XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clicking in drivetrain--greasing joints on driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm glad it's fixed; BUT can you tell what was wrong with old part......very important for us to know!

TTFN, Adrian

Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Unfortunately, I did not think to ask for a detailed explanation of what was wrong with the axle. However, the tech did tell me that they didn't even have to drive the car, just putting it in D and R while holding the brakes (and applying a little gas) would make the noise.

It must've had a lot of play in it, because now the drivetrain seems much tighter.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Now my right axle appears to be making the same noise. Has anyone else had this issue? Pretty annoying!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Why didn't you have them do both sides while they were fixing it? If one is going....

Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

$$$$$$$$$$$. Those axles ain't cheap!

Also, I figured perhaps one side was going because of the constant right turns or something. I do think it's weird that both of mine have gone, yet I have not heard anyone else have this issue on the forums.

I'm not entirely certain it's the same noise, though. It happens pretty much under the same conditions, but the noise is more of a a single "snap" sound versus multiple quick snaps/crunch. I'll probably just let it get worse before I do anything about it. Perhaps this time I will try using penetrating lube to get to the splines before I replace.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, you know what, it actually probably can't be the same noise. I replaced the right rear axle, and I hear the noise on the same (right) side.

I'll have to do some more investigating to figure out what conditions the car makes the noise under.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
$$$$$$$$$$$. Those axles ain't cheap!

Also, I figured perhaps one side was going because of the constant right turns or something. I do think it's weird that both of mine have gone, yet I have not heard anyone else have this issue on the forums.

I'm not entirely certain it's the same noise, though. It happens pretty much under the same conditions, but the noise is more of a a single "snap" sound versus multiple quick snaps/crunch. I'll probably just let it get worse before I do anything about it. Perhaps this time I will try using penetrating lube to get to the splines before I replace.
Mine has been doing that snap sound as well !

It's kind of like a solenoid or relay click / snap sound. I only get it while driving it slowly after putting it in Drive and give it some gas from a stand still. Sometimes I can play with the throttle and not make it happen as frequently, but pretty when much slowing the car down on a side road at about 20mph and then giving it gas can make it do that click sound. Also when putting in Reverse and then giving it a little gas it will do same sound. It's just a single click / snap , not a constant clicking as you speed up etc... Just a single click when you have that driving condition. It will do it when the engine is warmed up Etc just the same each time you are giving it gas / decelerating.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Myexcusion, thanks for chiming in. What you have described sounds just like the issue I'm having. In my opinion, it's much louder than a solenoid or relay click. I've also noticed I can make it do the noise by revving in D and R with the brake pedal firmly applied.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:53 PM

Myexcusion, thanks for chiming in. What you have described sounds just like the issue I'm having. In my opinion, it's much louder than a solenoid or relay click. I've also noticed I can make it do the noise by revving in D and R with the brake pedal firmly applied.
yes it is like a loud solenoid click. I'll try doing the rev in gear with brakes applied in a bit and let you know .

Old 07-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a video I took this afternoon of the noise when holding the brake pedal.

According to my records, this snapping sound is on the same side as the side where the axle was replaced. And honestly, it sounds a lot like the last snapping/crunching sound, only that it's much less frequent than before I had the axle replaced.

I'm also not 100% sure if the noise is still coming from the right. It's possible it could be a U-joint in the driveshaft. Or could it also be a bad control arm bushing or something like that?

Last edited by amcdonal86; 07-31-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb

Now my right axle appears to be making the same noise. Has anyone else had this issue? Pretty annoying!
This is why you want to see the old part and get an honest explanation from the tech. Looks like you'll be going back into it if you want it sorted out.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the helpful post

Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to beat you up about it but here's my thoughts on how I would troubleshoot it.

You should be able to lift that tire off the ground and duplicate the noise. Use that to help determine where the problem is. It's hard to say if it's in the half shaft or possibly the wheel hub or differential splines where the half shaft slides in. On the hub there's typically a big lock nut holding everything solid. I think they just slide into the rear, the parts manual should show. The shaft needs to change length some as the suspension articulates due to the geometry of the suspension. Since this is a repeat offense you need to know if it's the half shaft alone again or a fitment problem at the splines. I suspect it's in the splines on the differential side since they should 'float' as the suspension moves and replacing the shaft before just diminished the overall clearance enough that it stopped making noise. I'd be surprised if it's not leaking there too. On the hub side the nut needs to come loose for movement to happen. If you get the shaft out and the diff end splines are washed out the logical next step is to assume that your car was given a poor quality repair the first time around. This time you'll be going into the differential as well to replace the spider gear that has the washed out splines.

Luckily a ton of different models used the same differential. Post up some pics of what you find.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I will have to do some more investigation. I do not believe this is the same noise as before. This noise always existed, even after the axle was replaced, but the axle did get rid of the crunching noise on acceleration, which was a much bigger annoyance.

I think there is a high possibility that this is just brake pads moving around. I know my rear rotors and pads are very worn, so it's conceivable that they could be loose and rattling around somewhat.

This noise is not nearly as annoying as other noises I've had in the past, so I will just live with it until it gets worse. It's not clear to me that it's gotten any worse in 4 years--I think now that I've solved the rattling front brake noise over bumps, I am just itching to find other noises on the car.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Well, after the spring fiasco on the front end if would be feasible the backs are loose too. PITA

Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

It would be feasible--I wonder if this is something I can check without taking off the wheel. I haven't replaced the rear brakes yet, but a previous brake pad change could've caused this.

I was stopped at a traffic light next to a concrete barrier today, and I put it in drive and reverse and depressed the gas pedal enough to make the click sounds. I wasn't entirely sure if it was coming from the back or the front. This is probably the first thing I need to determine.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Parking lot, you walking next to it and spouse driving will tell you a lot.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Parking lot, you walking next to it and spouse driving will tell you a lot.
If I ask her to press the gas and brake at the same time, she is liable to pancake me! Haha

Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well, that's how I found out my wife's Explorer was about to toss the rear wheel. Odd noise when she hit the brakes. Watched her move it and the back tire was wobbling in and out by @ 2" at the tread. Bearing were blown but still held together. Friend from high school had a similar problem with a '71 Chevelle.

Just stand beside it as she moves it a couple feet each way.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by myexcursion
yes it is like a loud solenoid click. I'll try doing the rev in gear with brakes applied in a bit and let you know .
couldn't really do it holding brake down without it power braking and lighting the tires a bit -
the sound is there whe letting off the gas or giving it a little gas but not 100% of the time. It's hit or miss each time I go from a red light or reverese into a parking spot it might or might not do it. Don't even know how to get someone to look for it outside either unless they try to run or bike alongside and it happens to do it, but like I mentioned it's a single click - doesn't get progressively more or louder based on speed Etc.

Quick Reply: Clicking in drivetrain--greasing joints on driveshaft?