Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   XKR 5.0 engine failure (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/xkr-5-0-engine-failure-119001/)

jagal 08-29-2014 04:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
block being over bored 20 thou , 0.5mm
Attachment 157286
Attachment 157287

Ngarara 08-29-2014 04:50 AM

Blocks are so much more 'skeletal' these days, compared to the old cast-iron lumps I used to work on.

jagal 12-21-2014 11:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 155983
Attachment 155984
Attachment 155985
Attachment 155986
bespoke oversize forged race pistons

jagal 12-21-2014 11:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 155979
Attachment 155980
Attachment 155981
Attachment 155982
short block all assembled , probably the first 5100cc xkr in uk, next step fit heads /cam timing etc

axr6 12-21-2014 01:06 PM

Wow! 6 months of downtime with the engine.

Assembly looks great, however. Are you doing the work yourself? Are those cylinder liners removable or, an integral part of the block?

Good luck and keep us posted on the final assembly and running of the engine. It would still be very helpful to be able to pin down the cause for the failure. Without that I would be quite worried about a repeat.

XJR-99 12-21-2014 01:19 PM

5054cc - to be exact, if the bore was oversized by 0.5mm to 93mm :)

jagal 12-21-2014 01:45 PM

yes a long time indeed, took a while having the pistons made as they are unavailable from main dealer , the liners are integral to the block

ye 5054cc close enough lol
might ad a few bhp

cheers

Mulmur 12-21-2014 01:45 PM

Not sure if this is helpful or not re: cause.

I now have a Ftype R, but recently had an XKR and when I was at the dealer, the chief mechanic showed me a 5.0 that was holed by connecting rod and had other internal damage. When I asked him what happened he said it was abuse and the computer gave him the information. The owner had downshifted at high speed without watching the rpm's and went well over red line, and blew the engine.

As he was a repeat customer, Jaguar agreed to replace the engine which actually surprised me.

This was at the time I sold my XKR (fabulous car) and bought the Ftype (just as fabulous, or more so) and I am now much more mindful of downshift engine speed.

Lawrence.

jagal 12-21-2014 01:47 PM

ps , looking for torque settings as they too seem to be unavailable? anybody

axr6 12-22-2014 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mulmur (Post 1124860)

I now have a Ftype R, but recently had an XKR and when I was at the dealer, the chief mechanic showed me a 5.0 that was holed by connecting rod and had other internal damage. When I asked him what happened he said it was abuse and the computer gave him the information. The owner had downshifted at high speed without watching the rpm's and went well over red line, and blew the engine.

As he was a repeat customer, Jaguar agreed to replace the engine which actually surprised me.

This was at the time I sold my XKR (fabulous car) and bought the Ftype (just as fabulous, or more so) and I am now much more mindful of downshift engine speed.

Lawrence.

I wonder if the dealer really knew what he was talking about (don't ever take that for granted).

In most modern cars of the last decade, at the least, even manual shifts are controlled by the TCU. It should NOT allow the transmission to be shifted into a lower gear than the speed of the car and its RPM range can safely accomodate. That is one of the HUGE advantages over conventional Manual transmissions where you could scatter an engine by over-revving on downshifts.

Now, it is possible that the electronics failed in these cases but, I would not call that abuse, it would be a clear failure of factory software for which the warranty should apply.

Ngarara 12-22-2014 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jagal (Post 1124861)
ps , looking for torque settings as they too seem to be unavailable? anybody

Torque settings are scattered all through the workshop manual, sometimes at the start of the section, but more often in the steps of the reassembly instructions. Which ones are you after (and do you have a copy of the manual)?

Ngarara 12-23-2014 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by axr6 (Post 1125317)
I wonder if the dealer really knew what he was talking about (don't ever take that for granted).

From the 5.0 Owner's Manual section on manual operation of the gearbox:

Note: The transmission will inhibit up-shifts and down-shifts if the requested shift would result in an engine speed outside the normal operating range of the engine. If this occurs, the message centre will briefly display the requested gear selection, but will return to displaying the current gear.
So, I agree: the TCU prevents over- or under-revving. As you say, the only way for this to happen would be a fault, not driver error. The dealer was talking bollocks.

jagal 12-23-2014 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara (Post 1125426)
Torque settings are scattered all through the workshop manual, sometimes at the start of the section, but more often in the steps of the reassembly instructions. Which ones are you after (and do you have a copy of the manual)?

yes so I see
got them all now thanks

Winston Gilbert 08-24-2015 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by jagal (Post 1124787)

Where did you get the bearings and pistons from, I have the same problem

rfr66 08-25-2015 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur (Post 1124860)

Lawrence.

How do you go over the redline? The computer won't let you down shift if it will go over the redline and if you try to go that high in any gear the rev limiter cuts in preventing it.

FrickenJag 08-27-2015 10:04 AM

Per your description of what happened. I would guess something went wrong with fueling/02/MAF as well. Depending if you were at WOT or not. If you dropped down a gear, if not hard on the throttle I don't see the pulley as the problem. If another sensor was the failure it should have thrown a code in the ECM.
Is there any certainty that this ECM was not reflashed with a different tune? The stock desired A/F is quite rich even with the added pulley. As mentioned by others, the fuel setup is stable to 600hp or so. I'd take a close look at the front O2 sensors and verify they are working properly.
Did you run a higher Octane 110+ leaded fuel at any point?

Regards,
Derek Fricke

MoscowLeaper 09-02-2015 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by FrickenJag (Post 1296332)
I'd take a close look at the front O2 sensors and verify they are working properly.

They doesn't matter at WOT.

FrickenJag 09-02-2015 01:57 PM

Yes. I wasn't sure if the engine went out during WOT or letting off and the ECM switching back to OpenLoop.
In that case, you may want to take a glance at the MAF's just to be safe and see if the voltages are functioning properly once she's back together.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

MoscowLeaper 09-02-2015 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by FrickenJag (Post 1300322)
Yes. I wasn't sure if the engine went out during WOT or letting off and the ECM switching back to OpenLoop.
In that case, you may want to take a glance at the MAF's just to be safe and see if the voltages are functioning properly once she's back together.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Not only MAFs, but the leaks on a intake system, PCV system, some mods of the exhaust system may cause a lean conditions @open loop.
First of all the LTFT/STFT should be checked, if they are out more than a 10% - it should be investigated. The SDD software allows to read adaptive trims from a ECM for a idle/normal/high load condition in almost 1 click.

FrickenJag 09-03-2015 09:09 AM

I need to setup the SDD on my setup. Are you able to log the data with the SDD or just display real-time data?