XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sold my XK for a 911 - Why did I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 98 Likes on 39 Posts

Well its good you can let go and enjoy the variety of cars. Love the color. Most of my friends have P-cars. I'm actually going on a Porsche Club rally this Sunday with my XKR. I participate in all their rally events and enjoy always feeling welcome.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny

Thanks, Dave. I’m definitely a Jag guy but whenever I see a 928 I start drooling. I wish I still had my ‘90 928S4. Such a great car. I went from owning a couple XJS’s to an ‘85 928S then back to an XJS Rouge and then to the 928S4. Then back to an XJS again. Such a flip-flopper! We also had an ‘08 Boxster we sold a few years ago and that was so fun to drive. It wasn’t even an S. It literally gave us zero problems in the couple years we owned it. I wish I could say that about my XKR. I don’t have any plans to get another 928 but if I do, I’ll keep you in mind. Porsche’s don’t have the styling and soul Jaguars have but they sure have the engineering. I can understand someone wanting something different for a while.
That is funny that you bounced back and forth from 928s to XJs, they seem like totally different cars back then. Yeah, 90 S4 is a great year, much more refined than earlier years, a true GT for sure! The 85 is also a banner year, at least for me, that is the 1st year of the more modern BW style syncro transaxles, bulletproof and eliminates the glitchy shifting on the earlier dog-leg style syncros. The majority of my 928s were 5-Speeds, can only think of 2 autos I owned. So for me, 85 is the entry year for my taste and professional experience, My 85 Euro 5-Speed with my Prototype 16v Supercharger System.was by far my favorite 928 (pic below)

I respectfully disagree about styling and soul, the 928 had gobs of both and the styling still holds true today. Even after 20+ years of ownership, every one I owned were one of those special cars that makes you feel good each and every time you drive it. My XKR is the same. Quite frankly, my 2010 XKR is in reality the "928" I had been trying to build for over 20 years...with even more than I ever imagined. Over the years I developed the World's only Twin Screw Supercharger System for the 928, aero bits, suspension upgrades, and on and on. Some of the parallels are pretty crazy if you knew all of it(don't want to hijack OP's thread any further).

And yes, if you ever venture back into 928 World I can definitely take care of you and save you a lot of money in upkeep and upgrades.

Cheers,

Dave

My 85 Euro S..

The following 2 users liked this post by 10XKR:
thocar (07-18-2018), XJDanny (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
My 2010 XKR is in reality the "928" I had been trying to build for over 20 years...with even more than I ever imagined.
Porsche too has all but conceded that putting the engine over the rear axle is not the way to go.
The XK formula has remained unchanged since time immemorial.
Would love to see how the XK grows on you.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

My 85 Euro S..

Wow on the intake and whole package under the hood! Good for you

The following users liked this post:
10XKR (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Awesome 928! My ‘85 was red too. And your engine...whoa! You are right about the 928 having styling and soul. They definitely do. I meant Porsche’s in general. The 928 is an exception.

And thanks again for for your offer, Dave. :-)

Heres my car I miss so much. It was SO MUCH FUN!!!

Danny

Last edited by XJDanny; 07-12-2018 at 10:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
10XKR (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123

My jaw just dropped...your F-Type is stunning. When did you acquire it? How did you decide on 'that' one? I will be looking for one myself next year, any suggestions when buying one?
Jaw-dropping - a very good description of what the F-Type does to many people, myself included. When the F-Type coupé first became available I was smitten; the very first one I saw on the dealer's lot was in British Racing Green Xirallic (quite rare) with the sun shing on it - brining that paint to life. From then on I knew what was eventually going to replace my Racing Green XK. A couple of years later, after "building" my F-Type on the Jaguar website, I came across this one - fitted with every option available, the right engine (V6S), the right colours (BRG Xirallic and Brogue leather)...it was a decision already made. I have not been disappointed in any way, but the speed available so quickly has shocked me even though I was somewhat prepared for that. It is stunning from every angle and has the performance and comfort to match- and it has another virtue: the F-Type is a rare sight.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Good choice. I also find that Pdealerships tend to know how to work on older models, whereas my Jag dealer in the US told me several times that once the car hits 10 year mark after the end of production, they stop getting new software upgrades and such. Meaning that after a while, they do not know how to do any complicate stuff, just simple maintenance. For me that's an issue since I'd like to keep my car for a long time.

