Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Would these rear Brake discs Pass an MOT? (V12 XJS) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/would-these-rear-brake-discs-pass-mot-v12-xjs-116291/)

orangeblossom 04-23-2014 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell (Post 960729)
Hi Orangeblossom

I don't think its the TF you'd expect to see. Its a 2010 MG TF as designed by MG Rover in 2002 and when they went bust, built by MG Motor in very late 2009. MG Motor is the UK subisidiary of SAIC of China.

Here is a pic taken in the Staffordshire Moorlands the day I picked the car up. The curlews were calling as I took the photo on an absolutely perfect Spring day.

Hi Fraser

No you are right! I was expecting to see the old one but at least you bought the right Colour!

And it certainly looks a nice one! and possibly one of the best I've ever seen!

I've still got my MGB which is in Sable Brown but the problem is I've now grown out of it, as it just doesn't give me the kind of a 'Buzz' that it used to and even worse there is no difference in the cost of Insurance to an XJS.

Which just looks so Jaw Droppingly beautiful that it isn't unusual for me to burst into tears just looking at her!

So I need the windscreen wipers on, even more than the Car!

ptjs1 04-24-2014 02:37 AM

OB,

As you've discovered, the outbiard disc brakes on late XJSs are an absolute doddle to work on compared to earlier models. No need to drop the cage and everything accessible.

Looking forward to MoT result!

Paul

orangeblossom 04-24-2014 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 961093)
OB,

As you've discovered, the outbiard disc brakes on late XJSs are an absolute doddle to work on compared to earlier models. No need to drop the cage and everything accessible.

Looking forward to MoT result!

Paul

Hi Paul

I can't wait for that either!

But I've got a Silencer problem that is proving an absolute 'pig'

For as soon as I get one end sorted out, the other bit goes all 'dolally'

So She's up and down like a 'Rocking Horse' at the moment!

The problem is I can't take her anywhere without an MOT as I have a mate in an Exhaust fitting place who would let me use their ramp.

So I'm having to do it the hard way, which seems to be the story of my life!

I really do envy those people with ordinary cars but hopefully not for much longer!

sidescrollin 04-24-2014 09:38 AM

care to explain how a MGB is boring compared to a XJS? The XJS has a 3 speed automatic. Other than speed (which isn't the way to enjoy a car) how is it fun to drive?

im not trashing the XJS. It is certainly more fun to drive than any new car, but automatic vs manual? No contest on fun for me

if you have a manual XJS then okay I see your point. The MGB just has a very mechanical feel to it that I enjoy

orangeblossom 04-24-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin (Post 961309)
care to explain how a MGB is boring compared to a XJS? The XJS has a 3 speed automatic. Other than speed (which isn't the way to enjoy a car) how is it fun to drive?

im not trashing the XJS. It is certainly more fun to drive than any new car, but automatic vs manual? No contest on fun for me

if you have a manual XJS then okay I see your point. The MGB just has a very mechanical feel to it that I enjoy

Hi Sidescrollin

I have been driving MGB's ever since I was 20 years old and I really enjoyed driving each and every one of them.

But overtime I've grown to hate driving Manual Cars of any kind, as I am no longer a 'Driver' in the True sense of the word.

Nowadays the only thing I really want to do, is to 'Purr' along in my XJS enjoying the view and the Sunshine, as having to keep changing gear just isn't something that I enjoy anymore.

ptjs1 04-25-2014 04:37 AM

..and whilst I agree that manual cars are generally more enjoyable to drive, you don't have a 3-speed auto. You have a 4-speed electronic box with sport mode and 318bhp and great acceleration, so not quite so boring!

How about booking an MoT around the corner from your friends workshop allowing you to drive the car to his workshop. Once there, of course, you might choose to cancel the MoT booking..........

Paul

orangeblossom 04-25-2014 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 961922)
..and whilst I agree that manual cars are generally more enjoyable to drive, you don't have a 3-speed auto. You have a 4-speed electronic box with sport mode and 318bhp and great acceleration, so not quite so boring!

How about booking an MoT around the corner from your friends workshop allowing you to drive the car to his workshop. Once there, of course, you might choose to cancel the MoT booking..........

Paul

Ahem! I seem to remember doing a little bit of a 'gig' like that in the dim and distant past!

But everything is OK now, as 'Greg in France' has sorted out my problem and not for the first time either!

(see post on: my droopy exhaust)

He also showed me how to fix the Windscreen Washers as well! which is a bit of a 'Cookie Cutter' failure with some MOT Testers.

But I have been doing the rounds in the Merc to try and find the best garage where I could take my Jag for her MOT.

And now I think I've have found it, as I got a good vibe the moment I walked through the door!

Obviously I cannot guarantee that She will pass but I can say it looks very hopeful.

I've spent a long time going through her and have left no stone unturned, so the only job left to do on her, is a new set of link bar rubbers which should arrive on Monday and I'll fit them the same day with any luck.

I used to love driving Manual Cars but having been taken over by the P.C. Brigade, the open road is not as open as it used to be for 'Spirited Driving'

And so the novelty of that has now worn off for me and so hate the idea of being stuck in a line of Traffic, where you are forever having to put your foot on the Clutch to change gear.

Among some of the Manual Cars that I have been lucky enough to own, were a Lotus Elan (with a heavy clutch!) an Austin Healey 3000 and my last Manual Car was a TVR Chimera.

But going back to one of those, would feel exactly the same to me as going back to doing the kind of hard manual work that I've done in the past.

I've been there and I've done that and I don't want to do it again.

Nowadays I am much more in to all of the 'esthetics', rather than being in touch with the 'mechanics'

I wouldn't drive a Manual car now if you paid me in 'gold bars' as I like to take it easy and waft along in my XJS and enjoy a relaxing drive.

I know that may not be everyone's idea of what having fun in your Car is supposed to be all about but like everything else in life, sometimes you just feel like a change and move on.

orangeblossom 04-26-2014 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 961922)

Paul

Hi Paul

I think we may have got our wires crossed somewhere, as Sidescrollin was right about the Car I'm driving, or at least I'm hoping to be driving very soon!

She is a 3 speed Auto XJS V12 while the car you mentioned is a stop gap I'm using until I finally manage to get the V12 MOT'd.

But you can still play in this Car if you want to (which I don't)

As someone I know (not me of course....!) took her up from second and then changed into third, which felt as if you were being fired from the deck of an Aircraft carrier's Catapult!

ptjs1 04-26-2014 05:08 AM

OB,

Sorry, I misunderstood which you were discussing!

I often go to watch the XJS racing and some V12 drivers still have the 3-speed auto boxes. When used "manually" as you describe, they can still seem to make the old girls really move!

Paul