Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   F-Type Centrifuge Wheels on a 2010+ XK/XKR? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/f-type-centrifuge-wheels-2010-xk-xkr-213685/)

hendercc 02-06-2019 03:24 AM

F-Type Centrifuge Wheels on a 2010+ XK/XKR?

I had a tire blowout on my 2010 XK so now I have a cracked Kalimnos wheel and need to get two new tires. My other three Kalimnos wheels could stand to be refurbished due to curb rash. I could get another Kalimnos either refurbished or off eBay and refurb the other three, but I’m also looking at a couple options for a complete set of F-type take offs with wheels and tires. The F-type rear wheels will poke out about 19-20mm more than XK wheels and the fronts are about the same. I’ve seen one thread where someone put F-Type wheels on their XK. Has anyone done this with 19” Centrifuge wheels and have photos? Any other photos of 19 or 20 inch F-Type wheels on an XK/XKR are welcome.

Queen and Country 02-06-2019 03:40 AM

Which 2 tires do you need, front or back?
If your rear Kalminos wheels are fine, I would be willing to buy them from you.
I have a 2010 XKR with Kalminos, and was looking for some to fool around with and widen.

hendercc 02-06-2019 04:14 AM

PsiFox 02-06-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2023922)
Which 2 tires do you need, front or back?
If your rear Kalminos wheels are fine, I would be willing to buy them from you.
I have a 2010 XKR with Kalminos, and was looking for some to fool around with and widen.

i have a full set of 4 Kalimnos in Black with tyres. Came off my 2013 MY2014 XK-R as I fitted Vulcans.

i don’t know if that would be of interest?

Mufc 02-06-2019 08:10 AM

Those Sumitomo's were a real bargain.

hendercc 02-06-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mufc (Post 2023999)
Those Sumitomo's were a real bargain.

LOL. Yes they were! Right up until last week. 😂 I won’t be going anywhere near those for replacements.

SeanU 02-06-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by hendercc (Post 2024028)

LOL. Yes they were! Right up until last week. 😂 I won’t be going anywhere near those for replacements.

Did you hit a pothole in the recent past? I had a Conti Dws 06 split about a week after hitting a pothole. It was not a catastrophic failure... tire split open, but it still retained air. I was lucky enough to see the split before it failed when i was putting air in the tires. I also have the Kalimnos 20" wheels... wish I had 19"s.

110reef 02-06-2019 10:30 AM

The crack in the wheel indicates hitting something, rather than unexplained tire failure. I don't believe the tires are in any way to blame.

hendercc 02-06-2019 11:04 AM

My wife was driving the car at the time and she didn’t recall hitting a pothole, but it could have occurred earlier... or when she drove to a gas station on the flat :-O. The tires had 17k miles on them and the rears were ready to be replaced. We haven’t driven it hard so I would have expected a little more life out of them.

Cee Jay 02-06-2019 11:11 AM

AHHHH!!!!! Drove on a Flat. Yes, that would definitely split an alloy rim.

ANYWAY.... in regards to the rear wheels fitting, even 19mm farther out is disconcerting... 20mm will probably reshape the wheel arch in an undesirable way, which is why those who use spacers on the rear (I don't like spacers, especially on the front. Rear is "ok" but not ideal) use 15mm. 20mm spacers on the front pose no clearance issues.

I think.... Cambo??? posted something about the absolute largest 'spacer' dimension on the rear was 19mm, and that's iffy and tire-dependent.

Queen and Country 02-06-2019 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by PsiFox (Post 2023947)

i have a full set of 4 Kalimnos in Black with tyres. Came off my 2013 MY2014 XK-R as I fitted Vulcans.

i don’t know if that would be of interest?

Sending you a pm.

Cambo 02-06-2019 08:38 PM

In my experience the F-Type wheels are not a good fit on the XK.

XK 5.0L wheels are;
Front 8.5" ET49
Rear 9.5" ET46

F-Type wheels are;
Front 8.5" ET49
Rear 9.5" ET27

While the fronts are the same the F-Type rear wheels will poke out 19mm further on an XK than the standard wheels, that's three quarters of an inch.

Most people with taste would consider that "not good"

PsiFox 02-07-2019 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2024145)
Sending you a pm.

None received as yet.

jagtoes 02-07-2019 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by hendercc (Post 2024085)
My wife was driving the car at the time and she didn’t recall hitting a pothole, but it could have occurred earlier... or when she drove to a gas station on the flat :-O. The tires had 17k miles on them and the rears were ready to be replaced. We haven’t driven it hard so I would have expected a little more life out of them.

The way the pictures look it appears that the rim got cracked from a hard hit to a pot hole or something similar. I am surprised that the TPMS didn't trigger before the tire was ruined. The tire shred after driving on it. My kid had a similar problem because he didn't stop when the TPMS light came on.

hendercc 02-07-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2024450)
I am surprised that the TPMS didn't trigger before the tire was ruined.

I’ve had the TPMS gremlin for some time where the warnings come on almost all the time despite pressure being normal. It’s so unreliable that we ignore the warnings and I just periodically check pressures manually. I’ve tried the recommendations to alter inflation pressures to get them to reset but it’s never worked. I have new TPMS sensors to install with this wheel/tire change to see if that fixes it.

hendercc 02-07-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 2024298)
In my experience the F-Type wheels are not a good fit on the XK.

XK 5.0L wheels are;
Front 8.5" ET49
Rear 9.5" ET46

F-Type wheels are;
Front 8.5" ET49
Rear 9.5" ET27

While the fronts are the same the F-Type rear wheels will poke out 19mm further on an XK than the standard wheels, that's three quarters of an inch.

Most people with taste would consider that "not good"

I agree that it’s a matter of taste and when it comes to wheel styles and spacing, tastes are all over the map. I tend to prefer keeping to the look of the car as originally designed but I’m open to some variation. I was hoping to see some photos from others who may have ventured into this territory but it looks like not many have. There is another thread with a couple photos of F-Type 20s on an XK or maybe an XKR, but it’s hard to get a sense from what I saw,

MarkyUK 02-07-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by hendercc (Post 2024085)

We don't hear that much do we? :D

Hey at least she's OK, but in 37yrs of driving I've never managed to damage a rear wheel, reminds me of when my (now ex) wife reversed into a wall which collapsed on her car causing £2k of damage, she couldn't remember how it happened but blamed the construction of the wall!! :)

The good thing is yours, like mine will be paying for the damage out of her own pocket, won't she?

Or are we in another 'cat flogged' situation...lol

hendercc 02-07-2019 06:32 PM

I’ll blame the Sumitomos or the faulty TPMS or the California roads before I’ll blame my wife. :icon_biggrin:

MarkyUK 02-07-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by hendercc (Post 2024671)
I’ll blame the Sumitomos or the faulty TPMS or the California roads before I’ll blame my wife. :icon_biggrin:

Did she tell you to post that?? :D

Hey wonder why I'm single despite style, charisma and good looks...lol

Queen and Country 02-07-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 2024685)
Hey wonder why I'm single despite style, charisma and good looks...

Cause you've got a collection of rims in the sitting room?:icon_goofygrin: