Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Engine transplant thoughts. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/engine-transplant-thoughts-220408/)

jagtoes 07-13-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tervuren (Post 2098218)
That 2JZ Vette sure looks and sounds nice.

Jagtoes, aside from access to aftermarket modifications, I'm saying I just do not see the reason to swap one V8 for another V8.

And if you do aftermarket modifications to bump the power of the LS, you hit the same transmission limit that the 5.0L XKR faces.

Yep the transmission could be the problem but I would think it could be fixed. As for the conversions the guys that came to me to have their's done usually told me they loved their Jags but wanted more power with available low cost replacement parts. As we all know Jag resale history is a bargain for those who want a nice exotic. Just got to do a parts price comparison of a 5.0L XKR engine vs a GM LS. As I said it was just a sky blue exercise.

jagtoes 07-13-2019 08:32 AM

This was the last one I did wit a TPI Corvette and a 700R4 transmission. Was a good cruiser.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...3b9aa2c5e2.jpg

BigAlBre 07-13-2019 10:09 AM

I don't know what this means!!

Hello Al, this is the sub section for the aluminum chassis X150.

The XK8 is a different model and chassis, look for the X100 section.

pdupler 07-13-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2098226)
As for the conversions the guys that came to me to have their's done usually told me they loved their Jags but wanted more power with available low cost replacement parts.

Indeed there's a practicality to this, especially for anyone racing, the ability to get replacement parts in time for the next weekend is a big deal, not to mention the cost since they might go through multiples of some parts in a season. Is nice to be able to order go-fast parts from the Summit catalog or get stock parts at your local retail auto parts store. Also advantageous is the ability to just buy a brand new crate engine and not have to mess with used engines and/or rebuilding and plus then you're not commandeering a date-coded motor that some Corvette restorer would love to have.

Tervuren 07-13-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigAlBre (Post 2098298)
I don't know what this means!!

Hello Al, this is the sub section for the aluminum chassis X150.

The XK8 is a different model and chassis, look for the X100 section.

You are not in the section for XK8's.

This is the section for XK8's.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/

Ranchero50 07-14-2019 07:37 AM

I think the VVT would be the major hiccup on the AJ X150's. Otherwise, swap the throttle body and every other wired item onto your whatever fits V8 and go with it. I think the 5.0's would be a train wreck due to the direct injection timing. I assume the pulse width would be way to short for a normal 45psi fed intake injector to flow the required amount of fuel

Tervuren 07-14-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2098665)
I think the VVT would be the major hiccup on the AJ X150's. Otherwise, swap the throttle body and every other wired item onto your whatever fits V8 and go with it. I think the 5.0's would be a train wreck due to the direct injection timing. I assume the pulse width would be way to short for a normal 45psi fed intake injector to flow the required amount of fuel

There are also sensors that feel the vibration from combustion are there not?

Different engine block, how would you translate that?

It'd take a major math nerd more so than traditional mechanic skills.

jagtoes 07-14-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2098665)

I thought the latest version of the LT series had VVT and is a direct FI inject system.

Rey 07-17-2019 09:50 PM

I think the project is doabe, but expensive and time consuming. I recommend buying a running Corvette donor salvage car, complete except for body parts, and use virtually everything from the Corvette, including transmission, braking system, rear differential, electronics, wiring and even instruments including ECU, navigation system and audio head unit.
You'd have a Corvette drivetrain/chassis (sic) on a Jaguar body.

Cee Jay 07-17-2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2100462)

So, a nice looking car that's sort of gross underneath.

Queen and Country 07-18-2019 09:52 AM

In today's day and age, when electric is all the rage.
Doing a push rod gender change would be like stuffing your underwear on the Isle of Lesbos

Tervuren 07-18-2019 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2100462)
I think the project is doabe, but expensive and time consuming. I recommend buying a running Corvette donor salvage car, complete except for body parts, and use virtually everything from the Corvette, including transmission, braking system, rear differential, electronics, wiring and even instruments including ECU, navigation system and audio head unit.

The problem with this, the Corvette puts the gearbox in the back of the car.

I'm not sure the XK chassis has the structure to accommodate this.

Update the rear subframe, update the rear suspension, it'd for sure improve the weight balance of the car to have the Corvette drivetrain.

Because the 'Vette engine is lower and more compact, you might also be able to fit it lower and further back, but I do not know.

There really are not enough issues with the AJV8 as of today where I would want to do the swap. If an engine did fail just swap in another AJV8.