Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front License plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
Y'all are making this harder than it needs to be. Go to Amazon and buy one of these. It mounts up underneath - no holes in the bumper - and you can slide it underneath for those times when you don't want to display the front plate. I put one on my XK right away as I bought it in FL and live in NE, which requires a front plate on display. Easy peasy.
IMHO that doesn't look good. In NY the missing plate is a few hundred $ fine and if you have one of those hidden plate kits you will see upwards of $500 and maybe confiscation of the car.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your so lucky over there we have to display humongous ones in the UK

The following users liked this post:
GhostRider9000 (11-13-2018)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

As I did, just buy the "Show 'n Go". "Hide it" when you show and "show it when you go". It bolts beneath in the front center of the pan. Needs only one additional 5/16" drilling combined with an existing bolt already in the belly pan. The center mount location is between the oil coolers on either side when the frame is in display mode.
Geez, this is such a no brainer, a "cave man" can do it! Just not worth the $70 dollar fine, at least here in Merry-land.

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate-img_6048.jpg   Front License plate-img_6049.jpg  
LoudHogRider (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't remember if I posted it already, I put the electric show-n-go on mine. Not too bad to install, works fantastic BUT.... it is now the lowest part of the front end so you have to be that much more careful when exiting driveways.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
IMHO that doesn't look good. In NY the missing plate is a few hundred $ fine and if you have one of those hidden plate kits you will see upwards of $500 and maybe confiscation of the car.
I leave mine up pretty much full-time as NE requires the front plate to be on display as well. But it's handy to move out of the way for car washes and if you want to show the car, plus the next owner isn't burdened with filling in the bumper holes if they happen to live in a state that doesn't require a front plate to be displayed. To each their own, but the "Show N Go" works just fine for my needs.

The following 3 users liked this post by LoudHogRider:
jagtoes (06-23-2017), ralphwg (06-24-2017), RedRider48 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

RedRider, saw your post, thank you. Also, someone showed me the hole already on the bumper that is plugged with one of those push and remove things on the far left facing the hood. Just need a screw in type contraption stuck on the back of the plate and it goes right in with a few turns. Seems the most logical place to me. I'll just hold onto the hole cover in the glove compartment or whatever you guys in the UK call it.

Last edited by GhostRider9000; 06-23-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,896 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
RedRider, saw your post, thank you. Also, someone showed me the hold already on the bumper that is plugged with one of those push and remove things on the far left facing the hood. Just need a screw in type contraption stuck on the back of the plate and it goes right in with a few turns. Seems the most logical place to me. I'll just hold onto the hole cover in the glove compartment or whatever you guys in the UK call it.
Yep, that's what I did. The wife thinks it looks a little wonky, being off center like that, but hey, absolutely no holes drilled in the car!
Think they call it a 'tow hook plate holder'.

GhostRider9000 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Yep, that's what I did. The wife thinks it looks a little wonky, being off center like that, but hey, absolutely no holes drilled in the car!
Think they call it a 'tow hook plate holder'.
You are correct, Sir.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

We here in Canada also need to display front plates. Im not a big fan of any front plate mounted on my cars and have come up with a solution that works for me. I cut my plates top and bottom to about 3/8 of an inch of the numbers then I affix them to my front bumper via high quality automotive two way tape. I bend the plates slightly to conform to the bumper 'curve'. I have been doing this for about 12 years now and have been pulled over I think 3 times. Never ticketed. If your going to do it, dont buy cheap tape.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

OK, so let's see your bit of ingenuity.....

Old 06-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by liquid-chris
I don't remember if I posted it already, I put the electric show-n-go on mine. Not too bad to install, works fantastic BUT.... it is now the lowest part of the front end so you have to be that much more careful when exiting driveways.
Yeah, mine has some rash too.........

Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RedRider48
OK, so let's see your bit of ingenuity.....
RedRider48, not sure if this was for my post or for another before mine...... here is what I have done as per the post....

I prefer this as opposed to the full on licence plate holder. it looks better than in the pic

Held on by very good quality two way construction tape able to handle the elements. As I had changed plates on one of the other cars with a bit of patience and a low setting on heat gun removal was possible with no issues to the paint

Old 06-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Fstbmw1;1709094]RedRider48, not sure if this was for my post or for another before mine...... here is what I have done as per the post....

I prefer this as opposed to the full on licence plate holder. it looks better than in the pic

Yea nice trick but wouldn't work here in NY. Looks like you modified the plate which is a ticket here . Maybe 2 because it was done intentionally as opposed to being damaged. But not a big problem as it might be only a $250 fine and a return with proof of it corrected.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:29 PM

[QUOTE=jagtoes;1709099]
Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
RedRider48, not sure if this was for my post or for another before mine...... here is what I have done as per the post....

