Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   '07 XK Coupe yes or no? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/07-xk-coupe-yes-no-212146/)

timfountain 12-27-2018 11:23 AM

'07 XK Coupe yes or no?

I've got my eye on a nice well optioned 2007 XK Coupe, 2 owners, full history, 87k miles. I am not really a convertible kind of guy and well, I live in Portland, OR so top down driving opportunities are pretty rare. Currently I have an '09 XF SC with 64K so going to the NA 2007 would be a drop in performance, but really, these days what does that matter? I like the way both cars drive, and XK feels lighter and more connected that th XFSC, which is not really a surprise and the 4.2AJ8 is a beautiful engine whether NA or SC.

So what's my question? I'd love to hear from anyone that has gone from an XF to an XK, and also thoughts on the 2007 MY specifically. I'd also like to hear about any common problems to the early XK's. I know about the leather dash issue but other than that, anything to watch out for? Of course in the looks dept it's also a no contest IMHO!

Thanks in Advance

- Tim

SinF 12-27-2018 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 2005846)
I am not really a convertible kind of guy and well, I live in Portland, OR so top down driving opportunities are pretty rare.

I am "convertible kind of guy" and thoroughly enjoy top-down driving, generally driving top and windows down every chance I get. However, convertible isn't suitable year-round car where I live and I would never consider one if it was my only car.

If you are not interested in a convertible, then you are accepting substantial downsides over conventional hard roof coupe - convertibles are louder than coupe, harder to clean (e.g. you can't do auto wash), and prone to unique types of failures (e.g. seals start leaking).

My suggestion: reconsider not linking driving top down.

Brewtech 12-27-2018 11:42 AM

I have a 2007 base XK in Emerald Fire. Gorgeous car, and I drive it daily in Hollywood traffic. Ive drove it all the way Seattle a month ago and it was glorious. Theyre made for the rain, and blend in beautifully in the PNW

sov211 12-27-2018 12:04 PM

And I had a 2007 XK coupe in Jaguar Racing Green - simply stunningly beautiful and absolutely trouble-free, still in the family. There is no particular issue with the 07 car compared to other model years, and the 4.2 litre naturally-aspirated is problem-free. The thermostat and housing should be replaced if it has not been done already but other than that, no issues (the XK likes full battery voltage, so a CTEK or similar battery maintainer used regularly, is a very good idea)

NBCat 12-27-2018 12:57 PM

Subscribing to the 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' concept, I personally think the X150 coupe is the better looking of the two.

timfountain 12-27-2018 01:11 PM

Interesting replies, thanks! Do you think I will notice the 100HP difference. BTW this is not a daily driver. I have a Ford Edge to does that duty. The XF/XK will only be for dry weekends....

steve_k_xk 12-27-2018 01:46 PM

Tim with the correct performance mods the n/a 4.2 will be fairly quick and on par with the xf SC without the mods yes it will feel very sluggish compared to your s/c

80sRule 12-27-2018 02:23 PM

How much is the car in question? Given what you've shared, it's between 10-13k right?

Ranchero50 12-27-2018 02:39 PM

I would find a blown XK, best of both worlds.

steve_k_xk 12-27-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2005888)
I would find a blown XK, best of both worlds.

+1

mosesbotbol 12-27-2018 03:51 PM

I would go '08+ to avoid the antenna and Taurus wings. If I were to pick an earlier XK, the color combo would be the most important. Some look jazzier than others.

Sean W 12-27-2018 04:02 PM

Not the XF but I had an XJ super charged. Yes the difference is substantial in performance and the XJ was an absolute blast to drive. 0-60 in 4.2 sec and 100mph felt like 70mph. But she was a big beasty. 17.5 feet long IIRC. That said, I parted with it for the 4.2 N/A. I sigh a few times less as each year passes as the memory fades. I live without the SC but still do miss it. You really can't "not notice" the difference. Only time will erase it from your mind. Insurance is a wee bit less with the 4.2 so there's a positive.
I've had no issues with my 07 XK

I'm with NB Cat in that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't like the look of the vert so that's a non starter for me. Others are visa versa on the subject.

