Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   2011 XK: who got successfully rid of coolant smell? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2011-xk-who-got-successfully-rid-coolant-smell-204503/)

shemp 07-09-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1926336)
. Did you happen to notice the part number for your water pump?

on the old one? no. On the new one, yes: AJ813909

Ngarara 07-09-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1926324)
I’m one of the fortunate owners of a 2010 XK with the original pump and 10,000 miles. Still smell the coolant and add very small amounts of coolant occasionally to keep it on the proper reservoir mark. I plan on taking it in to a new dealership to have the pump addressed. I’m inclined on paying for the replacement but it seems crazy considering I still have over 1 1/2 years left on my easy care total care warranty.

If it was just a leak, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The problem is, it's often a symptom of a more significant failure of the pump, hence my recommendation. Think of it as insurance against cooking your engine,

Ter11 07-09-2018 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara (Post 1926315)
2011 model 5.0 supercharged - I could smell cooked coolant after every drive, but there were no puddles and only a very slow drop in the header level. As this is an early-ish 5.0 with the original water pump, I decided to get it checked at my last service. The pump was leaking only very slightly, but was almost seized. With the new pump, there's no coolant smell, even after long runs in the hot temperatures we've been having recently.

You have an early 5.0 - unless the pump has been replaced already, replace it. Even if the problem is elsewhere, the original pump is a real weak point.

thanks!! Very interesting!!
what mileage did you have on the car when you changed the water pump?

Best Regards
ter

Ter11 07-09-2018 05:59 PM

@all

Thanks for the vivid participation in this discussion! I believe that the water pump definitely is a strong suspect when a 5.0l XK smells of coolant.

Lets see what else we can find out...

br
ter

ralphwg 07-09-2018 07:30 PM

I had my pump replaced on my 12XK at about 35K miles. I had been concerned about the water pump issue from reading the various threads on it here; so I kept my OBD reader in and the torque application on anytime I was out in the car. The temp began to rise significantly over the typical spread 190-207. I took the car into my dealer with no appointment and sure enough the pump had sprung a leak and was replaced under warranty by Jaguar. This happened 3-4 years ago, so I no longer remember any additional details.

But, the moral of the story. buy an OBD reader (available on Ebay or Amazon) and the Torque app which is available for Andrloid phones and maybe Iphones.

Ngarara 07-10-2018 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1926574)
what mileage did you have on the car when you changed the water pump?

It has about 55 on it, and the pump was changed in May. However, mileage may not be the principal factor - I think corrosion rather than wear has been mentioned as a significant element in pump bearing failure. So, even if the car has low miles, the pump may still be on its way out. Age is always an issue, even in low-milage vehicles; plastics go brittle, rubber perishes, metal corrodes, despite the fact they're going nowhere.

u102768 07-10-2018 05:11 AM

Yup, my '10 XKR had less than 17,000 miles on it when I had the pump changed in November. There was a faint whiff of coolant and the pump shaft had a lot of play in it.

bocatrip 07-10-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by u102768 (Post 1926790)
Yup, my '10 XKR had less than 17,000 miles on it when I had the pump changed in November. There was a faint whiff of coolant and the pump shaft had a lot of play in it.

My pump was smelling of coolant at 5,000 miles after a drive. Now at 10,000 miles the coolant smell is still there as well as having to add a few ounces of coolant periodically. This confirms that our pumps can fail at very low miles. I need to get my car to the Jaguar dealership within the next month. Luckily I drive very little.

Ter11 07-30-2018 11:37 AM

Hi All,

now some miles later after my initial post I can give an intermediate update as follows:

Some days ago I noticed during my weekly coolant level check that the coolant level in the expansion tank had actually dropped. Even if the drop was minimal, it was appreciable now for the first time. I guess the level was very slowly dropping already some time ago, but only now when hitting the min marker I was able to see it properly and for sure. The level dropped from max to min within about 3 months and 2k miles.

Unfortunately I can still not localize the area of the coolant loss. But the smell after turning off hot engine is persistant. Have ordered an endoscope to be able to better inspect the front of the engine, from where the smell seems to come. Will update, if there will be any interesting findings.

Br
ter

bocatrip 07-30-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1938632)
Hi All,

now some miles later after my initial post I can give an intermediate update as follows:

Some days ago I noticed during my weekly coolant level check that the coolant level in the expansion tank had actually dropped. Even if the drop was minimal, it was appreciable now for the first time. I guess the level was very slowly dropping already some time ago, but only now when hitting the min marker I was able to see it properly and for sure. The level dropped from max to min within about 3 months and 2k miles.

Unfortunately I can still not localize the area of the coolant loss. But the smell after turning off hot engine is persistant. Have ordered an endoscope to be able to better inspect the front of the engine, from where the smell seems to come. Will update, if there will be any interesting findings.

Br
ter

Ter11, Both of our scenarios are just about identical. Very little mileage (10,000 on mine), coolant smell after driving, pressure testing shows no drop for me after 3 attempts, no sign of leakage at the WP weep hole or anywhere else, and signs of a loss of coolant. I had my car checked both at Jaguar and an independent with absolutely no clues of where the coolant is going. As we all know the 2010 XK pumps were crap and since we both have the earliest pump, I would say to change the pump for openers as it is not a big expense. Get the latest pump and cross our fingers. I still have a warranty through Easy Care Total Care, so I can save the approximately $800 cost (if the warranty company approves it). We have to start somewhere yes? My only concern is that I am not totally convinced that even the latest pumps have been updated properly and are now deemed reliable. . That is the conundrum! Please keep us posted with what your next move will be. I'll do the same.

