Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Exploring replacement car options (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/exploring-replacement-car-options-198434/)

kj07xk 03-21-2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1863134)
no-no-no-no-no... you misundertook.
The desired description was pretty much EXACTLY Lexus IS. I wouldn't think Jagtoes would even bother to look at anything BUT an IS. It's a bit under-powered, but pretty much everything out there is under-powered.

Ahhh, I mistook, my bad! IIRC my IS has more HP than my XK, but probably less torque (need to recheck the numbers).
Sport mode is quick and nimble, pretty easy to fly past any posted speed limit.
Trunk space is generous, and the rear seats fold down for longer stuff.
More than sufficient for my winter use and as a people hauler. Small enough that my wife will even drive it.
Got all the options I wanted, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, wiper heater, front park assist, blind spot monitor and cross traffic alert. Plus I got the color I wanted, Matador Mica Red, over the wife’s objections “not another red car!”.

buddhaboy 03-21-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1860491)
As hopefully spring is around the corner I might be looking at options to replace my 2010 Lexus. So the cars I will be looking at will be a size step down because there are only 2 of us. I will be keeping the XKR for our cruising and weekend excursions. So here are my candidates. Jaguar XE , Lexus IS , Alfa Romeo Giulia and maybe the new KIA stinger. Would like AWD and even manual transmission. So for you gearheads what are some of your thoughts. Also any other candidates in this size range. Just fishin so far.

Lately the XE is the loaner of choice for me, replacing the competent XF, and I would say it is not a car I would buy. There's nothing Jag" about it. I would without a heartbeat jump into a BMW 5 well before the Jag, or the Lexus. But not before a Tesla S. And the Porche Missin E looks as promising. Maybe you should wait...

jagtoes 03-21-2018 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by buddhaboy (Post 1863186)
Lately the XE is the loaner of choice for me, replacing the competent XF, and I would say it is not a car I would buy. There's nothing Jag" about it. I would without a heartbeat jump into a BMW 5 well before the Jag, or the Lexus. But not before a Tesla S. And the Porche Missin E looks as promising. Maybe you should wait...

Sorry no german cars in the picture. Even in our blue collar town they are a dime a dozen . Also no EV . Just personal .

Brewtech 03-21-2018 08:20 PM

Fiat 124 Coupe? ahhh you want a Turbo Volvo.

Cee Jay 03-21-2018 08:28 PM

Lexus LS F-Sport?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...533301ae87.jpg

CleverName 03-21-2018 08:41 PM

I know my '06 Lexus left a sour taste in my mouth... Reliability?...Yes. Techno toys?...Yes.
Fun to drive distances? Not only NO, but HELL NO! Great around town, but 1000 mile trips were a nightmare. Owned the IS350 for a year and a half before I traded it in on a Jag.
Steering and highway control was the worst experience ever. Not to mention the darn electronic steering assist kept jerking the wheel on me at odd times. A computer glitch the dealership could never pin down.

shemp 03-21-2018 09:25 PM

Good thread. I bough a Hyundai Sonata that my son has now and it's a great car. We tried out the Fusion a few years ago and i wasn't impressed. Got the Sonata instead...

I'm also looking for another car. 2-3 year old luxury sedan 300hp min. I rented an Impala a few weeks ago and thats a big no. Nice ride but horrible transmission. The V6 is a dog and the shifting was laggy and choppy. And the view out the rear window is very limited. Genesis is at the top of the list at the moment. The Caddy CTS was on my list until i saw the interior controls. May give it another chance... Same with the Lincoln MKS or MKX but I also don't want a front wheel drive car. I may take a look at the Infinity G50. My neighbor traded his old Lexus for that Buick mentioned above and it looks nice. Gots to ask him about it some day.

kj07xk 03-22-2018 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 1863219)
I know my '06 Lexus left a sour taste in my mouth... Reliability?...Yes. Techno toys?...Yes.
Fun to drive distances? Not only NO, but HELL NO! Great around town, but 1000 mile trips were a nightmare. Owned the IS350 for a year and a half before I traded it in on a Jag.
Steering and highway control was the worst experience ever. Not to mention the darn electronic steering assist kept jerking the wheel on me at odd times. A computer glitch the dealership could never pin down.

Sounds like you got a lemon.
The latest generation of the IS is probably a different animal. Haven’t done any long hauls yet, but a couple of 250 milers have been pleasant highway cruises, and enough to tell me not to subscribe to sat radio when the 2 month free subscription expired (canned drivel).

steve_k_xk 03-22-2018 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1863211)

+1

CleverName 03-22-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 1863286)

Sounds like you got a lemon.
The latest generation of the IS is probably a different animal. Haven’t done any long hauls yet, but a couple of 250 milers have been pleasant highway cruises, and enough to tell me not to subscribe to sat radio when the 2 month free subscription expired (canned drivel).

Not likely, as the car had great attributes in nearly all areas (except no folding rear seat, which stunk). Although we struggled with the computer glitch, I couldn't get the dealership to just swap out the darn control unit, cause it never did it on a test drive.
The killer was tracking on the interstate. It always fought the tramlining, wanting to snap up one side or the other.
I had it In the Lexus shop several times, gave up and then took it to a trusted performance shop. The only solid conclusion that made sense was that the track was not equal to the interstate ruts, so it was always fighting to climb one side of the rut or the other. Lane changes was a tad scary. In the end my arms were spaghetti by the time I reached my destination... Goodbye Lexus, hello Jag, and goodbye sore arms...

