Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Aftermarket Cats (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/aftermarket-cats-279515/)

wsn03 04-22-2024 06:01 PM

Aftermarket Cats

Help please

Bought aftermarket Cats for my 4.2 xkr, 60,000 miles, bought from Catman in England, plus new oem sensors

Only just passed emissions

Anyone bought aftermarket?
Is this a dead end - do I need to pay 3k for oem originals?

Any info appreciated

xalty 04-22-2024 09:37 PM

aftermarket cats suck,

used cats from a 350 find a way to make it work

spalmgre 04-24-2024 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by wsn03 (Post 2743169)
Bought aftermarket Cats for my 4.2 xkr

Seek X350 forums as there seam to be meny 200 cell cats instalations. Meny report no problems. Maybe there is some other problem that the new cat can not hide (filter). O-sensors must also be of original Denso brand.

The cats need to be hot to function properly so you maight need to give the engine some trottel when the measurment is done.

X350 4.2 NA or R has same engina and gearbox as the XK and XKR. There are also lots of other components that are very similar. The part numbers does however differ.

https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...s-c102x2777409

guy 04-25-2024 03:57 AM

If you “just passed” the emissions test and if you are occasionally throwing a code for catalyst efficiency; put a short bung on the downstream O2 sensors.

Aarcuda 04-25-2024 09:34 AM

I too am not a fan of aftermarket cats. I bought a set of pacesetter or Davaco head pipes with cats that were supposedly aftermarket replacements but they were made of the cheap version Catalytic material versus the OEM expensive stuff. I think I paid $200 for each cat and pipe.

I’ve had nothing but persistent, and or recurring codes 0430 and less frequently 0420.

I look at my short term fuel trims and they look great but when I look at the outputs from my secondary O2 sensors, it’s obvious that the cats are not doing what it’s supposed to do. I’m about to make a post on that but long story short I’ve been messing with this damn 0430 code for about three years now, and I can not Stop it permanently or make it go away. I’m about to take the damn head pipes off and reinstall the original pipes that I had. The only reason I removed the original parts was bc of bad welds. The pipes I took off and replaced looked like somebody had welded a new catalytic converters, but the welds were horrible and looked pretty restrictive. I think they necked the pipe down in diameter as it entered the cat. So I replaced them thinking I was doing myself a favor but as I said, I’ve had is nothing but trouble since

My car is an 06 type R

Cee Jay 04-25-2024 10:24 AM

There are a couple shops near me that rebuild catalytic converters for a reasonable fee, usually $300-400 depending on the style and case material. They break open the case and rebuild the guts using all new material. Their timeline is usually one week to complete.

spalmgre 04-27-2024 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda (Post 2744075)
they were made of the cheap version Catalytic material versus the OEM expensive

Jag oem cats are ceramic and therefore restrictive. They do also crack and start ratle.
There are provobly low quality modern metal cats to be found. But if you buy a well known brand (google and find) then they do work well for a very long time.
But there can still be problems as the engine magament is a sensitive system. Meny use ”mini cats” at the secondary sensor. But I have also found posts that the car works better without them.

wsn03 04-29-2024 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda (Post 2744075)
I too am not a fan of aftermarket cats. I bought a set of pacesetter or Davaco head pipes with cats that were supposedly aftermarket replacements but they were made of the cheap version Catalytic material versus the OEM expensive stuff. I think I paid $200 for each cat and pipe.

I’ve had nothing but persistent, and or recurring codes 0430 and less frequently 0420.

I look at my short term fuel trims and they look great but when I look at the outputs from my secondary O2 sensors, it’s obvious that the cats are not doing what it’s supposed to do. I’m about to make a post on that but long story short I’ve been messing with this damn 0430 code for about three years now, and I can not Stop it permanently or make it go away. I’m about to take the damn head pipes off and reinstall the original pipes that I had. The only reason I removed the original parts was bc of bad welds. The pipes I took off and replaced looked like somebody had welded a new catalytic converters, but the welds were horrible and looked pretty restrictive. I think they necked the pipe down in diameter as it entered the cat. So I replaced them thinking I was doing myself a favor but as I said, I’ve had is nothing but trouble since

My car is an 06 type R

I will get some originals eventually and get thrm rebuilt perhaps.
See how i get on with my aftermarkets

Thanks for your response

wsn03 04-29-2024 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2744086)
There are a couple shops near me that rebuild catalytic converters for a reasonable fee, usually $300-400 depending on the style and case material. They break open the case and rebuild the guts using all new material. Their timeline is usually one week to complete.

thanks Cee Jay. There is a company in the UK who does rebuilds. Annoyingly my originals were scrapped but I can get some more - think I will do this during the year for sure. Worth trying

wsn03 04-29-2024 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by spalmgre (Post 2744814)
Jag oem cats are ceramic and therefore restrictive. They do also crack and start ratle.
There are provobly low quality modern metal cats to be found. But if you buy a well known brand (google and find) then they do work well for a very long time.
But there can still be problems as the engine magament is a sensitive system. Meny use ”mini cats” at the secondary sensor. But I have also found posts that the car works better without them.

Thank you, appreciate the info