XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Engine transplant thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Default Engine transplant thoughts.

Watching this recent activity on the engine transplant on the XKR-S and being one who's done several Jag/Chevy transplants a thought came to mind. All of these late model engines have similar sensor technology so doing a little sky blue thinking I wonder how an LS swap can be done. If you take all or as many as can be used Jaguar sensors and plug them in the the similar locations on an LS motor what would be the areas that would impede it from running. Also could a tune be done to make these sensors function to the LS needs. The mechanics should not be a problem and most likely you could make an adapter to use the Jag transmission. Just trying to be opened minded on whether this could ever be done. Also not considering cost I would think it could be done. Any speculation here. Just curious.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Watching this recent activity on the engine transplant on the XKR-S and being one who's done several Jag/Chevy transplants a thought came to mind. All of these late model engines have similar sensor technology so doing a little sky blue thinking I wonder how an LS swap can be done. If you take all or as many as can be used Jaguar sensors and plug them in the the similar locations on an LS motor what would be the areas that would impede it from running. Also could a tune be done to make these sensors function to the LS needs. The mechanics should not be a problem and most likely you could make an adapter to use the Jag transmission. Just trying to be opened minded on whether this could ever be done. Also not considering cost I would think it could be done. Any speculation here. Just curious.
I'm no expert but just dealing with my own demons of changing the exhaust and using 200 cell hi flow cats.... The headaches of trying to figure out how to make it all work correctly. These cars are extremely finiky! I guess with enough time and money you can swap anything out, but I wouldn't want that headache.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Buy a GM product with one of their pushrod engines. Easier and cheaper.

The following users liked this post:
AJ16er (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,515 Likes on 3,245 Posts

"cheaper" being the Operative Word.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Might be cheaper to adapt Jaguar body on corvette frame.

The following 3 users liked this post by Canadacat:
Higgins (07-13-2019), Reverend Sam (07-12-2019), sherbercars (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

There's a guy over in the X350 forum who transplanted a Ford 460 big block into an XJ. He didn't bother using the ZF transmission.
He made it run but had a few lights on the dash.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-build-182473/

Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,515 Likes on 3,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadacat
Might be cheaper to adapt Jaguar body on corvette frame.
Maybe an X100 body. It'd be way too much work to adapt an X150 to pretty much an identical chassis.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Just tossing this up for discussion. My bet is that the same amount of sensors used on the XK would be the same amount for the LS. Might be a challenge regarding the Air Mass system as LS/LT uses 1 while XKR uses 2. Would need to look at flow vs volume. May need to change connectors on the injectors but not a big deal. Just need to see if you can match the pulse duration. As for mounting the Alt. or AC or PS it's just a matter of brackets and connectors which isn't a big deal. Looking more at the LT series it seems to be closer to the XK engine features which would make sensor swap more compatible. OK just thinking out loud so enjoy the day.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

A new lead on LS motor just popped up in today's news.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...mes/ar-AAEbZl3

Old 07-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
A new lead on LS motor just popped up in today's news.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...mes/ar-AAEbZl3
Yeah it didn't look like it was an engine fire. tough .

Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

The ECU seems to take a lot of factors based on fixed tables.

Changing all of those different tables at once, and finding the new values would be a bit of a nightmare.

The major benefit of the LS motor is compactness and low CG.

The former won't do you much as the XK is already a big car, you wouldn't be able to take advantage aerodynamically of the motors low overall height.

Although more difficult, and nuttier, the engine swap to a US motor that would have appeal is modify the chassis to take a Dodge Viper V10.

I'm with NBCat, just get a Camaro or Corvette if you want the Chevy engine. A latest generation Viper doesn't offer the 2+2 of the XKR, but it has a nice interior and would also be a good option.

Personally I went the 'Vette route. Wouldn't mind adding a Viper down the road sometime.

The difference in engine height and ability to fit wider front tires from the compactness of the LS engine is pretty amazing when you have both cars to look at and compare.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

speaking of engine transplants I'll let you know how mine goes in a couple of weeks. In the meantime does anyone know if the XK8 engine and tranny come out through the bottom of the car? Or through the top...doesn't seem to be any room to disconnect things from the top. If it's the bottom then I assume the suspension drops out with it....we'll be pulling it next week so a quick response would be appreciated. Thanks Al

Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Engine transplant thoughts. Just curious.
With enough money, anything is possible...

https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/avanti...%203A8&sprx=-1

Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigAlBre
speaking of engine transplants I'll let you know how mine goes in a couple of weeks. In the meantime does anyone know if the XK8 engine and tranny come out through the bottom of the car? Or through the top...doesn't seem to be any room to disconnect things from the top. If it's the bottom then I assume the suspension drops out with it....we'll be pulling it next week so a quick response would be appreciated. Thanks Al
Hello Al, this is the sub section for the aluminum chassis X150.

The XK8 is a different model and chassis, look for the X100 section.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Hellcat.

Or my fav, 2JZ. But I'm biased, this is my 68 Mustang with a 2JZ. Did it all myself.

Engine transplant thoughts.-4kpdlvn.jpg

If my current engine in the Jag craps out I will be seriously looking at an LS or similar. BMW V12?

Last edited by Beau M; 07-12-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

It might be cheaper to buy a used Corvette and hire Chip Foose to put a copy of an XK body on it.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

At least he knows the engine is reliable:

Old 07-13-2019, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
The ECU seems to take a lot of factors based on fixed tables.

Changing all of those different tables at once, and finding the new values would be a bit of a nightmare.

The major benefit of the LS motor is compactness and low CG.

The former won't do you much as the XK is already a big car, you wouldn't be able to take advantage aerodynamically of the motors low overall height.

Although more difficult, and nuttier, the engine swap to a US motor that would have appeal is modify the chassis to take a Dodge Viper V10.

I'm with NBCat, just get a Camaro or Corvette if you want the Chevy engine. A latest generation Viper doesn't offer the 2+2 of the XKR, but it has a nice interior and would also be a good option.

Personally I went the 'Vette route. Wouldn't mind adding a Viper down the road sometime.

The difference in engine height and ability to fit wider front tires from the compactness of the LS engine is pretty amazing when you have both cars to look at and compare.

The post was aimed at discussing the potential of doing the transplant. I've had several Corvette's and don't have any intentions to go back to one although the mid engine 2020 model looks inviting but not practical for me. I do like the thought of the V10 or even a V12 . My earlier conversions were with ford to XKE and a few XJ6 GM 350's and 2 Corvette TPI conversions to XJ-S'. All for other people except for the 76 XJS conversion which I did for myself. Just a little out of the box thinking here .

Old 07-13-2019, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

As a Toyota Supra owner, y'all are killing me! And as a card-carrying NCRS member and former MCA member, I don't know what to say. I knew there were going to be repercussions when Toyota entered NASCAR.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

That 2JZ Vette sure looks and sounds nice.

Jagtoes, aside from access to aftermarket modifications, I'm saying I just do not see the reason to swap one V8 for another V8.

And if you do aftermarket modifications to bump the power of the LS, you hit the same transmission limit that the 5.0L XKR faces.

Quick Reply: Engine transplant thoughts.