Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   2011 XK: who got successfully rid of coolant smell? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2011-xk-who-got-successfully-rid-coolant-smell-204503/)

Ter11 07-07-2018 12:28 PM

2011 XK: who got successfully rid of coolant smell?

hi all!

I own an XK from 2011 with less than 10k miles. Great car!!

When the engine is warm, there is a very noticeable coolant smell, e.g. after parking the warm car in the garage. I can however not identify any coolant loss. Neither residues of dried coolant anywhere visible in the engine bay, nor any noticeable drop of the coolant level in the expansion tank over last 1500 miles.

Those of you who had similar coolant issues, where was ultimately the problem causing coolant loss?

- Water pump?
- Coolant hoses? If yes, which/where in the engine bay?
- any other component?

Best regards!
ter

NBCat 07-07-2018 12:47 PM

After a cold soak, preferably overnight, pressurise the cooling system to 1 bar for at least ten minutes. Check for any small leaks if the pressure begins to drop.

Ter11 07-07-2018 02:00 PM

The car will go for maintenance service to the repair shop in autumn. I will then certainly ask them to pressurize the system.

But before that I would be interested to learn about the usual suspects in the XK 5.0 NA that lead to coolant loss.

The waterpump is one of them. But my wp is dry as far as I can see for now.

Best regards,
ter

jagtoes 07-07-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1925421)
The car will go for maintenance service to the repair shop in autumn. I will then certainly ask them to pressurize the system.

But before that I would be interested to learn about the usual suspects in the XK 5.0 NA that lead to coolant loss.

The waterpump is one of them. But my wp is dry as far as I can see for now.

Best regards,
ter

If you don't see any visual leaks then a pressure test would be in order. Another place to look is to remove the lower plastic shield and see if there is any stains or fluid on the tray or under the engine. You'll also get a better look at the under side of the WP.

bocatrip 07-07-2018 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1925423)
If you don't see any visual leaks then a pressure test would be in order. Another place to look is to remove the lower plastic shield and see if there is any stains or fluid on the tray or under the engine. You'll also get a better look at the under side of the WP.

. Pressurizing the system will not necessarily locate very small leaks especially from the water pump. I have pressurized my system for my 2010 XK a few times over night with the pressure holding steady. I have still been getting the coolant small after a drive and I do notice very small amounts of coolant loss. However I am very OCD about the coolant level and can notice even the smallest loss of a few ounces.

Cee Jay 07-07-2018 03:20 PM

A tiny pinhole leak will let out very little cold coolant mass-wise whereas air would certainly escape at a rapid pace. A tiny misting of coolant can cause an enormous odor.

wkb 07-07-2018 05:19 PM

i have an 07 that has a persistent coolant smell. Pressure tested and there was no pressure drop. Got distracted and went back 3hours later and there was a puddle of coolant under the car, something that had never happened before. Now to figure out where it’s coming from.

Patrick Wong 07-07-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by wkb (Post 1925487)
i have an 07 that has a persistent coolant smell. Pressure tested and there was no pressure drop. Got distracted and went back 3hours later and there was a puddle of coolant under the car, something that had never happened before. Now to figure out where it’s coming from.

If you can actually see a puddle then the leak should be easy to find. (Make sure this is the orange coolant that has leaked, not water dripping out from the AC system.)

How low is the fluid level in the coolant expansion tank?

Fill the coolant expansion tank with water (since the system will have to be drained once the problem is determined) and see if the leak is obvious. If not, start the engine and the pressure produced by a running engine should make the leak apparent.

I would check in particular:

1. hose that runs from engine valley to throttle body
2. plastic coolant expansion tank
3. black plastic coolant outlet assembly mounted at the front of the engine, below the air intake tube and above the engine coolant pump
4. engine coolant pump bearing

My 2007 had a problem with coolant odor being produced although there were no obvious leaks, I ended up replacing all hoses and items 1 - 3 above. (I have the coolant pump but have not installed it yet as the bearing seems fine.)

Now there is no coolant odor. Some may think of this as using a sledgehammer on a fly, but that was my solution.

Ter11 07-08-2018 03:06 AM

I have already read a lot about the throttle body giving problems such as leaking coolant. Where exactly in the 5.0 NA engine is the throttle body located?

br
ter

Patrick Wong 07-08-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1925654)
Where exactly in the 5.0 NA engine is the throttle body located?

It is at the front of the engine. You probably have to remove the plastic engine cover and the air ducting at the front of the engine to get a good view of the throttle body. The coolant hose connections are at the bottom of the throttle body, so they are probably not going to be easy to see without a mirror and flashlight.

bocatrip 07-08-2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong (Post 1925840)
It is at the front of the engine. You probably have to remove the plastic engine cover and the air ducting at the front of the engine to get a good view of the throttle body. The coolant hose connections are at the bottom of the throttle body, so they are probably not going to be easy to see without a mirror and flashlight.

