Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Locked out.... wow (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/locked-out-wow-90259/)

amcdonal86 02-20-2013 08:33 PM

Let me rephrase. I have much lower expectations of Jaguar reliability/engineering than I would of some other brand whose sole selling point is precision of engineering/reliability!

Muddydog 02-20-2013 09:21 PM

The Jag, she is not a beast of burden to be relied upon like a common donkey! That is why God invented Volkswagens!

Still, I am very sorry to hear about Vince's scratch in his window tint. That alone may have sent me into a catatonic stupor for a few days.

growler05 02-21-2013 01:16 AM

Well said Muddydog!
Speaking about beasts of burden.
One winters day I drove my truck to a clients house to do them a favor and make sure that they had locked their door after they had left on a trip. The house was at the end of a long remote driveway. It was blowing and snowing so just wanting to run out and check the door and run back to the truck I did not put my jacket on and went for it. As I headed for the door I heard the distinct click of the truck door locking behind me. Thomas my Norfolk Terrier climbed up to the window see where I had gone and stepped on the door lock rocker button and locked me out of my truck. There I was freezing my butt outside in the wind and snow, the house was locked, no house key, no jacket, no phone (it was in the truck) and I was ready to strangle my dog. I spent the next half hour, nicely, trying to coax the dog to step on the rocker button again and let me in. He got it a couple of times but alas only on the locking side. It was not going well. Desperate and freezing cold by this time and after scouting around the outside house for anything that could relieve my dilema other than a rock through the window, I found a piece of wire unravelling from the guy wire of a hydro pole way down the driveway. After a number of attempts I fashioned it so I could squeeze it between the window and the door frame. Eventually I managed to poke the door lock rocker button so I could get in. Of course Thomas was really glad to see me. By that time I had cooled off enough I did not have the heart or strength to strangle him.
From that day on, I have always taken the keys with me when I leave the car. Any car.
I scratched my truck too but it was my one ton flat deck. Not quite the same as a Jag.
Sorry about your scratch Vince. You probably won‘t do that again.

apost8n8 02-21-2013 09:06 AM

FWIW, I called our insurance company to order our included roadside and had her back in the car within 30 minutes. They used the same inflatable pillow set up with no apparent damage done. She will always keep her keys on her when getting out of the car now. The real funny part is that she has her keys attached to her wallet but she just grabbed her credit card out of the wallet instead of bringing the whole wallet.

jagxk2008 02-21-2013 01:12 PM

It has happenned to me 3 times with the 08 xk, since i kept the alu key (to open doors only) attached inside a plastic ziplock and (i pass the plastic ring to attach it inside the key hole), under the car, so if this happenned again since each time everything was inside the car, i will be able at least to get in. some may think its bad specially to tell it here but think what can happen when you are outside waiting hours....

Hailers 03-02-2013 07:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The attachment might be of some help.

Parzival 03-04-2013 04:44 AM

I almost had this last weekend.. but the car just beeped and did not lock..

CleverName 03-10-2013 03:25 PM

Well, Just to close this out, I got my 5 blanks from China ($30), ran to my nearest ACE hardware, and had my blanks cut for $5 each.

Considering Jaguar wanted $100+ for the Emergency Key, required my VIN, and three weeks for the pre-cut key to arrive from overseas, I think I did well. I still have 3 blanks to sell on fleabay for $10 apiece!
Total cost for 2 E-keys when done? $10!:icon_banana:

Muddydog 03-10-2013 06:19 PM

Just today I closed my trunk, it unlatched. I closed it again, it unlatched. Hmmm, this can't be good. Open, check to make sure no part of the jacket I just threw back there is blocking it, nope. Close, unlatched. Right about now its occuring to me that the keys were in the jacket pocket. I can't count how many times I have tried to lock my keys in the car, but that's three more in the span of about 30 seconds. Probably I should buy one of those blanks from you.

amcdonal86 03-10-2013 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 693365)
Well, Just to close this out, I got my 5 blanks from China ($30), ran to my nearest ACE hardware, and had my blanks cut for $5 each.

