XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Guy Broad Uprated engine fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guy Broad Uprated engine fan

Hi - First post here (hoping that this XK forum is a bit more active than the other one I initially subscribed to on another site!).

So I recently brought back my Dad's old XK120 DHC and am in the process of doing a 'few jobs' whilst I await the registration process for UK plates. Has anyone any experience of fitting the Guy Broad uprated fan?

Trouble is on trial fitment (with the rad still in place just the top hose and clamps removed, the blades foul the underside of the (new, alloy) radiator.

So question is do I persist with the new fan (painstakingly removing 2-3 mm off each blade) OR stick the original fan back on? Anyone of here used the new upgraded part - is it worth the hassle? I have to think that 'fan science' has moved on a deal in the last 60+ years so wouldn't be at all surprised by the upgraded unit shifting a ton more air than the old unit........ but does the benefit out way the time and hassle to fit it?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Why not ring Guy Broad, as I would have thought your problem is not unique. How does the new rad differ from the old one ?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 AM

All sorted, I 'dremmeled' (new verb) the leading edge off each blade and this solved the problem. Still had to take the radiator out though - which is a bit of a pig to do! I suspect that the difference was very small but with a midified fan and modified rad I'm not surprised there where interference issues

Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Default How does the fan cool

Just wondering if the fan made a difference to your overheating problems. I live in florida and when I get stuck in traffic my temperature rises quite a bit. I would like to try an alternate fan before changing my radiator.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by dtsdave
Just wondering if the fan made a difference to your overheating problems. I live in florida and when I get stuck in traffic my temperature rises quite a bit. I would like to try an alternate fan before changing my radiator.
So somewhat untested I'm afraid as the UK registration number only turned up 2 days ago - also the car didn't (to my knowledge) have a history of overheating but I wanted to take precautionary measures to try and ensure it never does. It also has a kenlowe on the front.....

I will say that the air flow from the new fan is considerably greater than the old one so I'd be amazed if it doesn't help and I think is probably a sensible mod.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new here, but we just had a bung welded on the bottom of the radiator with a thermostat switch that controls a SPAL push fan which we run in conjunction with our stock 6 blade fan. Hope to test it out soon....