Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Need some help with head gasket repair for Jag xk 2010 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/need-some-help-head-gasket-repair-jag-xk-2010-a-188909/)

Pamela Madison 09-08-2017 08:04 PM

Need some help with head gasket repair for Jag xk 2010

What is the cost of a job like this? I know ive seen 3000-7000 but realistically what can i possibly get this done for? Im in Las Vegas. Does anyone know any good shops that can do this job for a reasonable rate here?

Thanks Guys Pamela Im new year so go easy :)
:icon_duck:

Ranchero50 09-08-2017 08:12 PM

Can you answer why someone wants the head gaskets changed first? What happened to cause this 'need'? A better description will net a better opinion / answer.

Pamela Madison 09-08-2017 08:26 PM

brought it to 2 shops both confirmed it was head gaskets
I know they both were honest about it because they said they couldnt even do the job.
The car when it gets hot has white smoke coming from exhaust. The incident that caused this was I had a total loss of coolant while driving ..

Mandrake 09-08-2017 08:33 PM

The cost is whatever you're quoted. Do some legwork and call around. If they're all within a reasonable amount of each other, then there's your answer.

Pamela Madison 09-08-2017 08:41 PM

If anyone had the job done please chime in and if you know of a good place in Vegas for repair.

davchr 09-08-2017 08:51 PM

That is a hard one guess at without seeing it. If it is JUST head gaskets - both sides- I would think $2K max. But if the heads are warped they are about $1000 each. There could be more wrong with it. No one can know the extent of damage until it is torn down.

You need to have someone that can do the work look at it and figure out what is needed and what they want for the job. You can get a motor from a crashed car for ~$5000.

Ranchero50 09-08-2017 09:24 PM

Yeah, that sucks. I'd suspect warped heads but hope it's just the gaskets got cooked. Per what's involved, look at Youtube for 4.0 head gaskets and timing chain stuff. 5.0 will be similar with the exception of the direct injection fuel system. Basically pull the front dress and valve covers, time the engine, lock the cams to the heads (and crank to block if possible). Pull the chains, intake and exhaust bits loose and then lift the heads. Check everything for straightness and signs of leakage by the gaskets. The 5.0 service manual should have the specifics. Google it and download it for free.

Horrible situation, might be simpler to go reman on the engine and swap the whole thing out.

steve_k_xk 09-09-2017 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 1756382)
Yeah, that sucks. I'd suspect warped heads but hope it's just the gaskets got cooked. Per what's involved, look at Youtube for 4.0 head gaskets and timing chain stuff. 5.0 will be similar with the exception of the direct injection fuel system. Basically pull the front dress and valve covers, time the engine, lock the cams to the heads (and crank to block if possible). Pull the chains, intake and exhaust bits loose and then lift the heads. Check everything for straightness and signs of leakage by the gaskets. The 5.0 service manual should have the specifics. Google it and download it for free.

Horrible situation, might be simpler to go reman on the engine and swap the whole thing out.

Love it Ranch you make the job sound very very easy , it's not until you've replaced timing chains and or heads on a quad cam engine do you realise how much of a big job this actually is.

On a positive the head can be replaced with out dropping the engine unlike the audi v8

Unsure if you can or will find a replacement 5l any cheaper than the price to have the head gasket changed

JagRag 09-09-2017 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Madison (Post 1756344)
What is the cost of a job like this? I know ive seen 3000-7000 but realistically what can i possibly get this done for? Im in Las Vegas. Does anyone know any good shops that can do this job for a reasonable rate here?

Thanks Guys Pamela Im new year so go easy :)
:icon_duck:

Kensington Motors Cars are good, but I don't think this will be a cheap fix. Kensington Motor Cars ? Las Vegas' Best European Auto Service Center!
Best to call them and get a quote. Good luck with the repair.