torque settings.

Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks!

Doug 12-24-2012 08:33 AM

Checked two of my Jag service manuals and no spec is shown.

Oil pans are not usually clamped down too tight. My guess is a four-finger-pull on your wrench or ratchet handle.

Cheers
DD

Steve M 12-24-2012 04:30 PM

Are you sure that the oil is leaking from the sump (pan) and not dripping down or being thrown from somewhere else and just appearing to come from there?
There must be a reason why the bolts are slack (if they are).
If you have oil leaking out of the sump then the bolts can only be finger tight.
Put a spanner (wrench?) on them and see how much slack that you can take up; if it is more than a quarter of turn (without putting any force on it) then whomever replaced the sump didn't tighten them up properly.
Then you have to ask. Why?
The sump is a non-load bearing or pressurized item so there probably is not a definitive torque setting: it just has to be tight enough to compress the gasket sufficiently to prevent hot oil leaking out.
Hand tighten all the bolts, clean everything that you can reach and then take the car out for a good run (i.e. cane the arse off it whilst watching the gauges).
Jack it back up and see exactly where the oil is coming from.
And don't forget the sump plug (should have mentioned the first); the threads can wear and pass oil.

1974jaguar 07-19-2018 02:00 PM

I read somewhere that the oil sump pan bolts get tightened to 16-20 lbs.
Does anyone know the order the bolts go in; they are different lengths?

brinny 07-19-2018 02:44 PM

There are 3 lengths . There is some small , one medium, and some long. The medium one picks the oil pipe bracket up. The rest speak for themselves when you look at it or try one in. The longest ones go along where it meets the torque converter and the adjacent edge. If you put a small one in and it doesn’t pick any threads up, you need one of the long ones. Hope that helps , I’ve just took my sump off. V12

1974jaguar 07-19-2018 03:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm sure that will help.

Bill C 08-23-2018 07:42 PM

A little late chiming in, but according to the XJ-S ROM, it's 12-15 lbf.ft. (page 06-1).

JayJagJay 08-23-2018 07:59 PM

Only thing I can say is be cafeful,,, even with 15 to 20lbs... Aluminum.

A great mind here says just use a good dose of gasket sealant, no gasket, and keep it moving... Tighten carefully on 30yo aluminum...

jag-reflex 08-23-2018 07:59 PM

Check the TSB's linked above 12-53

Grant Francis 08-24-2018 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ancient thread, but this might help a tad.