Is the throttle body coolant leak issue with the XK for the earlier 4.2 motors 2006-2009 or does it include all the 5.0 engines from 2010-2015. I don't recall reading anything on this or any forum with regards to any 5.0 coolant leaks from the throttle body. Please advise. Thanks all.

jagtoes 07-08-2018 06:09 PM

I sometimes wonder if what some are smelling it's just normal engine heat smells. I had a 2 hour cruise today in 85*F temps . Water temp ran between 195* to 207* on the open road and in town traffic. Top down , AC on , seat coolers on and just a pretty day and drive. Came home and parked the car in the garage. Wiped it down and put it up on the lift foe its nightly park. Walking in front of the car I could smell my normal engine "heat" odors but nothing smelled like any brand of antifreeze whether it be green , blue , orange or pink. It just smelled like hot fumes . Could it be that this is the type of smell others have who say they are not losing any antifreeze. Just posing a question .

Patrick Wong 07-08-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1926008)
Is the throttle body coolant leak issue with the XK for the earlier 4.2 motors 2006-2009 or does it include all the 5.0 engines from 2010-2015. I don't recall reading anything on this or any forum with regards to any 5.0 coolant leaks from the throttle body. Please advise. Thanks all.

I'm not aware that the 4.2L (or 5.0L for that matter) throttle body has a problem with regards to leaking coolant. Rather, a potential problem is that a hose which runs from the engine valley up to the throttle body may fail and cause a coolant leak. Often this leak is not visible via inspection until it gets sufficiently bad so that the coolant runs along the center of the engine and exits at the back, running over the transmission bell housing.

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1926017)
...Could it be that this is the type of smell others have who say they are not losing any antifreeze. Just posing a question .

I don't know what other people are smelling with their vehicles. ​​In my case I previously could smell antifreeze, then after replacing all hoses the issue went away. I did the hose replacement in stages, and the smell issue was related to the hoses on the right side of the car and the coolant reservoir.

Ter11 07-09-2018 03:52 AM

Dear all!

Thanks for the input so far!
In order to better structure the discussion, we should clearly state in the responses if they refer to the 4.2 or 5.0 l engines (NA or SC).

@Patrick Wong: your vast experience with eliminating coolant leaks refer to the 4.2l engine, right?

BR
ter

Patrick Wong 07-09-2018 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1926164)
@Patrick Wong: your vast experience with eliminating coolant leaks refer to the 4.2l engine, right?

My experience is limited to my 2007 XK 4.2L ownership for 1.5 years plus reading this forum’s posts on that subject last year, when this issue bugged me.

Ter11 07-09-2018 07:35 AM

Thanks!!
👍

Ngarara 07-09-2018 09:55 AM

2011 model 5.0 supercharged - I could smell cooked coolant after every drive, but there were no puddles and only a very slow drop in the header level. As this is an early-ish 5.0 with the original water pump, I decided to get it checked at my last service. The pump was leaking only very slightly, but was almost seized. With the new pump, there's no coolant smell, even after long runs in the hot temperatures we've been having recently.

You have an early 5.0 - unless the pump has been replaced already, replace it. Even if the problem is elsewhere, the original pump is a real weak point.

bocatrip 07-09-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara (Post 1926315)
2011 model 5.0 supercharged - I could smell cooked coolant after every drive, but there were no puddles and only a very slow drop in the header level. As this is an early-ish 5.0 with the original water pump, I decided to get it checked at my last service. The pump was leaking only very slightly, but was almost seized. With the new pump, there's no coolant smell, even after long runs in the hot temperatures we've been having recently.

You have an early 5.0 - unless the pump has been replaced already, replace it. Even if the problem is elsewhere, the original pump is a real weak point.

I’m one of the fortunate owners of a 2010 XK with the original pump and 10,000 miles. Still smell the coolant and add very small amounts of coolant occasionally to keep it on the proper reservoir mark. I plan on taking it in to a new dealership to have the pump addressed. I’m inclined on paying for the replacement but it seems crazy considering I still have over 1 1/2 years left on my easy care total care warranty.

shemp 07-09-2018 10:31 AM

5.0L 2010 XK. At about 36k miles, I smelled burnt coolant after turning off engine and eventually found an orange stain in the front of the engine just below the water pump. Could not see it without a flashlight. Never had a puddle under the car. I had to add about 10oz every 2-3 weeks or so. I had the pump and plastic tubes replaced by a local dealer. I didn't ask them about the state of the pump they removed though. Coolant smell subsided after about 2 months.

bocatrip 07-09-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 1926333)
5.0L 2010 XK. At about 36k miles, I smelled burnt coolant after turning off engine and eventually found an orange stain in the front of the engine just below the water pump. Could not see it without a flashlight. Never had a puddle under the car. I had to add about 10oz every 2-3 weeks or so. I had the pump and plastic tubes replaced by a local dealer. I didn't ask them about the state of the pump they removed though. Coolant smell subsided after about 2 months.

. Did you happen to notice the part number for your water pump?