Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   XKR 5.0 engine failure (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/xkr-5-0-engine-failure-119001/)

MoscowLeaper 09-03-2015 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by FrickenJag (Post 1300973)
I need to setup the SDD on my setup. Are you able to log the data with the SDD or just display real-time data?

SDD is almost unable to datalog.
But, if you want to datalog a generic OBD-II parameters (like AFR, STFT/LTFT) there's a lot of software, which can do it with J2534 adapters (Mongoose is J2534).

Msalvin 10-01-2015 01:43 PM

XKR engine failure

My 2010 XKR engine has just failed completely only done 52k miles. Thought Jag was better than this, very disappointed. The main dealer is proving less than stellar not very confident its going to get fixed quickly. The warranty people are not being to helpful either.Anyone got any tips ?

Norri 10-01-2015 02:43 PM

Welcome to the forum,
We always like to see an intro in the new members section.

Maybe some more details about what happened? Did it blow up, overheat or........?

tberg 10-01-2015 02:52 PM

What was the cause of the failure? When I bought my 2010 XKR about a year and a half ago, I took it to my mechanic who upon listening to the engine for a few seconds, told me (and the shocked previous owner) that the engine was "toast." The car had about 70K miles on it. Sure enough, he had purchased an aftermarket warranty and they paid my mechanic to buy and install a "new" engine. We purchased an engine from a wrecked XKR that had about 5000 miles on it (for $6000). And the insurance picked up somewhere in the neighborhood of $13000 in parts and labor (including the engine). I then bought the car knowing that I had a nearly new engine, my mechanic would warrant all of the work (he's also my tenant), and I wouldn't have to worry about things for a while. We also kept the old engine for future parts source. The cause of the failure was apparently oil deprevation, however, there were never any warnings on the dash! This is why I can't understand the logic behind having no gauges on a high performance car.

I hope things work out for you. What a shame.

axr6 10-02-2015 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Msalvin (Post 1319655)
My 2010 XKR engine has just failed completely only done 52k miles. Thought Jag was better than this, very disappointed. The main dealer is proving less than stellar not very confident its going to get fixed quickly. The warranty people are not being to helpful either.Anyone got any tips ?

Please post the kind of failure indicating the cause. We like to keep track of such info on this board. You just have to keep up the pressure on the dealer and request to meet the district representative from Jaguar.

Originally Posted by tberg (Post 1319721)
What was the cause of the failure? When I bought my 2010 XKR about a year and a half ago, I took it to my mechanic who upon listening to the engine for a few seconds, told me (and the shocked previous owner) that the engine was "toast." ...

...The cause of the failure was apparently oil deprevation, however, there were never any warnings on the dash! This is why I can't understand the logic behind having no gauges on a high performance car.

I hope things work out for you. What a shame.

I find that interesting, particularly in view of my personal belief that the factory recommended 5W-20 oil is far too thin for any high performance driving. Did you, or the previous owner, track the car? At the last service I actually requested that they put 10-30 oil in the car but, the dealer said that if they do that the warranty would be toast. Unbelievable!!!

I will replace that oil with either 10W-30 or more likely with 10W-40 so that I would have better film protection when the car is driven hard during typical CA summer heat.

tberg 10-02-2015 09:29 AM

Albert,
I don't believe the previous owner tracked the car before I bought it. About 3 months before I bought the car, I drove it one evening and did not see any low oil warning light, but most interestingly, I was profoundly disappointed in the car's performance. It seemed very sluggish and slow to respond, not that I was pushing it hard, but in normal street driving. I thought it was much less responsive than my 2002 XKR with 160,000 miles on it. Because of this, I had decided not to buy it. After the new engine was installed, what an enormous difference.

The current trend of eliminating gauges, dipsticks,etc...in favor of warning lights and things like the TPMS system when often they're too late or completely useless (like the TPMS system which gives me and many others false warnings EVERDAY!) is ridiculous. I do track my car 2 or 3 times per year and it makes me very nervous not having any idea of the temperature or oil pressure. Does Jaguar believe that the inclusion of gauges or a dipstick somehow "cheapens" the appeal of a luxury performance car? It's nuts.

Stuart S 10-02-2015 09:41 AM

Msalvin,

The 5.0L engine's water pump is a known defect. If your engine seized due to overheating caused by sudden water pump failure, IMHO you have a strong case for a warranty repair particularly if you have all the service records from Jaguar dealers.

Did you buy your 2010 XKR new or used? If used, was it from a Jaguar dealer CPO?

Let us know more details about how your engine failed.

Stuart

axr6 10-02-2015 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by tberg (Post 1320236)
Albert,
....The current trend of eliminating gauges, dipsticks,etc...in favor of warning lights and things like the TPMS system when often they're too late or completely useless (like the TPMS system which gives me and many others false warnings EVERDAY!) is ridiculous. I do track my car 2 or 3 times per year and it makes me very nervous not having any idea of the temperature or oil pressure. Does Jaguar believe that the inclusion of gauges or a dipstick somehow "cheapens" the appeal of a luxury performance car? It's nuts.

