XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam,

I want to thank you for the pictures and videos.
In the era of youtube, every DIY topic should be in this type of format.
Please do a video for every fix that you run into. This will help us newbies.

Can you also do a video for the shaky rear view mirror fix?

I will now try to tackle the traction fault/abs error with this full confidence!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great help on cleaning the wheel sensors. Do you think dirty wheel sensors might be the cause of the automatic volume control not working on my radio? It is suppose to (if I understand it right), raise and lower the volume of the radio unit comensorate with the speed of the vehicle. Mine has never seemed to do this since purchasing the auto over a year ago. I have adjusted the AVC from 1-5 and it seems to make no difference. Your input is greatly appreciated. I have a 03 Stype. Thanks

Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by JagYi
Sam,

I will now try to tackle the traction fault/abs error with this full confidence!
I've been making lots of videos. Just check out my youtube channel in the link in my signature line down at the bottom of this post. I'm about to add a new one later tonight which shows how to replace the light bulbs in the climate control unit.

Originally Posted by GaryinOregon
Great help on cleaning the wheel sensors. Do you think dirty wheel sensors might be the cause of the automatic volume control not working on my radio? It is suppose to (if I understand it right), raise and lower the volume of the radio unit comensorate with the speed of the vehicle. Mine has never seemed to do this since purchasing the auto over a year ago. I have adjusted the AVC from 1-5 and it seems to make no difference. Your input is greatly appreciated. I have a 03 Stype. Thanks
I don't think the wheel speed sensors have anything to do with that. You'd be getting all sorts of traction control and ABS errors.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ABS light stays on all the time. it was intermittent first couple times like had to go about 15mph then on.

Now on anytime and every timefor the last week ignition is on stop or moving.

ABS control unit?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

It's hard to say. It could be sensors, ABS unit, or the wiring in between. I'd start with the easy stuff, which is cleaning the sensors. Dirty sensors could definitely cause your problem.

Originally Posted by Fyrplg
ABS light stays on all the time. it was intermittent first couple times like had to go about 15mph then on.

Now on anytime and every timefor the last week ignition is on stop or moving.

ABS control unit?

The following users liked this post:
Fyrplg (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ABS light went out this AM. First drive about ten miles, on as usual.

Picked up my Granddaughter for school started car as usual NO ABS LIGHT. drove trip to school 20 miles. Drive to go home light is still out. Here is hoping the gremlin left, hope it stays away!!!!

Thanks all for the help.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!
I first cleaned the sensors about 2 months ago (thanks to Reverend Sam) and it fixed the error for about 3 weeks before it returned. So I took them off and cleaned them again and this time sprayed contact cleaner on the connectors before putting them back.

That did the trick for about 3 days before the warning light came every morning and lasted until my second or third journey. Now, I am saddened to say, the ABS and traction control lights are permanently on.

Gentlemen - What now? I love my car but it's starting to REALLY bug me.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Ditto what the others said, Sam

EZDriver

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Paul, it could be several different things. You might have a bad wheel speed sensor. There's an explanation on how to use a meter to measure the resistance of each wheel speed sensor. That's the first step. If they all check good, then the next thing to do it to either open up your ABS module and try to repair it yourself, or send it off to a module repair place and have them do it for you. It costs around $100. There's a thread somewhere that explains in great detail how to do the repair yourself. A search will find it pretty easily.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I would like to ammend my earlier post by adding:

"if cleaning has an effect on an ABS lite then more than likely (unless there was allot metal in the dirt you cleaned) the sensor is drifting out of range and will eventuall return."

If the wheel bearing is not loose and connector is ok then 90% of the time its the sensor. Find which one is setting the code and examine it.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Talking No longer a virgin....again!

I feel great! Following Rev. Sam's video and pics (thanks Sam) I cleaned my first two ABS sensors myself, I feel empowered! Don't have the time at this moment but hope to clean the back ones when I can get it lifted. I've never changed a tire myself so jacking up the car is a bit scary.

My last three cars all had the ABS/traction control light on. Once it was a sensor, warranty (Lexus) paid for it but eventually went out again, then they said it was the module.

Now my XK8 ABS/TC lights are on and they are telling me its the module, so I thought I would try and do this part myself. It would be awesome if this took care of my problem and save me 800.00, thats what the dealer said it would cost to fix. So I've been driving without ABS for about year. I have to say I haven't really missed ABS. Actually don't like ABS but I don't like the lights telling me everyday I have a problem either. Wish me luck!

And I didn't even break a nail.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Be careful with the 8mm nut, just snapped mine off on the rr wheel.

Had to drill and tap a 10-24 thread, and put a screw in there to hold it.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This should help with the mirror vibration Jaguar Loose Mirror Repair

Originally Posted by JagYi
Sam,

Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Default So if the cleansing doesn't work?

Are all four sensors the same? If cleaning doesn't stop the problem, do you buy one and move it from one wheel to the next in an attempt to find the guilty party? Then a second, and if that doesn't work, a third then a fourth?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They seem to be magnetic and I scraped the surface rust of both rears and lightly wire brushed them to expose the clean metal.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jockellis
Are all four sensors the same? If cleaning doesn't stop the problem, do you buy one and move it from one wheel to the next in an attempt to find the guilty party? Then a second, and if that doesn't work, a third then a fourth?
In another thread (or maybe in this one even, I'm not sure), another member described how to use a multi-meter to measure the resistance of the individual sensors and the wiring going to them. Just do a search for "wheel speed sensor resistance" and you should find the thread. If you've cleaned them all and still have the problem, check the resistance. If one of them reads bad with a resistor, then change that one. If they all read the same, or if changing a sensor doesn't fix the problem, then the problem is going to be in the ABS module. There's yet another thread about repairing the ABS module. The ABS module can be easily removed, and you can either repair it yourself, or you can send it off to a module repair company and have it repaired and returned to you in less than a week. It's safe to drive the car with the ABS module removed, you just won't have ABS braking, and the warning on the dashboard will be on continuously.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jockellis
The ABS lite is also the code for what set it.
It could be, as an example: left/rear sensor etc.
One has to have a code reader to get the information.

The code helps isolate where to start looking. Usually each wheel sensor has a different configuration.
Depends on the make and model.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This link will take you to a procedure that was made for a 99 xk8 and it may work for your car Jaguar ABS Repair I hope it helps.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Guys.
This is all really great advice. However, I'm a DIY numbskull and do not have the skills or tools to tackle anything more than removing and cleaning the sensors - which I've tried.

I would love to know if anyone in or around Houston would be interested in assisting me with this.

Regards
Sheridan

Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

besides our resident tech Brutal, I cant recall who might be down in the Houston area with ABS diagnostic capability...

bump for luck!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