Considering Jaguar wanted $100+ for the Emergency Key, required my VIN, and three weeks for the pre-cut key to arrive from overseas, I think I did well. I still have 3 blanks to sell on fleabay for $10 apiece!
Total cost for 2 E-keys when done? $10!:icon_banana:

Did you test these keys? Do they work? :)

CleverName 10-27-2013 01:52 PM

A week late, but thought I'd post up anyhow...
Kitty once again locked me out.
Car off, fob in cup holder, and I got out to fuel up...
Grrrrrrr....:mad:

Bad part was that I was on my way to get my Mom and take her to the Emergency room, but needed fuel first. Fear was a first reaction! Talk about bad timing!

All I can say is thank goodness I had my hidden emergency key ready!

Bad kitty....

R_Rated 10-28-2013 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 841893)
A week late, but thought I'd post up anyhow...
Kitty once again locked me out.
Car off, fob in cup holder, and I got out to fuel up...
Grrrrrrr....:mad:

Bad part was that I was on my way to get my Mom and take her to the Emergency room, but needed fuel first. Fear was a first reaction! Talk about bad timing!

All I can say is thank goodness I had my hidden emergency key ready!

Bad kitty....

edit... replied from my phone and just read the entire thread. what is the holder in the center console for?

CleverName 10-28-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by R_Rated (Post 842260)
edit... replied from my phone and just read the entire thread. what is the holder in the center console for?

Are you refering to the fob holder? That is an emergency slot in case of a dead fob battery. Guess it is supose to have a reader right next to it to pick up weak signals...
Thats my understanding anyhow...

Normally my fob is in my pocket, but this time I just tossed it in the cup holder. Last time it was in my jacket pocket on the passenger seat, and that lockout prompted me to get spare E-Keys made (and thank goodness)!

Vince

R_Rated 10-28-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 842367)
Are you refering to the fob holder? That is an emergency slot in case of a dead fob battery. Guess it is supose to have a reader right next to it to pick up weak signals...
Thats my understanding anyhow...

Normally my fob is in my pocket, but this time I just tossed it in the cup holder. Last time it was in my jacket pocket on the passenger seat, and that lockout prompted me to get spare E-Keys made (and thank goodness)!

Vince

I started getting notice that my FOB battery was low... I was kind of hoping that using this would somehow charge it. Clearly after reading the manual it's not the case... time to get a new battery before I take her out again.

When I got the car the emergency key was missing in the second remote. Any updates on blanks from China?

CleverName 10-28-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by R_Rated (Post 842411)
When I got the car the emergency key was missing in the second remote. Any updates on blanks from China?

The blanks worked just fine. Now both my fobs are loaded and I have a spare.

Lots cheaper than the dealership price (and wait)!

hawaii 10-28-2013 11:56 AM

Can I buy one of your blanks? PM me if so I can paypal you. Thanks

Ngarara 10-28-2013 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho (Post 680056)
My Fob is always in my pants pocket. I don't think I have ever put the Fob in the receptacle in the center console. I guess I need to read the owners manual and find out why you need to...

Likewise - I seldom use the fob, since the 75 has keyless entry.

You use the fob dock if the battery in the fob has died. The emergency key will get you into the car (after you prise the cover off the door handle to expose the keyhole - passenger side in the UK, not sure in the US), then docking the fob shuts the alarm off and allows you to start & drive the car.

johnnie ryall 11-20-2013 02:14 PM

You should get and error tone (beep) when trying to lock the key in the car. Electronically the key shouldnt get locked in the car. However, If you are in the car with the key, you can mechanically lock the door. The door is locking mechanically because of a fault in the door latch. In most cases, driver's door. Replace the drivers door latch with a NEW one, and torque the mounting screws to 7Nm. Do not over tighten!

guy 11-20-2013 06:47 PM

The car does to allow me to lock the door if the key is inside... I've tried.
The car responds with a double flashing light and a sweet double honk... this perplexes me.

CleverName 11-20-2013 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by johnnie ryall (Post 859246)
You should get and error tone (beep) when trying to lock the key in the car. Electronically the key shouldnt get locked in the car. However, If you are in the car with the key, you can mechanically lock the door. The door is locking mechanically because of a fault in the door latch. In most cases, driver's door. Replace the drivers door latch with a NEW one, and torque the mounting screws to 7Nm. Do not over tighten!

I'll look into this... Car is under warranty but proving the problem can be problematic since it has only done it twice in 6 months.