I hope it is not a "trend" to eliminate the instrumentation, like Jaguar has. My 2015 Stingray gives you so much info, coolant temps, engine oil temps, transmission oil temps, intake temperatures, engine hours, oil condition, etc... that the driver is truly able to see the instantaneous conditions that exist in the engine.

For the life of me I can not figure out why Jaguar decided to dumb-down the displays on their high performance cars and engines. I use the Android Torque app to follow the OBD II data in my Jags but, even that does not include engine or transmission oil temps, which are vital informations. I tend to follow the real-time coolant temps, air-fuel ratios, fuel trim data but, sorely miss the various oil temp reads.

jagal 10-14-2015 03:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
sorry for the lack of updates , finally getting to rebuild this engine , new pistons in , gaskets and timing alignment tools bought
Attachment 153511
Attachment 153512
Attachment 153513
Attachment 153514

britannia 10-18-2015 10:34 AM

Jagal,
Great pictures........in the States you can rent the Valve timing tool from JCNA, at least the 4.2L, not sure about 5.0L (may be same!)

Cheers, Adrian

XJR-99 01-09-2016 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was quite surprised when read 5.0 V8 engine manual that they really have gone for cast pistons , also in SC engine. That's a downgrade from forged pistons used in 4.2 V8 engines and back to 4.0 which also had cast Mahle pistons.

Jaguar says:

"The cast pistons incorporate a number of features designed to enhance durability, minimize friction, and reduce wear. "

Cast pistons give longer life but do not like any detonation. Forged and specially the ones made from alloy 2618, give more safe margins for possible detonation and higher boost . This also explains why Arden replaces the stock 5.0 pistons by forged pistons when makes installation of twin-screw SC.

jagal 01-10-2016 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-99 (Post 1378649)
I was quite surprised when read 5.0 V8 engine manual that they really have gone for cast pistons , also in SC engine. That's a downgrade from forged pistons used in 4.2 V8 engines and back to 4.0 which also had cast Mahle pistons.
Jaguar says:

"The cast pistons incorporate a number of features designed to enhance durability, minimize friction, and reduce wear. "
Cast pistons give longer life but do not like any detonation. Forged and specially the ones made from alloy 2618, give more safe margins for possible detonation and higher boost . This also explains why Arden replaces the stock 5.0 pistons by forged pistons when makes installation of twin-screw SC.

yes im upgrading performance so opted for forged bespoke cp pistons
engines assembled now pics to follow

XJR-99 01-10-2016 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jagal (Post 1379259)
yes im upgrading performance so opted for forged bespoke cp pistons
engines assembled now pics to follow

Good decision. My CP : Forged Piston Photo by savirta | Photobucket

kansanbrit 01-28-2021 01:00 PM

I wonder if this engine ever ran again?

Stuart S 01-30-2021 08:21 AM

We probably will never know. jagal's above post #72 was his last. That was over 5 years ago and I couldn't find any posts from him since then, notwithstanding his Public Profile to the contrary.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...747bb55ea6.jpg

kansanbrit 01-31-2021 09:03 AM

It probably didn't then :)

boostedxf 02-23-2023 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by jagal (Post 987280)
any body have any issues with the 5.0 litre supercharged engine detonating and holing a piston?
at a loss as to why , 2010 model , 22k miles fsh
only mod is upgraded pulley ! would that cause failure?

Yup.. which cylinders did you lose pistons on? I lost #’s 4 and 8. Both chipped about 1” at the exact same intake valve relief.

Cee Jay 02-23-2023 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by boostedxf (Post 2617297)
Yup.. which cylinders did you lose pistons on? I lost #’s 4 and 8. Both chipped about 1” at the exact same intake valve relief.

Read Above... Jagal has not been active for SEVEN years.

Brewtech 02-23-2023 10:30 AM

Lots of thread resurrections lately…

boostedxf 02-24-2023 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2617411)
Read Above... Jagal has not been active for SEVEN years.

Damn. Any of you guys lose any pistons? I believe my failure was due to a severe Lean Condition brought on by a “tuner” who somehow loaded NA 5.0 maps to my programmer. Once I figured it out and ran the “correct” maps which somehow allowed me to max out my Boost Pressure Sensor at 29.7 PSI, I cracked the new pulley and it backed off and then backed off the next one under WOT/ “29.7psi” of boost and detonated my engine. So I believe severe lean conditions mixed with +/= 29.7psi of boost (our 3BAR MAP/Boost sensor maxes out at 29.7psi of boost so it could be +/= to that figure but I’ll never know) (no idea how the hell that even happens when stock is 11.6psi from what I understand…)