Yea nice trick but wouldn't work here in NY. Looks like you modified the plate which is a ticket here . Maybe 2 because it was done intentionally as opposed to being damaged. But not a big problem as it might be only a $250 fine and a return with proof of it corrected.
jagtoes, technically cutting a plate can also earn you a ticket here. I have 4 vehicles all with cut plates, and, as I mentioned, I have been pulled over maybe 3 times over many years. All gave me a verbal warning and a bit of a smirk. maybe I have been overly lucky, having said that my neighbour cut his about a year ago and he has not mentioned any ticket issue.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Fstbmw1;1709122]

jagtoes, technically cutting a plate can also earn you a ticket here. I have 4 vehicles all with cut plates, and, as I mentioned, I have been pulled over maybe 3 times over many years. All gave me a verbal warning and a bit of a smirk. maybe I have been overly lucky, having said that my neighbour cut his about a year ago and he has not mentioned any ticket issue.
Good deal so it looks like your LEO's aren't after revenue like they are here.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Some perspective:

We have the luxury of calling a cake "death by chocolate", to the starving world its a uniquely first-world problem to die from a chocolate cake.

In the same vein; Black guy shot in head by cop for missing license plate! in the head.
Black Man Samuel Dubose Shot in Head by Cincinnati Cop Ray Tensing - NBC News

Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Some perspective:

We have the luxury of calling a cake "death by chocolate", to the starving world its a uniquely first-world problem to die from a chocolate cake.

In the same vein; Black guy shot in head by cop for missing license plate! in the head.
Black Man Samuel Dubose Shot in Head by Cincinnati Cop Ray Tensing - NBC News
This is a good example of either not having the front plate if required or if you have any other simple issues with your car. Things like headlight out or broken tail light and so on. My BIL (retired NYS trooper) has always said that usually something out of sorts leads to bigger issues. The the case above based on the article it appears the driver had alcohol and was belligerent. He may not have deserved to die but it also appears that resistance led to the death. Cops go on the offence once their requests are denied. The data shows that motor vehicle violations end up being bigger issues.
As a side bar I used to live 1 mile away from a place called The Hitchcock Estate in Millbrook NY. This was the place where Dr. Tim Leary and his followers used to come on weekends. So every Friday , Saturday and Sunday there was a police roadblock/checkpoint at the gate house. Every car got stopped and was asked a few simple questions. The ones pulled over usually had drugs. Even though the cops knew me and where I lived they still stopped me. After a while we just talked about family and at that time my XKE.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

This is a good example of either not having the front plate if required or if you have any other simple issues with your car. Things like headlight out or broken tail light and so on. My BIL (retired NYS trooper) has always said that usually something out of sorts leads to bigger issues. The the case above based on the article it appears the driver had alcohol and was belligerent. He may not have deserved to die but it also appears that resistance led to the death. Cops go on the offence once their requests are denied. The data shows that motor vehicle violations end up being bigger issues.
As a side bar I used to live 1 mile away from a place called The Hitchcock Estate in Millbrook NY. This was the place where Dr. Tim Leary and his followers used to come on weekends. So every Friday , Saturday and Sunday there was a police roadblock/checkpoint at the gate house. Every car got stopped and was asked a few simple questions. The ones pulled over usually had drugs. Even though the cops knew me and where I lived they still stopped me. After a while we just talked about family and at that time my XKE.
Exactly what I was insinuating. We have an incredible defense shield at our disposal but we dont see it. They have to have a reason to stop you- why give up that shield. Many beat a DUI charge because of inappropriate stop. Others go to the drunk-tank for a brunt bulb. Anymore, a glass of wine at a winery tour and you are over the limit.

I would have pulled you over without a roadblock. Etype in the sixties, near Leary's house, you were bound to have drugs and girls.

MarkyUK (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 07:22 PM

Need to get the cat inspected. Need a front plate. Zip ties or tow hook? Jaguar dealer sales guy told me he saw a tow hook at WalMart for a Jag XKR too, but can't seem to find the same image link he saw. I'm leaning toward zip ties. I didn't notice my inspection sticker expired in June. doh
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by GhostRider9000; 11-04-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I appreciate this is mostly an American thread. Here in the UK went for a stick on plate, the same personal plate I had on my old X100

Not strictly legal but I've only had the police say it was fine, one even tried his speed gun on it and said it registered (despite being non-reflective {?)

For MOT all of the older MOT testers I use have kit cars and are quite forgiving

Old

New

Now if push came to shove I just carry a spare normal sized front plate in the car and some 3m command velcro, so if pulled over by police and warned I'd simply attach it.

Was quoted £100 by a mobile spraying service (Chipsaway) for filling the 6 (??) holes and refinishing, it won't be a flawless finish but will pass muster until next year will get the whole bumper off and resprayed

Quick Reply: Front License plate