Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   2010 LED Tailight Conversion Kit Updates? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2010-led-tailight-conversion-kit-updates-36907/)

kj07xk 11-13-2015 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1347516)
kj07xk,

Very nice! I see that you also have Steve's (White XKR) remote top kit. Did you install it yourself? If so, how do you compare that job to your LED tail light conversion? I thought Steve's step-by-step instructions were outstanding, particularly since I'm not a mechanic.

It would be great if Steve (or someone else) could put together a similar wiring harness kit with the required connectors and modifications and his great step-by-step instructions to make it easy for 4.2L owners like me to do this conversion and know it will work without any problems.

Stuart

Stuart,

Yes, I did install Steve's remote top kit. That kit was a piece of cake compared to the taillight conversion. I installed Steve's kit in 4 hours, start to finish, in one evening, and included at least half an hour trying to get the rear seat backs out (I've got the OEM windscreen with it's mounting brackets, which Steve's instructions at the time didn't account for, but they do now).

I maybe spent 20 hours on the tail lights. Much of it spent carefully removing interior pieces (trunk lid liner) and the old lights.
Trying to figure out how to disassemble the tail light socket took awhile before I gave up and looked for a different solution.
Also, since some of the parts specified by George were from Radio Shack (now defunct) I had to find them elsewhere, and Fry's was where I found equivalent pieces, prior to starting this task.

The little aluminum panels that George used for building the load resistor assemblies are also no longer available, as I found out when the ones I ordered turned out to be too small. So I went to my local ACE hardware store and bought a piece of aluminum (2" x 1/8" x 36") and cut off two pieces, each 4" long, and used that for making the load resistor mounting plates.

Yes, a kit with clear instructions on how and what to disassemble would have made this easier, but there is probably still a fair amount of work to be done beyond what the kit could provide.

Good luck if you try it, I'm happy with the results so far.

Stuart S 11-14-2015 12:03 AM

I'm sure glad that I asked you to compare the two projects. While I had no problems installing Steve's kit, it took me about a day and a half to do it. I admit I was slow, but I've never done anything like that before and wanted to make sure that I followed the instructions exactly and didn't screw up anything. The result was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Your comments convinced me that the LED taillight conversion is way over my head, unless I have clear instructions to follow with all the parts I need (except the taillights).

tommyzr 01-12-2016 03:05 PM

2010 Jag xk rear fog/back-up light assy.

I have a 2010 xk coupe. Local dealer says I need to replace entire assembly of the inner rear fog, back-up, reflector located on the trunk lid. My problem is the left sided fog lamp has 2 LEDs of 8 out and the right side all the LEDs light up but are very dim. My thoughts were to replace the 2 LEDs on the left side and then find a poor ground connection. .... nope says the shop manager, need to spend $613.+ to replace entire assembly ... nope says me. Shop manager says both the ground & hot wiring is good. So, has anyone had this problem ? Can I just replace the LEDs in one fog lamp & replace the fog lamp assembly on the right side ??? There is a PN: XR837532 for a fog lamp assy. but is it for an LED application? Cost is $82 to $110 depending where ordered.
:icon_screwy::confused:

kj07xk 01-12-2016 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by tommyzr (Post 1380902)
I have a 2010 xk coupe. Local dealer says I need to replace entire assembly of the inner rear fog, back-up, reflector located on the trunk lid. My problem is the left sided fog lamp has 2 LEDs of 8 out and the right side all the LEDs light up but are very dim. My thoughts were to replace the 2 LEDs on the left side and then find a poor ground connection. .... nope says the shop manager, need to spend $613.+ to replace entire assembly ... nope says me. Shop manager says both the ground & hot wiring is good. So, has anyone had this problem ? Can I just replace the LEDs in one fog lamp & replace the fog lamp assembly on the right side ??? There is a PN: XR837532 for a fog lamp assy. but is it for an LED application? Cost is $82 to $110 depending where ordered.
:icon_screwy::confused:

That part number is a FRONT fog lamp, not the rear.
The left hand inner tail light assembly is part # C2P21459,
and the right hand side is C2P21458.

badicedog 11-15-2019 10:48 AM

Tagged for future project

Shaun718 01-29-2024 08:34 PM

2007 Jaguar XK

Originally Posted by georgekale (Post 241555)
Here a link for photos of 2010 tail light upgrade. Everything work as it should.
Heat generated from the load resistors about 97-105 degrees. Not bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgekale/

Time spent on this project about six hours. Well worth it.

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 Jaguar XK and I would like to upgrade my lights as well. Whatever you can send me (links, video, instructions) id truly appreciate it.

​​​​​

Stuart S 01-29-2024 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun718 (Post 2717024)
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 Jaguar XK and I would like to upgrade my lights as well. Whatever you can send me (links, video, instructions) id truly appreciate it.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by georgekale (Post 246559)
Pdf file for installation instruction is posted in message 51 ...

Enjoy!

George

Shaun,

If you read this thread from the beginning, you would have found George Kale's Post #51, which includes a link to his .PDF file with detailed instructions on how he did this mod.

I thought about doing this LED taillight conversion a long time ago and decided it wasn't worth the cost in parts, time, and aggravation. For what it would cost you to do it today, that money could be put towards buying an XKR. To me, that's a better use of that money.

LED taillights won't get you any more money when you decide to sell your XK, and it might even bring less. It's a lot of money to spend on an appearance item that doesn't make any difference in performance, safety, or comfort. Just my :icon_twocents:.

Bottom line: it's your car, your money, and your choice.

Stuart

kj07xk 01-30-2024 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun718 (Post 2717024)

​​​​​

As noted by Stuart, see post #51 for the pdf file.
Also see my post #99 above, for my clarification of the wiring.
George had his car up for sale, quite a few years ago now, so he’s probably not active on this forum anymore.
Yes, it’s an appearance upgrade only, and I’m still happy I did it.

Cee Jay 01-30-2024 10:01 AM

It's about at the same point of Adding Power to an older XK or XK/R....... It is probably cheaper (and definitely easier) to sell your current car and buy the newer one you want.

kj07xk 01-30-2024 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2717140)
It's about at the same point of Adding Power to an older XK or XK/R....... It is probably cheaper (and definitely easier) to sell your current car and buy the newer one you want.

Not necessarily. I’ve been watching the market for several years, and the correct color combo rarely comes up, and when it does, there’s always been something that shoots it down (outrageous price, or destroyed interior). I may have to resort to buying two cars, one with the exterior I want, and the other with the interior, and then swap the interiors to get ‘my’ car (and sell the loser).