IanXF 12-27-2018 06:27 PM

I went from a 2009 XF premium Luxury to an 08 XK missed a few options but loved the difference in handling drove it for a couple of years and went to a 12 xk

timfountain 12-27-2018 07:09 PM

The car is $15K OTD, no car sales tax in OR.... Autocheck is clean, 2 owners. 86K miles. https://www.curbsidemotors.com/vehic...WA43B675B12606

To me the color combo is great, it has the upgraded audio and 19". I fell it is good, not great, price. Ideally I'd like to find the same color and options as an XKR, but that would be more $ and at least a year newer....

steve_k_xk 12-27-2018 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 2005916)
Not the XF but I had an XJ super charged. Yes the difference is substantial in performance and the XJ was an absolute blast to drive. 0-60 in 4.2 sec and 100mph felt like 70mph. But she was a big beasty. 17.5 feet long IIRC. That said, I parted with it for the 4.2 N/A. I sigh a few times less as each year passes as the memory fades. I live without the SC but still do miss it. You really can't "not notice" the difference. Only time will erase it from your mind. Insurance is a wee bit less with the 4.2 so there's a positive.
I've had no issues with my 07 XK

I'm with NB Cat in that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't like the look of the vert so that's a non starter for me. Others are visa versa on the subject.

Sean I'm gathering your referring to the 5.0 s/c not the 4.2 s/c

80sRule 12-27-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 2005966)
The car is $15K OTD, no car sales tax in OR.... Autocheck is clean, 2 owners. 86K miles. https://www.curbsidemotors.com/vehic...WA43B675B12606

To me the color combo is great, it has the upgraded audio and 19". I fell it is good, not great, price. Ideally I'd like to find the same color and options as an XKR, but that would be more $ and at least a year newer....

I'd wait and get the R, that price is high for the miles. Most Rs I've looked at had at least the Alpine system, if not the better options than that (depending on year). The Rs came standard with 19" wheels and most seem to have the 20s. You'd likely have a better equipped R for within 2-3k of there if you're looking mileage and age equivalent. Drive one then decide.

jagtoes 12-27-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 2005966)

I assume this car is somewhat near to you. Have you driven it yet so you can get a feel of how it drives. When I started my search I drove 80 miles to take a test drive at a dealer. I just wanted to see if it was a car I would want. After the drive my strategy to to go hunt one down with the color options I wanted. My search was with all of the various car sales web sites as well as some strategic dealers. I didn't want to limit myself to a "local" car just because it was near. I expected to have the car shipped to me so I didn't care if it was 5 miles or 5000 miles away . So if you like what you see then get it but if you want larger choices search all of the US and pick what you want. Remember thee are not fast selling cars so take your time.

timfountain 12-27-2018 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2005985)
I assume this car is somewhat near to you. Have you driven it yet so you can get a feel of how it drives. When I started my search I drove 80 miles to take a test drive at a dealer. I just wanted to see if it was a car I would want. After the drive my strategy to to go hunt one down with the color options I wanted. My search was with all of the various car sales web sites as well as some strategic dealers. I didn't want to limit myself to a "local" car just because it was near. I expected to have the car shipped to me so I didn't care if it was 5 miles or 5000 miles away . So if you like what you see then get it but if you want larger choices search all of the US and pick what you want. Remember thee are not fast selling cars so take your time.

Good questions. I haven't driven this one, and the only XK I've driven was a convertible, which to me had a little too much scuttle shake. So I need to go drive a Coupe. Problem is they are much rarer than the convertible. No coupes under $20k within 200 miles, well there is one but it is black and I swore I'd never buy a black car again!

ralphwg 12-27-2018 10:40 PM

If it were me I would drive the black coupe to get the feel of it as compared to the vert. Living in SoCal, for me its got to be a vert.
To get to your questions: be aware of one further issue common to early XKs. The condensate tube with a duckbill on the end can be an issue when the duckbill gets stuck in the closed position. There are several threads on the Forum dealing with the problem. Suggest you utilize the search box in the upper RH corner to research the issue. Not sure how you can find out if the condensate tube has been modified on any vehicle you look at; but you should be aware of the issue.

Patrick Wong 12-27-2018 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg (Post 2006012)
...To get to your questions: be aware of one further issue common to early XKs. The condensate tube with a duckbill on the end can be an issue when the duckbill gets stuck in the closed position...

​​​​​​In addition to that:

1. Inspect the suspension to see if the ball joint rubber covers need replacement because of cracking.
2. The thermostat housing, coolant reservoir and all engine coolant hoses should be evaluated for replacement. The plastic housing interior will break down and the thermostat may not operate correctly. The coolant reservoir may become brittle and start to leak. The hose which connects from the rear of the coolant pump (engine valley) to the throttle body is difficult to replace without removing the intake manifold.