I was in your shoes last year, but luckily I have more garage space

Old 07-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Good choice. I also find that Pdealerships tend to know how to work on older models, whereas my Jag dealer in the US told me several times that once the car hits 10 year mark after the end of production, they stop getting new software upgrades and such. Meaning that after a while, they do not know how to do any complicate stuff, just simple maintenance. For me that's an issue since I'd like to keep my car for a long time.
Funny you say that as all the local Jag dealers call my indy asking how to fix and diagnose older models when they get them. Just as he may call the dealer when they get a newish car that is just out of warranty or the owner wants additional maintenance done beyond what is included with the warranty.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow dude, Beautiful F-Type!! The most "elegant" F-Type I think I have seen!

Originally Posted by sov211
- and it has another virtue: the F-Type is a rare sight.
Must be because of your location, here in Florida F-Types and certainly 911s big time are seen in multiples on a daily basis. In the last 6 months I have seen only 1 X150 heading North on I-75. I am beginning to think (and verified by my UPS and FedEx drivers, :-) I have the only XKR in the area, if not all of Pasco County.

Happy Friday,

Old 07-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Funny you say that as all the local Jag dealers call my indy asking how to fix and diagnose older models when they get them. Just as he may call the dealer when they get a newish car that is just out of warranty or the owner wants additional maintenance done beyond what is included with the warranty.
Yep, apparently Jag dealers get no support from corporate/factory once you pass 10-year mark from the end of production date. So if a diagnostic tool breaks, they cannot get a replacement. Plus, no training for older models. Sucks...

Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Wow dude, Beautiful F-Type!! The most "elegant" F-Type I think I have seen!
Must be because of your location, here in Florida F-Types and certainly 911s big time are seen in multiples on a daily basis,
Thanks! I think so too - dark colours really suit the lines of the coupé . Lots of Porsches here, and Jags too but they tend not to be used as everyday cars. But we do have the largest Jaguar show in North America every summer- on July 28th this year, here in Victoria. My F-Type will be on the field along with a few others among the 120 + Jags.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm of the same method Michael. I am selling my XKR convertible to chase something else. For the past two decades plus I bought new and drove into the ground. Owning the same car for 13+ years. Do simple math and there will only be few cars owned in a lifetime. It hurts to sell my XKR, and I do have a pecking order of a half dozen cars to own in the next 10-15 years, but something tells me re-owning a Jag will be part of the future for me. The 911 is great, enjoy it, and never stop thinking about the next....

Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

My next car, unless Jag comes up with a respectable replacement for the XKR:

Old 07-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Nice, I'm probably in DB9 territory for one of my next. Expensive to maintain and insure, but these are not ordinary cars. How many miles on your 2010 XKR Convertible CJ?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

63,***, but sitting in the garage cuz one bad fuel injector, first problem it's ever had. Now I need to tow it to an Indie in a few days for repair (unless I get some gumption and do it myself. HA!) Too easy to pay someone else to do it in my old age.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J5hort
Nice, I'm probably in DB9 territory for one of my next. Expensive to maintain and insure, but these are not ordinary cars. How many miles on your 2010 XKR Convertible CJ?
My Rapide and Vantage both cost much less to insure (and lower excise tax) than my XE.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My next car, unless Jag comes up with a respectable replacement for the XKR:

Zagato?

Can we be friends? That is some car!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the insurance/excise info. I'll be likley be moving into a DB9. My insurance comparison for the XKR was coming from previus domestic sports car comparison. I'm guessing I should expect the same insurance cost for the DB as the XKR? Give or take a model year or so.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the insurance/excise info. I'll be likley be moving into a DB9.
You working with the local dealer on the DB9? They don't look to have any DB9's at the moment. Vanquish S would be the one I'd go for if you could swing that one.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Thanks for the insurance/excise info. I'll be likley be moving into a DB9. My insurance comparison for the XKR was coming from previus domestic sports car comparison. I'm guessing I should expect the same insurance cost for the DB as the XKR? Give or take a model year or so.
I only do liability insurance.

My Porsche 944's are my least expensive.

My XK places 2nd.

Corvette is most expensive.

Insurance companies work based on location and data for that location. They fit cars in "classes" and use those classes and local data to build their quotes.

Just like cars are segmented into classes driver data is done the same.

So if one driver set is very good with a particular car, and another driver set is not, then the same car and same location may have different rates.

If one location a car class has very low need for coverage, and another location has many instances; then the same car, same driver, will have different rates based on location.

It is not reliable to use some one else's insurance rates to get an idea of your own.

Insurance companies also rank cars when it comes to comprehensive insurance by difficulty/cost to repair.

Quick Reply: Sold my XK for a 911 - Why did I do this?