Oh, and computer glitches messing with electric assist steering is another lesson from Lexus. I'll stay hydraulic as long as I can before I'll trust ANY computer that can snap my steering wheel before I give it an input...

kj07xk 03-23-2018 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 1863789)
Not likely, as the car had great attributes in nearly all areas (except no folding rear seat, which stunk). Although we struggled with the computer glitch, I couldn't get the dealership to just swap out the darn control unit, cause it never did it on a test drive.
The killer was tracking on the interstate. It always fought the tramlining, wanting to snap up one side or the other.
I had it In the Lexus shop several times, gave up and then took it to a trusted performance shop. The only solid conclusion that made sense was that the track was not equal to the interstate ruts, so it was always fighting to climb one side of the rut or the other. Lane changes was a tad scary. In the end my arms were spaghetti by the time I reached my destination... Goodbye Lexus, hello Jag, and goodbye sore arms...

Oh, and computer glitches messing with electric assist steering is another lesson from Lexus. I'll stay hydraulic as long as I can before I'll trust ANY computer that can snap my steering wheel before I give it an input...

Just googled 2006 Lexus IS steering problems, and you weren’t the only one having issues with the early 2nd gen IS’s steering. There was a recall for some steering related issues, and I read others that sounded like your experience.
That doesn’t appear in the latest 3rd gen version.

wkb 03-24-2018 02:22 AM

I am impressed with the Buick. Drives well, handles well, ride is noticed punishing, handsome inside and out. If only the top went down.

wkb 03-24-2018 02:27 AM

What I really wish is that the Ftype had more leg room and that the trunk held more than a handkerchief and some loose sand. And that if you had a flat tire (and had opted for the space saver spare) there was someplace other than the passenger seat to carry the flat tire.

BruceTheQuail 03-24-2018 03:03 AM

I have the f type coupe as a daily driver. You take out the spare and rely on the can of goo. I can fit 3 cases of sparkling (6 bottle cases) and a carton of beer in the boot (trunk), with room left over for some food. What more would you need?

jagtoes 03-24-2018 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 1864326)
I have the f type coupe as a daily driver. You take out the spare and rely on the can of goo. I can fit 3 cases of sparkling (6 bottle cases) and a carton of beer in the boot (trunk), with room left over for some food. What more would you need?

Add 2 sets of golf clubs and I'm in.

wkb 03-24-2018 09:00 AM

A can of goo is not useful in case of a blowout.

dsd 03-24-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by wkb (Post 1864418)
A can of goo is not useful in case of a blowout.

I can’t recall the last time I’ve seen a blowout— maybe 17 years ago?

In 25 years of driving, ive only used a spare tire twice. Honestly, I could go without given roadside assistance and cell phones.

wkb 03-24-2018 09:41 AM

Wish I was as lucky

Brewtech 03-24-2018 10:42 AM

With a highend sportscar, all you need is AAA to pick up the car and drop it off at the closest tire repair shop with or without you. Because if you’re wearing a tuxedo and have a date with trouble, Im pretty sure you can Uber your ass to your destination as the tow truck shows up. Life is easy these days, a spare or lack of one should not be an excuse for not getting one.

pk4144 03-24-2018 02:40 PM

LOVING this thread, as this is exactly what I'm going to do today (hunt around for a 4-door sport sedan)! Plus, I've got an XE as a loaner for the weekend (XKR is having the Mystery Click addressed and yes I'll let y'all know how it ends up). Perfect.
- XE owners-- what's with the three doorsils? (I don't know how else to describe it) Do you like it, or get used to it? Also, I know this is just XKR-owner whining, but the 4-cyl just just doesn't do it for me. Looking forward to trying the 6-cyl.
- VERY interested to drive the Alfa. And remember, as we all know "reliability" is STILL the knock against Jaguars. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to defend the brand ("yeah, but have you checked into it lately? They're a LOT better..."), so I'm willing to give Alfa a chance.
- BUT... I would be nervous if I moved to an area not near a major city. I've heard they're tied in with Chrysler; is this true?

Oh, and about having a spare... mine were unusual circumstances, but...

We're on location, shooting out in one of those canyons outside of LA, past Santa Clarita (we were about eight miles out on Paceteria Canyon, I think) (And we are in "Afghanistan"). Classic remote canyon in the southwest. Sun's gone down by the time I leave. It's a great driver's road; well-maintained, twisty, remote, decent visibiltiy. So I'm driving pretty hard, and catch up to a local in some BMW. And he punches it, and we jam hard for a bit, and he takes a really odd line on one curve.... because when you crest the curve, there's some debris from a rockslide in the road. He avoids it all; I don't. Hit a sharp-edged rock about the size of a large paving stone. Blow a front tire right out, bend the rim a bit. Oh, and: no cell service where we are.
Goo's not gonna work. Cell phone not an option. If I hadn't had that spare, I would have had to hitchhike.
(Oh, and MAKE SURE THOSE RIDICULOUS JAG LUG NUTS ARE NOT OVERTIGHTENED!!!)