Ter11 07-30-2018 04:14 PM

Hi Bocatrip,

I very much agree with your statements and conclusions. We have very similar scenarios. I am also under non-Jag warranty. Must show actual failures to have coverage under my warranty, which is why I need to find the location of the coolant loss. Otherwise my warranty will not cover eg. the water pump replacement, which is agreeably one of the top suspects. Unlike you, I have still not done the pressure testing but would not be surprised at all if same outcome, as the loss is minimal.

What I have done is spending quite some time under hood and with the engine cover removed trying to “sniff” out where the coolant smell comes from... quite ridiculous.

The most “smelly” area is in front of the engine near the top: this is above the water pump in the area of the black plastic coolant duct part. From other reading here in the forum this must be either the front crossover pipe or the thermostat housing, both filled with coolant. I would be interested to get more info on this coolant system part at any rate, if someone has.

Will post any update that come up.

Br,
ter

wrair 08-01-2018 12:45 PM

I, too, had similar experiences to Bocatrip and Terr11. My coolant dropped very little. One day I pulled in the garage and heard an odd noise reverberating of the walls. It was incredible how much the water pump was vibrating/wiggling, yet I never saw that before nor could I locate the antifreeze smell. Regardless of the smell, the pump needed to be changed. Changed the pump (took me some time, but not otherwise complicated).
But the smell still persisted, although the antifreeze tank did not significantly decrease. So I thoroughly washed with a garden hose the under belly pan protector/airflow plastic piece. Voila, as they say, no more smell. Since I didn't take that pan off, I can only presume that the antifreeze dripped there and accumulated over time.
So, my suggestion is don't wait, change the pump now. That pump went quickly from no wiggle/vibration to severe enough that I didn't use the car until I replaced the pump.
I can't remember exactly, but I had about 20K on the car.

Ter11 08-01-2018 01:12 PM

Thanks for the update Wrair!

Could you confirm that your experience refers to an 5.0 NA XK. What year is it? Thank you!

br,
ter

bocatrip 08-02-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1939800)

Could you confirm that your experience refers to an 5.0 NA XK. What year is it? Thank you!

br,
ter

Tier11......As Wrair's signature suggests he also has a 2010 XK Coupe with his failure occuring around 20,000 miles. I was at Jaguar today to reset my service light. Again, I confronted my shop foreman and again he stated no replacement of pump without sign of leakage. Yes we both have warranties which seem to be useless. Considering how much damage can occur if the water pump fails, it might be sensible to bite the bullet and just pay to have the pump replaced. It stinks but it's obvious it's not a matter of if but when the pump will give out. It is not the first time I've heard about the wobble being as much or more of a problem than the seal itself. I have another Jaguar dealership to take my car to before I just change the damn pump. What do you think Tier11? or any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. No fun in driving a car that has a known defect. Even the shop foreman said all the early pumps were problematic.

Ter11 08-02-2018 11:43 AM

Hi Bocatrip!

Thanks for the clarification and the update.

My plans are to show the car at Jag dealership re this problem in August. This upcoming weekend I will inspect the front area of the engine with an endoscope in the hope to find the leaky area.
At any rate I will be asking the Jag dealer to check for leaks and, in addition, to check the health of the water pump verifying if it turns freely and without wobble.

In the long run I would probably also go for the less pleasant solution to have the water pump replaced at own cost.

Best!

bocatrip 08-02-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1940312)
Hi Bocatrip!

Thanks for the clarification and the update.

My plans are to show the car at Jag dealership re this problem in August. This upcoming weekend I will inspect the front area of the engine with an endoscope in the hope to find the leaky area.
At any rate I will be asking the Jag dealer to check for leaks and, in addition, to check the health of the water pump verifying if it turns freely and without wobble.

In the long run I would probably also go for the less pleasant solution to have the water pump replaced at own cost.

Best!

FYI.....When I asked Jaguar to check for the wobble, I was told its not an easy task to get to remove the belt and check the pulley.... Another BS story? Anything to avoid the repair.

wrair 08-02-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 1939800)

br,
ter

Hey Ter11, look at my tag line!
to repeat:, 2010 NA XK,2010.

wrair 08-02-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1940315)
FYI.....When I asked Jaguar to check for the wobble, I was told its not an easy task to get to remove the belt and check the pulley.... Another BS story? Anything to avoid the repair.

for me, I could see the water pumpwobble clearly with the engine at idle.
~wrair

bocatrip 08-02-2018 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by wrair (Post 1940412)
for me, I could see the water pumpwobble clearly with the engine at idle.
~wrair

Really???? Wow! It must have been really ready to let go. I've examined mine over and over for the last 4 years and the pulley that I'm able to see is steady as can be. No signs of wobble or coolant leaks. Only smell and loss of coolant. I'm ready to shoot myself! lol

jagtoes 08-02-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1940315)

I believe you are right as it is easier to check the 5.0 XK vs the 5.0 XKR. Hardly any stuff to move or remove to get at the pulley.