XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Locked out.... wow

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Locked out.... wow

Well my kitty was feeling playful today 50 miles from home.

Pulled into a gas station, got out closed the door and realized I needed my wallet (center console, along with my phone). Doors were locked...
Key was in my jacket pocket on the passenger seat......

I've read it happening to others, but this was a first for me. Needless to say, I felt pretty stupid with my wallet (AAA card inside) and phone safely locked away inside.

Yeash...

My second fob (at home) lacked the emergency key, so now I have multiple blanks on order, one for my other fob, and one to hide on the car... Feelin old school now!

Vince

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I wonder if this will also happen if the fob is docked in the center console. Sometimes I put it there on long drives -- sooner or later I will get out of the car leaving the fob docked.

Mike

Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

What a stupid design Jaguar has made. Is this because your keyfob battery is low? Or something else?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

So how did you get in???

Originally Posted by CleverName
Well my kitty was feeling playful today 50 miles from home.

Pulled into a gas station, got out closed the door and realized I needed my wallet (center console, along with my phone). Doors were locked...
Key was in my jacket pocket on the passenger seat......

I've read it happening to others, but this was a first for me. Needless to say, I felt pretty stupid with my wallet (AAA card inside) and phone safely locked away inside.

Yeash...

My second fob (at home) lacked the emergency key, so now I have multiple blanks on order, one for my other fob, and one to hide on the car... Feelin old school now!

Vince

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
So how did you get in???
Got the station attendant to call AAA.
Interesting as the tow company slid a small (maybe 6inch by 8inch ) inflatable pillow between the front and rear glass. Pumped it up slightly to flex the glass out enough to slip a 4 foot rod forward to the unlock handle. (Gee, if I had a phone I would have taken a picture! lol)

My understanding is that the car is not suppose to lock from the outside when the key is "sensed" inside. Not that I'm home, I will do some more testing because I'm curious.

I promptly ordered a "lot of 5" blanks for the same price as two individuals. The locksmith still quoted me $25 to cut it...grrrrr

Only sad part is that it did scratch my new (as of Friday) tint on the drivers door. Will call AAA today to see if amends can be made, and if not then I may pay to get the one glass redone. Its not that bad (just over an inch,) but being 2 days new and damaged will do nothing but bug me from that day on...

V

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Vince, you are my kind of car owner... the first scratch no matter how tiny on any pristine surface drives me wild. Especially if it happens like yours did, two days after you had it done. I do guess however that you are out of luck with the AAA guys... Am I right?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Vince,
Sorry that happened to you; when you got out, door should NOT have locked UNLESS you press the handle button. Soo....did you?
Fine print in manual says Don't lock door with key inside! so easy to do of course.......
not a good design as you know know!! Silly Brits at it again............it's a trap for Yankees!!!
Glad you got in! if you are in Seattle area you can always call me (I'm in the phone book) if you remember my name, Adrian Brennan.
Checked my extra key, battery was flat! so thanks Vince!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same with one of my cars (MG) but it was my fault, left the keys in the trunk then closed the trunk and the only way to open it is with a key.

Got the lock man out and it took him 6 hours to break in (no damage at all) but did I feel an idiot....
Now we always have a spare key with us on a chain around the wifes neck...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Happened to my '08 XK 3-times! Twice the car was in my garage with the FOB on the front passenger seat. Once I was on the road, stopped for a few minutes for sightseeing with the driver side window down, FOB inside, and it locked. I did not press the door lock in either instances. So, I lucked out as in the garage instances my spare FOB inside the house was used and the open window saved me on the road. I could never recreate the lock scenario when I tried.

BTW - I did install fresh battery inside the FOB after the first lockout, so that was not the issue.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 02-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

My Fob is always in my pants pocket. I don't think I have ever put the Fob in the receptacle in the center console. I guess I need to read the owners manual and find out why you need to...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

I almost always lock the car with my key fob, thinking that it will save the car's battery, and also not allow me to lock my keys in the car. However, it appears that if you leave your keys in the car, the car will lock on its own when the door is closed. Is this right?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I almost always lock the car with my key fob, thinking that it will save the car's battery, and also not allow me to lock my keys in the car. However, it appears that if you leave your keys in the car, the car will lock on its own when the door is closed. Is this right?
The car is NOT supposed to lock with the keys left inside. In all my attempts to re-create the lock-out scenarios I could never make the car lock with the FOB inside. Yet, it happened 3-times to me. Ghosts of Lucas electricals...

Albert

Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by D-end
I do guess however that you are out of luck with the AAA guys... Am I right?
Waiting for a return call, will let you know!

Originally Posted by britannia
Vince,
...door should NOT have locked UNLESS you press the handle button. Soo....did you?
....it's a trap for Yankees!!!

Cheers, Adrian
lol Thanks Adrian
Alas, I did not press a button that I am aware of.
Our cars have something like 6 "key location" sensors scattered about its body that should prevent it from happening... When inside, the handle button should be disabled. but as I said, I have heard other complain of similar issues, even in my old Lexus.

Hazzards of technology I guess, but i'm putting measurs in place to prevent a re-occurance!

Now that I am home with my spare, it is time to do some serious experimenting..

Vince

Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Vince,
And the moral is: always use key fob to lock the beast OR always lock wife in car and hope she lets you in!
Don't like idea where wife has key around her neck, she might run off with the mailman and there goes the Jag!!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

My wife just called from a gas station 3hrs away and said she is locked out of the xk! Calling roadside assistance for her as her phone is also in the car.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, we have a Toyota/Lexus-style runaway-acceleration sort of thread going on here! Except this time it's with Jaguar and locking the keys in the car!

I think this is one of the great things about Jaguar. With Lexus, you buy it because you want something that's extremely well built, refined, precise, and guaranteed to be reliable. When it isn't, you are supremely disappointed (I've been there!). A Jaguar is so much more than that! It has character, style, beauty. Who cares if the big cat locks you out every now and then? It's like a real cat!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

...A Jaguar is so much more than that! It has character, style, beauty. Who cares if the big cat locks you out every now and then? It's like a real cat!
Hmmm... I'd want to be the fly on the wall listening to your fine rhetorics when it happens to you 3 hours from home... :-)

Albert

Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I've locked myself out of every car I've ever owned. Def not a Jag thing.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Hmmm... I'd want to be the fly on the wall listening to your fine rhetorics when it happens to you 3 hours from home... :-)

Albert
Hahah! I haven't been 3 hours from home yet with the car! But I wonder if the convertible is easier to break into!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6

Albert
I too, think amcdonal86 is pretty much off the mark here. Oh well...

It is truly unnerving to stand outside a perfectly good car in the cold with no money, ID or phone while a significant distance from home. All while watching your afternoon schedule, critical or not, go up in a ball of fur.

I did my best for the circumstances, but had it been my wife 3 hours away, you can bet my stress levels would have been through the roof, especially where her personal safety was put at risk. Hardly an endearing "character" of any car.

I will be making sure it never happens again with a hidden key, that's for sure! (I suspect apost8n8 and his misses will be having a similar conversation this evening.)

Hahah! I haven't been 3 hours from home yet with the car! But I wonder if the convertible is easier to break into!
A pocket knife is fast and easy... as long as your a thief, and not the owner!

-Vince

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott

Last edited by CleverName; 02-20-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locked out.... wow